Thread: buzz from old gibson pickguard

Default buzz from old gibson pickguard

I have a 1914 Gibson A-1 and absolutely love it. Unfortunately, it has developed a buzz.

The pickguard attaches to the neck and then has a post that goes into a hole in the bridge. When it gets close to the edges of the hole, it creates a really obnoxious buzz.

This can be fixed by pushing on the pickguard, but only for a little while, then it re-adjusts itself and buzzes happily away.

I am sure I am not the first to run into this issue. I am trying to figure out how to fix this without making any permanent changes to the instrument or doing any damage. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

Default Re: buzz from old gibson pickguard

I think that the originals had a bit of felt in the hole which prevented this.

Oh, that's interesting. I will try to find some.

Thank you.

You could also use a small piece of leather, or toothpick, anything that will keep it tight and not buzzing.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I think that the originals had a bit of felt in the hole which prevented this.
    Absolutely true; a little green felt "grommet" that fit around the pin that goes into the bridge. I had a 'teens A-1 that had it.

Might be tough to duplicate, but a wrap around the pin made of felt or thin leather should cure the problem.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Teacher, repair person

The old-fashioned weatherstripping felt available at Ace Hardware will work. The package costs a few bucks, and will provide enough felt to cushion everything that needs cushioning on every mandolin, banjo, and archtop guitar owned by everyone you know.

If you can't find it, pm me and I'll send you a piece in the mail.
    Last edited by rcc56; Feb-07-2022 at 2:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    The old-fashioned weatherstripping felt available at Ace Hardware will work. The package costs a few bucks, and will provide enough felt to cushion everything that needs cushioning on every mandolin, banjo, and archtop guitar owned by everyone you know.

If you can't find it, pm me and I'll send you a piece in the mail.
    Reminds me of the time I needed a tiny piece of cork to go for my F4 pickguard clamp (where it connects with the back of the mandolin). Size of a little fingernail is all that was required. Smallest amount of cork I could find locally was a 10-pack of A4 sheets (art supplies). Three dollars!

Trying to find uses for sheets of cork now...

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post
    Ha! Good story. I was hunting and hunting around over the holidays for some old sheets of cork I had bought years back.

Perfect material for installing inside a Hohner button accordion to limit the treble keys travel distance.

Found it and put it to use.

Don't know if such a need will come your way, but if it does....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

9. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post
    Reminds me of the time I needed a tiny piece of cork to go for my F4 pickguard clamp (where it connects with the back of the mandolin). Size of a little fingernail is all that was required. Smallest amount of cork I could find locally was a 10-pack of A4 sheets (art supplies). Three dollars!

All my tiny piece of cork needs are satisfied by cutting up wine bottle corks.

I was about to sneer at you for not realising you had a waste bin full of cork, then remembered that NZ has mainly gone over to screw top bottles!

11. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

You should be able to buy a cork gasket at an auto parts store too. A make a gasket will come in a sheet, but usually only one.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

You could even buy a set of cork coasters (Amazon sells them for not very much) use one for whatever you need the cork for and use the others to protect your furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post
    All my tiny piece of cork needs are satisfied by cutting up wine bottle corks.

I was about to sneer at you for not realising you had a waste bin full of cork, then remembered that NZ has mainly gone over to screw top bottles!
    I had a fine collection of cork removers until the great screw top revolution here!

But hey, I was happy to pay $3 to get my vintage clamp up and running again. In fact, I would have paid $3 for 2cm square of the stuff!

Thinking I'll make a bunch of coasters with cork bases

Things certainly ain’t what they used to be. Back in the day, you could buy a bottle of wine for the cork and enjoy drinking the contents but most now have screw tops. You could also buy a bottle of Grosch, drink the contents and use the rubber ring as a strap retainer but they only seem to sell the stuff in cans nowadays.

16. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post: