Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Right-handed fiddle player, left-handed mando player

Default Re: Right-handed fiddle player, left-handed mando player

After a lifetime of playing, I've had plenty of ills from the concentrated, repetitive movements of specific-handed instruments (and sports like baseball and tennis - which btw max I've always done yoga to deal with "tennis/pitcher's elbow" and anything/everything else). I've had to take long breaks from guitar, double bass, etc. As a drummer I particularly enjoy instruments with equilateral ergonomics - harp, english concertina, some degree with some types of accordions, etc. Playing stringed instruments is all of a kind, and none are particularly technically challenging - from cello/DB to mndln - after a lifetime. But non-stringed types of instruments can be challenging, so those are the ones I play these days when I want to learn something; I love the balance. I occasionally fiddle around L-handed just for sport, but I like the equilateral ones for musical execution.

That goes for sports as well - no more pitching baseballs for me.

2. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

maxr 

Thanks, Charlie,
    Inspired by yourself and others I've now committed to playing righty. And following Niles' example I've spent a few hours this weekend writing right-handed and I've surprised myself with the results which are, at least, legible!
    7p.m. Update: I've just unpacked my Harley Benton. Wow! What a little beauty. Will now tune up and make my first foray into right-hand mando playing. Progress report to follow...

The only instrument which I lean to playing opposite the standard is jews harp. I fooled around with it in high school but never became a virtuoso. Now I follow a bunch of players on Youtube and I actually play it the opposite of the way most do: plucking with the left hand vs. the right. I am not sure why I did that decades ago but makes little difference in terms of the result.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1