Thread: Carbon mandolins?

Default Carbon mandolins?

Does anyone know if there are any carbon fiber mandolins currently in production, what might be available used in CF, and opinions on how well they play? I just rediscovered a set of currently unplayed vintage Highland bagpipes that might just about fund one. I sometimes play outside, and CF appeals for that if it sounds OK. I'm talking about Eastman 305/Kentucky 250 level 'OK' sound, not neccessarily top level.

Default Re: Carbon mandolins?

I was idly trawling various posts earlier today and came upon a reference to synergyinstruments.com a Canadian company who produce CF mandos. $1899 Canadian plus you could bank on around 25% in shipping/taxes so not cheap - c£1400 - but quite an appealing proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by NotDoneYet View Post
    I was idly trawling various posts earlier today and came upon a reference to synergyinstruments.com a Canadian company who produce CF mandos. $1899 Canadian plus you could bank on around 25% in shipping/taxes so not cheap - c£1400 - but quite an appealing proposition.
    Hmm - thanks, definitely a contender, with a Richlite bridge and a lifetime guarantee. I like the plain A design in carbon. I can't find a sound file of one of a Synergy - anyone played or heard one?

Blog Entries

There are more than a few. Peter Mix at NewMad comes to mind as an example.

Here is a recent thread about Synergy: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ndolin-builder

And here is an older thread about Ava Mandolin, and their carbon fiber bowlback: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...fiber-bowlback

A site I recently was looking at Z Mandolins https://www.zmandolins.com/the-story/history/

They are out there.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Although the process is different I believe that CF instruments are just as labor intensive to produce as wooden ones. I think maxr plays a Lewis & Clarke violin so he knows the general price range.

Someday there will be some way to incorporate CNC or 3D printing using acoustically excellent sounding materials. I don't think either computer process will work with CF though.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

maxr 

I’ve been waiting on Marty Jacobson near Atlanta to get his CF process down. I’ve always respected his work. And, as a recently new owner of a McPherson CF Touring 6 string, I’m loving the CF benefits. I actually left it in the car for the first day and a half of Thanksgiving before pulling it out to play, still pretty much in tune (it has new strings that were still settling in). It’ll never replace my Martin or my Guild tone wise, but it sounds surprisingly good, and it’s the one I’ll travel with, take to festivals or outdoor worship services, etc…

Just to add him to your radar…

8. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

maxr