Thread: Kentucky KM-120 Army-Navy Special tone/playability?

Default Kentucky KM-120 Army-Navy Special tone/playability?

Does anyone own this mandolin and can tell me how the tone and playability are? Is this more of a gimmicky model or does it actually deliver in its sound? There seems to be very few reviews/information about it online. Most of what I play is old time, Appalachian, and Celtic.

I'm currently deciding between the KM-120 and the Kentucky KM-140 and 150 (dependent upon what is available in my price range on Reverb, I know that the 150 is far superior).. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Kentucky KM-120 Army-Navy Special tone/playability?

I bought one on a whim earlier this year. It needed a lot of set up work to make it playable. The tone is not that great to my ear. It definitely does not compare to a Flatiron that I previously owned. If you're lookin for your first mandolin I think you'd be better off spending a little more and getting a KM150. I have nothing against Kentucky/Saga, but I would say that yes the KM120 is a bit gimmicky.

Sometimes the Kentucky KM250 is on offer for a similar price to the 150. The 250 has a radiused board which I think is 1/16" wider all the way up, and lightly flamed wood (which may make no difference to the sound). My 250 came with a good action etc. out of the box, maybe I was lucky...

I had been playing every day for months on my Eastman 505, but decided to try a round-hole pancake. I have really loved the KM-120. It's nice open voice is such a contrast to the tight bark of the Eastman, which is of course more fit for bluegrass. (I love them both!) The Kentucky model has been really fun and stood up to months of playing. Maybe not the sustain and clarity of a high-end model (especially in the lower G and D strings), but satisfying for practice, learning, jamming. Generous string spacing. Good nut, frets, action. Tuners are fine. Nice to find something that is modestly priced, but very playable.

I had my eye on one of those for a while until I came across a used Flatiron for a very reasonable price. It might be worth looking for one like mine - I only paid $400 for it.

I bought one this past summer to fool with a bit. It's OK, but not great. If you're looking for an oval hole, I bought a KM-276 about 7 weeks ago and really enjoy it. It came with a pretty good setup so I only had to make minor adjustments. You may want to look at that one. joe

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

If OP can stretch to a KM-250/270 then he could get an Eastman 305/304.

I don’t know if OP really wants an oval hole mandolin, or if he’s just looking for the least expensive but still decent quality mandolin he can find.

Try a little google fu to find a used Kentucky 200 series or Eastman 300 series. Guitar Center often has these used for cheap on their website and will ship.

I’m a well known Eastman fanboy here on the forum, but either would be a good starter.