Thread: I am weary let me rest

Default I am weary let me rest

I'm trying to teach myself this song. I have two chord chart version's, one in D and one in G. I haven't found mandolin sheet mysuc/tabs anywhere. I've watched videos of the Cox family over and over, plus other versions and nothing that I do sounds right. It all sounds off-key and I just can't find a strumming pattern or timing that vaguely fits. How's does everyone else play it? It's driving me nuts!

Default Re: I am weary let me rest

Quote Originally Posted by Bron S View Post
    I'm trying to teach myself this song. I have two chord chart version's, one in D and one in G. I haven't found mandolin sheet mysuc/tabs anywhere. I've watched videos of the Cox family over and over, plus other versions and nothing that I do sounds right. It all sounds off-key and I just can't find a strumming pattern or timing that vaguely fits. How's does everyone else play it? It's driving me nuts!
    It's tuned down 1/2 step. There is a book available via Kindle on Amazon for the O Brother version.

Google the title plus ‘sheet music’. The library of congress has images from the original sheet music. It’s in the key of E, but if you read notation your could play the melody.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

OK. That's something that I don't have any experience doing. Can the same effect be achieved with a capo? If so, which fret? Again, I'm not experienced with that either.

Thank you. I'll give that a go, as well as look for the book.

I just recently lost a dear friend to an illness and I played this song…kind of a sad/happy thing. I also changed the lyrics of the last line from “in a cold and lonely grave” to “wrapped warmly in the love you gave”…it was just to sad for me the way it’s written. (apologies to Pete K.)

Anyway, I do it in different keys depending on the mood/who’s singing/whatever. So I wouldn’t fuss too much with it being tuned 1/2 step down.

I just use a light strumming pattern, kinda a boom chuck with some chop and strums thrown in…maybe a fill or two, again whatever the feel is at the time. You didn’t mention if you’re good at picking out melodies by ear but here’s a chance to give it a go.

Have fun and just listen, listen, listen. Get the slow downer if you don’t already have it and load a recording in and go one bar at a time if you have to. Sometimes I just do my own thing if I can’t figure out a particular measure/phrase and I don’t want to copy exactly anyway.

Last, you can get a lesson or two with someone who will help you out.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7