Thread: Eastman fiberglass cases still available?

Default Eastman fiberglass cases still available?

After much searching, I am no closer in my search for a 'smaller, cheaper than a top line case' compact fibreglass mandolin case. In Australia, there appears to be nothing available other than plywood varieties. The Hiscox being made in the UK is not stocked here. The Bobelock (is the 'Arrow' still available?) violin cases are available but not so their mandolin case.
    Hence my question; is there an alternative to the plywood case which is covered in a black heat-absorbing material? We have temps here of over 80F (26.7C) here in the Winter so Summer is going to be interesting unless I can source a heat reflective hard case.
    My present player is a late 20s Gibson A0 but there will be a new one (same size) soon which will be needing a case.

Default Re: Eastman fiberglass cases still available?

The Crossrock Mandolin case might fight the bill. I've been really happy with it for my Northfield. I'm sure other forum members could weigh in on whether or not a Gibson A0 would fit.
    Last edited by Zmando85; Dec-06-2021 at 8:10am.

There is a Bobelock in the classifieds right now and I found them available a few months ago at several sources, some much cheaper than others. See past threads of the last 4-5 months.

The interior on the Crossrock cases are a bit too loose for my liking. I am worried about the mandolin rubbing over time. The exterior looks great through.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Blog Entries

My Eastman Fiberglass case wouldn't accommodate a shorter neck (oval hole in general with a fret neck join at 12 instead of 15).

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Thanks Mandobar and Jamie. Crossrock too loose and Eastman too tight. Neither of these cases are available for sale here or on the popular sites.

Zmando, if the Crossrock works for you, how wide is your Northfield? My Gibson is just over 10-1/4" wide and 14-5/16" from tailpiece to neck heel (another fit-determining measurement if you have a 'necessaries' pocket in the middle of the case).

Steve, I noticed the Bobelock just after I posted and I've been in touch with the seller. The quest continues...

I have my 23 A-Jr in an Eastman case (F-style case) and it fits nicely. I can get pictures when I get home tomorrow if you want.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

I think the width would be fine in the Crossrock. What I'm not sure about is if it would accommodate the shorter neck (assuming your Gibson 0 is 12 frets to the neck join). And I agree, the Crossrock isn't a super snug fit, but just put some extra foam padding in it, and it works well enough for my needs.
    From the Crossrock website:
    Inside Dimensions
    Overall length: 72cm (28.35")
    Body length: 37.5cm (14.8")
    Body depth: 7.5cm (3")
    Max depth (arch-top for bridge): 15cm (5.9")
    Upper bout: 16cm (6.3")
    Waist: 19cm (7.5")
    Lower bout: 29cm (11.4")
    For both F-style and A-style mandolin

The one thing you don't want is the mandolin sliding around in a case. The movement will eventually create wear. You will need to add some padding in the Crossrock around the lower bout. There's also the fiberglass Superior brand cases. There are not as nice as the Crossrock, but they provide a tighter fit. But, I am not sure what their availability is like, even in the US right now.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Something the size of the Eastman would be ideal for travelling, but I haven't seen them available anywhere on this planet lately; Can you still get them in The States?
    I presume the A-Jr is exactly the same body dimensions as mine.
    Does anyone have any knowledge of the fit of the Gator GC (ABS)?

I just read the reviews on the superior CF-1521B which doesn't fit the A model without first modifying the pick compartment. How disappointing that would be after spending the better part of $400AUD getting it here. One of the reasons Im asking you guys as I can't 'try before I buy'.

Sounds like, as you've already spotted, you need a Hiscox case if carriage to OZ is at all affordable. I think they also do that case in white, which may increase thermal protection. They have info on the site about why their cases provide the most thermal protection, and why e.g. carbon cases (and some other expensive cases) are not good for that. I suspect cases like the SBK thermoplastic and foam mandolin case may provide a reasonable degree of thermal protection at a lower price point, although most are black, so you wouldn't want them sitting in the sun.

While searching for ABS cases I ended up at the Elderly website. Although they haven't any Guardian cases in stock, their measurements bear a resemblance to the ABS Gator. The Guardian is also touted to accomodate the early A models which other cases can't. I've found an ivory Hiscox for $400AUD which converts to $283USD without taxes and shipping. I was hoping for a smaller case, but my guitar has been secure in a Hiscox case for 25yrs...The ABS Gator is available and at $179 look like a contender. Still, the remoteness of a small town in a large country does have its' advantages health-wise.

Check out the case discussed in this forum post

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ht=Presto+case

15. The following members say thank you to Steve Mead for this post:

Not sure exactly what Jamie has tried to fit in an Eastman case (or which particular Eastman case) but, for the record, both my ‘14 Gibson A and my ‘24 Snakehead fit in an Eastman A style case.

I suspect, though, Eastman stopped making the A style case a while ago but I’m not sure about the F style.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Welcome to my world! The Musiccompo cases are now no longer available. I have one of their white fiberglass cases and use it for my own personal mandolin, and have been looking around for a replacement with no success. Hiscox will fit a vintage Gibson, but if they are no longer using distributors then transport costs from the UK to Australia are an issue. For the time being I am importing TKL cases. Also black plywood but much better quality. The locally available Chinese plywood cases are rubbish and nearly all of them are way too big. The TKL Vectra cases are nice and come in white, but they won't fit a vintage Gibson oval hole mandolin. As for Eastman, I only managed to get one of their fiberglass A style of cases in white, and that was quite a few years ago. If you do find a solution, let me know.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

18. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post:

Blog Entries

I have the Eastman F style case and the Eastman 814 (F4 style mandolin) wouldn't fit in it. The Eastman 2 point F hole mandolin fits just fine.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

20. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Ray(T) 

I have had Eastman cases in the past - swapped them out for Bobelocks. The Bobelocks seal well, come with case covers, and hold my instruments tight. Well worth the hunt and purchase. I have a Northfield Big Mon in one and my Pomeroy in the other...both fit fine.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

I scored myself a Bobelock from a cafe member here and I'm looking forward to checking out the fit.