Thread: Wound ball end strings put on backwards?

Default Wound ball end strings put on backwards?

Buying strings by the dozen has been considerably cheaper than buying premade sets but some of the gauges I want are only available in ball end. Crushing the balls with a wire nipper to remove them works but is messy and makes sharp little brass shrapnel fly around the room a little. Could I just clip the ball end off, make my own loop in the unwound part of the tailpiece end, and install them "backwards"? I've seen a cool luthier's looping tool which I could emulate cheaply with a pliers and a little hook. Or maybe there's a cleaner way to get that ball out.

Default Re: Wound ball end strings put on backwards?

I will stick an awl into the loop around the ball at the string end and enlarge the loop on the ball slightly. With a small pliers in the ball I will slip the ball out of the loop. It's not easy, but after you do it a few times you will work out a process.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Adrian Minarovic

You can slip the string in front of the ball under the hook and bend it around the hook, it will work unless your strings are too thick to fit under the hooks (on some stamped tailpieces). This won't work on cast tailpieces though.
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I will stick an awl into the loop around the ball at the string end and enlarge the loop on the ball slightly. With a small pliers in the ball I will slip the ball out of the loop. It's not easy, but after you do it a few times you will work out a process.
    Sounds easier than trying to find the tiny brass shrapnel from the more destructive method! I'd like that loop a little bigger to fit on the tailpiece hooks more easily, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch_M View Post
    Sounds easier than trying to find the tiny brass shrapnel from the more destructive method! I'd like that loop a little bigger to fit on the tailpiece hooks more easily, anyway.
    When I have done this method (to get loop end strings long enough for dulcimer), I line up the diagonal cutters on the ball, then dip my hand with the nippers & ball into a deep trash can before squeezing. The can captures the shrapnel pretty well. YMMV, but it works for me.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

If you crush the ball with pliers, you can generally slip it intact out of the loop –– especially if you use an awl as pops1 suggests. Crush the "weaker" end of the small cylinder, which is what the "ball" really is.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I've slipped the string through the ball to make a loop and used that. Just had to make sure to pull it all the way through.

I've also snipped the ball off with the wire snip part of my needlenose pliers, Lay the jaws right in the same groove the loop goes around. Be careful not to cut the string. I don't recall having a problem with flying pieces.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

8. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Question Re: Wound ball end strings put on backwards?

Break up the ball* with pliers & the loop remains..

* it's bronze, I believe..

<quality pliers with a ground edge jaw>
    Last edited by mandroid; Dec-05-2021 at 4:54pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

10. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I clip the just edges of the “ball” off until it just slips through the loop. Just use a small good quality diagonal nippers. Reminds me of Firesign Theater: Don’t Crush that Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I'm sold on Curt Mangan strings. They're not cheap as d'addarrio's, but not nearly as much as some brands. He sells individual strings in ball and loop end. I need to make up custom sets for my 25" 10 string mandocello with octave pairs on the C, G and D. I get all loop end from him (even though the cast Allen tailpiece takes loop or ball end).

Also, Mapes Strings, a long lived company, will sell you custom sets in whatever gauges you prefer and at decent prices.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Question Re: Wound ball end strings put on backwards?

A pair of pliers and a finish nail = string loop winding equipment,
    (+ why Gibson TP have 12 hooks, the loop winding can slip.. )

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I'll keep it in-house and mention emando.com, operated by a longstanding Café member of good standing. A few years back, when I was in a band in which I was playing so often and so frenetically I was breaking lots of strings, A and E strings mostly (though I did break a G string a couple of times, and even one night broke one of each, a memorable achievement ), I bought several 10-packs of each, and also some custom-made sets. The website permits easy ordering of every thickness there is, in various winding possibilities - and in loop or ball ends, scootching over to the topic. NFI, BTW, honest!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

17. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: