Thread: St. Louis - Who's Here?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default St. Louis - Who's Here?

Hey! I'm in St. Louis for a long weekend, and might have a bit of free time, it turns out. I don't know why I didn't think of asking this before. Does anyone at the Café live here or near? Anything going on, like a jam? It looks like a trip to the blues museum might be in order, but other than that, I don't know what's going on here musically. Open to suggestions.

Also open to recommendations for barbecue.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: St. Louis - Who's Here?

I haven't lived there for 25 years but when I go back to see family I always check the yonder calendar . It put out by there Saturday morning bluegrass radio station. 88.1i don't know if this will help you or not.
    http://www.threecrookedmen.com/kdhx-...-calendar.html

3. The following members say thank you to Kirk Pey for this post:

Beast, Pappy's or Salt + Smoke for barbecue.

5. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

Blog Entries

I'll bear those in mind. My bro's probably got a place, or a place picked out. But I'll mention them. Thanks.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

The St Louis Sound exhibit at the MO History Museum is pretty cool, and it’s free. I’m back in town Sunday if you are still in town and want to play a few tunes.

Blog Entries

Hmmm ... Could be. Not sure what's planned for Sunday. Got a couple of people coming over for dinner tonight and he plays guitar and mandolin. See how that goes. Can't imagine he could compare favorably to an F-2 owner.

Oh, and yes, Salt + Smoke was already the plan for tomorrow's feasting. We happened to pass by Pappy's while being shown the sights. But didn't stop. Saving ourselves for tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the recommendations, people. Salt + Smoke was excellent - I still can't get over how fast the food arrived - before I'd even had a chance to pour my beer. I guess it makes sense, since the meats are all cooked already, and they just have to plate the sides. Everything was delicious, but it ended up being too much meat for me all at once. Had to take some home.

The Blues Museum was fine, though I knew a lot about what they were displaying already. Still, it was well put together. A little disappointed there was no mandolin presence - no Yank Rachel, no Louie Bluie, no Johnny Young - not even a mention in the jug band exhibit. There was a nice big photo of Annie Raines in a room displaying the collection of a photographer, but with a harmonica, not mandolin. The exhibit on Chuck Berry included a guitar and also some performing outfits, so that was cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211204_151141.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	197979 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211204_151853.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	197984

The St. Louis Sound exhibit was more intriguing to me, as it provided more information hitherto unknown. Also, they had some artifacts whose presence was thrilling - guitars that had belonged to Chuck Berry and Albert King. Also, for the fashionistas, a forest green sequined mini-dress of Tina Turner's, paired with a video of her performing in it on The Tonight Show in 1982. I swear, it was about a double handful of material all in all. And there was indeed a bit of MC, in the form of a banjolin in an exhibit about riverboats and their contribution to spreading music along the Mississippi.

Name:	20211205_141615.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	576.0 KB 
ID:	197980 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211205_145746.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	609.8 KB 
ID:	197985 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211205_145559.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	640.5 KB 
ID:	197986

Here's a bit of trivia for you. The house in which Frankie shot Johnnie (whose real name was Allen, BTW ), a couple of decades later was home for a young Josephine Baker.
    Last edited by journeybear; Dec-08-2021 at 10:53am. Reason: fixing imagery

Interesting Frankie and Johnny trivia! There should be more MC at the blues museum for sure. I saw Yank play a set with Henry Townsend at the Big Muddy Festival on the River front; This would have been in the late 80s I think. Yank had that old batwing Harmony as I recall. We saw Stan Musial play a short set with Mel Bay as well at that event. I feel pretty old all of a sudden.

Blog Entries

Funny you should mention Mel Bay. He was in the exhibit as well! I've never thought much about him as being anything other than the name of a publishing house. He was a real person and from St. Louis. There's a display, which includes his gorgeous custom-made D'Angelico guitar. Mel Bay Publications has issued over 6000 titles! That has had an effect on the culture, for sure.

Name:	20211205_152107.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	197998 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211205_152131.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	480.0 KB 
ID:	197999

Interestingly, the museum's section about murder history in songs also included "Duncan and Brady" and "Stagger Lee" or "Stack-O-Lee" - both based on real incidents as well. The Stagger Lee story does involve an argument in a bar leading to a shooting, but the argument was about politics, not gambling.

Stan Musial was a musician?
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

From his Sports Illustrated obit: "Ever ready, he performed the national anthem on his harmonica at least one opening day at Busch Stadium. Musial learned his music during overnight train trips in the 1940s and in the 1990s was a member of a trio known as "Geriatric Jazz'' and collaborated on a harmonica instructional book."

Blog Entries

Stan Musical ... Musical Musial ... Stan the Man Can Jam ... Ah, I give up!

Don't think he should quit his day job, but not too shabby!

Blog Entries

All right, just a little bit about my personal St. Louis blues ... with MC, even, of sorts.

Travel arrangements for this trip were a bit tenuous from the start. Getting to the airport in Miami was no problem - there's a bus up there mid-day for all of $15, that got me to the airport in plenty of time. It was the trip back that was a challenge.

My flight on Southwest was scheduled to land at 5:05. I had a plane to catch back to Key West on American at 6:00. Tight, but doable. Unfortunately, the SWA flight was delayed 18 minutes, making that connection really tight. The AA flight was the last one that evening, too. The SWA flight attendant said they had no way of communicating between airlines, so they couldn't alert AA about my problem and, I dunno, wait for me - a dream, at best. The SWA flight made up some time, landing almost on time. But then for some inexplicable reason, the plane sat on the tarmac for 10-12 minutes. Then I found out I had to go three concourses over, then through security again. The line for that was crazy long. I asked a TSA agent if there was anything she could do. She said if it was all right with the people ahead of me, I could jump ahead. It was, so I did. Things were looking good. Also, I thought the gate number was a good sign - D60. If experience proved true, that would be numbered down and back, so it would be close.

But nooooo. It was all the way down at the end of the concourse. I took off as fast as I could, flagging down a golf cart on the way. I got there just a minute before departure time - but of course, that's too late, as they close boarding 15 minutes in advance. Nothing they could do. The desk jockey suggested I go over to the reticketing desk to see what they could do. Not much. The agent tried to contact Spirit, with one more flight that evening, but couldn't get them on the phone, somehow. I was hoping the airline could put me up for the night and get me on a plane in the morning, but it didn't seem possible. So I went with Plan B.

You see, there aren't any buses from Miami to Key West in the evening. They're all geared toward serving day-trippers - leave in the morning, spend a few hours snorkeling or whatever, then return in the evening. The only option is the airport shuttle, a large van that runs several times a day, every other hour until 7 PM. They take you right to your door, too, very convenient. But it costs $110 in advance, and as I found out, $120 day of show. This is why I'd booked the flight in the first place - it's only $90. That's right - fly in an hour for $20 less than driving for 3-1/2 - 4 hours. However ... So I made the call, went to the pickup spot, and waited ... and waited ... and waited ... Meanwhile, I had called AA central in the hopes they could still accommodate me as described. I had been on hold for 33 minutes when the shuttle showed up, 20 minutes late. Well, a mandolin in the hand is worth two in the shop, so off I went.

I know I promised MC - that quip ain't it. Nor how I spent part of the time at the St. Louis airport, when I got so annoyed at the person sitting nearby talking non-stop on her cell phone that I took out my mandolin and played for a little while, to pass the time, drown her out, and ease my mind. Though that is MC.

There was only one other passenger, so there was plenty of room for me to lie down and rest my weary bones (and mind). It wasn't really comfortable, though, so I ruminated on how to improve my situation. I hit on using my mandolin in its soft gig bag for a headrest. I thought it best to use the neck, to avoid any damage to the thinner wood of the body. I had to turn it on its side to get enough thickness, but I'll tell you what - it worked. I got some much-needed rest and de-stressing.

I'll spare you all the gory details, but rest assured, I did make it home in one piece. And before midnight, if only by a quarter hour. Still, I was awfully grateful to be home. And I have decided, I'm never doing that again. I'm staying at home, except now and then to go to the grocery store or the doctor's. The World Tour is off.