Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else have no players near them?

Default Re: Anyone else have no players near them?

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    This is a great discussion and I think it comes down to the logical answer is real time virtual jamming over the internet. I am an IT Network Engineer in my other job, and I can tell you its is very doable but we are not there yet. The biggest limitation being the existing physical infrastructure of the Internet, cabling, routers switches and so on. Other economic factors beyond jamming will drive this progress, so we just need to be ready for it.
    I think the simpler answer is all the sessions need buffering at each end point, but it will take very fast processing to ensure the playback from the buffer is synced with all the other sessions, so distribution that function is the other challenge. They can do it with talking and video, but we can tolerate a little lag here and there, not really the same with group jamming.
    I would think in a few years virtual jamming over the internet will become "normalized".
    I routinely play online with Jamkazam with about a 50 ms time delay, in-person playing is more like 10 ms. Online does not feel like a tight jam, more like a pickup group jam. What latency do you think is needed for virtual playing?

I've tried Jamkazam but my delay was longer than that (I didn't have a hard ethernet connection, just Wi-Fi which was part of it). I have another buddy that swears by it - but says the closer someone is to you, the better the connection.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Registered User Christine Robins's Avatar

There's general agreement among JamKazam users that Wi-Fi isn't fast enough. Hard-wired connection is required. I've jammed successfully with folks in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    I've tried Jamkazam but my delay was longer than that (I didn't have a hard ethernet connection, just Wi-Fi which was part of it). I have another buddy that swears by it - but says the closer someone is to you, the better the connection.
    My experience is that most folks need; fast upload speed, wired ethernet, an external USB Audio Interface that bypasses the computer audio, and a microphone and headphones for a reasonable jamming experience. Jamkazam is not simple a plug and play program, but works well when appropriately setup.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I used meetup.com to find a monthly acoustic jam that meets in this one guy’s barn. It’s actually quite nice - Concrete floor with rugs, electric light, air conditioning, and Wi-Fi.

About 15 people show up to each jam. We mostly play guitar, but we get the occasional mandolin, violin, harmonica, banjo, flute, and one girl splits her time between guitar and acoustic bass.

We go around the circle and take turns calling songs, and people either bring a chart with them or we use ultimate guitar to find out the chords.

I always say the hard part isn’t finding a group, the hard part is finding a place to play. If you have an empty garage, then you can use meetup.com to advertise an acoustic jam and it’s very likely people will show up.