Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punch Brothers "Hell on Church Street"

Default Re: Punch Brothers "Hell on Church Street"

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    ...I heard someone else's version ( can't recall Doc maybe but I think it was a woman singer) before I heard Tony's, one as beautiful as the next...
    Maybe Joan Baez on her second Vanguard album?

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

2. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Thanks Allen, pretty sure the first version i heard was Pentangle Maddie Prior singing, this was long before you tube so it was either on the radio ( thistle and shamrock?) or Vinyl ( pretty sure it wasn't 8 track, and I don't think it was cassette) - I think I got the record out of the SUNY Cobleskill library which also had Manzanita and Quintet 80' of all things! I also think I put the keys in the refrigerator....
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    Thanks Allen, pretty sure the first version i heard was Pentangle Maddie Prior singing, this was long before you tube so it was either on the radio ( thistle and shamrock?) or Vinyl ( pretty sure it wasn't 8 track, and I don't think it was cassette) - I think I got the record out of the SUNY Cobleskill library which also had Manzanita and Quintet 80' of all things! I also think I put the keys in the refrigerator....
    Pentangle did record it, but that's Jacqui McShee (with Bert Jansch). Maddy Prior is Steeleye Span.

Though Steeleye Span did record "Demon Lover" in 1975, the lyrics and arrangement are significantly different. Really a different song.

5. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

8-TRACK? I had no idea I was hanging out with such a bunch of geezers!

(My first tape machine was a 1/4 inch reel-to-reel. Speed selectable to 3-3/4 or 7-1/2 ips. And it would do half-track for backwards compatibility with older models. I remember as a small child being fascinated by watching the reels turn and the needles on the VU meters jumping.)

7. The following members say thank you to BadExampleMan for this post:

Jeff Lester thanks - I really can't keep my British electric folk bands straight( not too mention chords and notes in the right place), Bad ExampleMan we had reel to reel as well - My brother still had audio of me wailing on my Les Paul copy back in the day from reel to reel. I think we had Vanilla Fudge on reel to reel.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Y’all should get out more.

As someone who places T at the highest level of musicianship and artistry, and still having issues with music that people feel the need to apologize for not enjoying, this article about how it came to be in existence, and especially Critter's comments, put it into a tighter focus.

https://thebluegrasssituation.com/re...church-street/
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

11. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    As someone ... still having issues with music that people feel the need to apologize for not enjoying... [/URL]
    Well, I am guilty of excusing my lack of like concerning some music. I don´t feel burdened by it. But as a matter of taste, some music is just not to my taste (some Schönberg f.ex.). On the other hand I do appreciate very much the intelectual effort that comes with music. And herein lies the dilemma. There is music that is intelectually great (= "Hell On Church Street") yet I don´t like it.

I would like to point out that "Take Five" was a record that was hard to stomach for some as it is also took an intelectual quantum leap as is "Giant Steps" some of Thelonious Monk´s work etc. All of this music dips into the brain more than it does into empathy and "playing your heart out". In order to reach the stage that you are able to play this kind of music emotionally (without thinking) you have to develop into a better musician. And this is the benefit of such music like "Hell On Church Street". I appreciate the effort of the Punch Brothers. Even without the informative article I do appreciate the Punch Brother´s recording.
    Olaf

13. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

FEveryone'sI, Chris Eldridge is interviewed on this week's ArtistWorks podcast about making the record.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    Well, I am guilty of excusing my lack of like concerning some music. I don´t feel burdened by it. But as a matter of taste, some music is just not to my taste (some Schönberg f.ex.). On the other hand I do appreciate very much the intelectual effort that comes with music. And herein lies the dilemma. There is music that is intelectually great (= "Hell On Church Street") yet I don´t like it.

I would like to point out that "Take Five" was a record that was hard to stomach for some as it is also took an intelectual quantum leap as is "Giant Steps" some of Thelonious Monk´s work etc. All of this music dips into the brain more than it does into empathy and "playing your heart out". In order to reach the stage that you are able to play this kind of music emotionally (without thinking) you have to develop into a better musician. And this is the benefit of such music like "Hell On Church Street". I appreciate the effort of the Punch Brothers. Even without the informative article I do appreciate the Punch Brother´s recording.
    Interesting thoughts grassroots. Using your examples: from the moment I heard Take Five or Giant Steps or any Thelonius I loved it. Complete opposite with Schöburg…didn’t like it then and don’t like it now even though I appreciate what he was attempting to create. I don’t apologize or feel bad for not liking something and with Punch Brothers I think they are trying too hard in this case to make “art”, get a bit too esoteric and just miss the mark to warrant repeated listenings for me.

Thile said some time ago that he thinks they have a “Kind of Blue” caliber of album in them, they just haven’t found it yet. I agree with him and can’t wait to hear what they do next.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Hill View Post
    Thile said some time ago that he thinks they have a “Kind of Blue” caliber of album in them, they just haven’t found it yet. I agree with him and can’t wait to hear what they do next.
    That's interesting. I'd not heard that. What is the source of that, as in, where'd that quote appear and when was it made? I'd like to know. I'm not questioning what they think they can or might do, and it's not an issue of what I think about their music. I just think saying your band can match what many think is the greatest jazz album ever recorded in the history of the music is an eye popping bold statement. Who thinks it's just about the best jazz album ever recorded? Plenty. Wynton Marsalis said it at a concert I attended a few weeks ago. Assume there's some context with that statement, possibly relating to string band music or something. Kind of Blue sold 3.6 million copies and streams continuously to this day. Impressive for an album recorded in 1959.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Feb-03-2022 at 11:02pm.

Quote Originally Posted by BadExampleMan View Post
    FEveryone'sI, Chris Eldridge is interviewed on this week's ArtistWorks podcast about making the record.
    ....and don't forget Noam!

The more I listen to this album the more I enjoy it. I love just about every song on it and it definitely has a theme running through it where one song transitions into the next (despite it being the same sequence as TR's recording) and all play into the meaning of the song. Hard to believe that they had only 2 weeks to figure out arrangements for this whole album. I still think The Gold Rush is kind of ridiculous but I think they kind of think that, too.
    Northfield A5 Special #60

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Kind of Blue sold 3.6 million copies and streams continuously to this day. Impressive for an album recorded in 1959.
    While listening to "Kind of Blue" while driving one day, I suddenly knew one thing for certain; Miles' was creating the "Sounds of the City";
    I could literally see the tenement fire escapes and street corners. It was the most perfect wordless sonic painting of anything I have ever heard.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

19. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    That's interesting. I'd not heard that. What is the source of that, as in, where'd that quote appear and when was it made? I'd like to know. I'm not questioning what they think they can or might do, and it's not an issue of what I think about their music. I just think saying your band can match what many think is the greatest jazz album ever recorded in the history of the music is an eye popping bold statement. Who thinks it's just about the best jazz album ever recorded? Plenty. Wynton Marsalis said it at a concert I attended a few weeks ago. Assume there's some context with that statement, possibly relating to string band music or something. Kind of Blue sold 3.6 million copies and streams continuously to this day. Impressive for an album recorded in 1959.
    Just seeing this. I’ll look for the quote but I remember it clearly because it is a strong statement and Kind of Blue is an all time classic regardless of genre.

I saw Punch last night at the Brown Theater in Louisville. While I won’t go back to the album for repeated listenings the live performance is great, the material translates much better in person. Plus these guys are just so much fun to watch. Go see them on this tour they’re playing ALOT of older material along with the new stuff.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

21. The following members say thank you to John Hill for this post:

The more I listen the more I like it, which is usually the case with new PB albums. I just takes me a couple of listens to process all the nuances and layers. Man, they’re so good…

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Hill View Post
    While I won’t go back to the album for repeated listenings the live performance is great, the material translates much better in person. Plus these guys are just so much fun to watch. Go see them on this tour they’re playing ALOT of older material along with the new stuff.
    I only listened to a few of the songs on the album because I just wasn't enjoying them. So, I didn't bother checking out this one, which has always driven me crazy. However, I LOVE this recent live version of it, so maybe I'd actually like the recorded version. Gotta check that out tomorrow.

still trying to turn dreams into memories

They are amazing musicians. But I'm not crazy about the sum of their parts. It feels too overwrought. When I'm listening to what is essentially a string band, I don't want to work to find a melody.
    "I'm a farmer with a mandolin and a high tenor voice."

26. The following members say thank you to jeff_75 for this post:

Kenny 

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    I only listened to a few of the songs on the album because I just wasn't enjoying them. So, I didn't bother checking out this one, which has always driven me crazy. However, I LOVE this recent live version of it, so maybe I'd actually like the recorded version. Gotta check that out tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing this. I agree the album did not land well with me and I may not have made it all the way through, but this is a great performance and close enough of a connection to the song that it resonates with me.