Thread: RIP Stonewall Jackson

Default RIP Stonewall Jackson

Probably not much mandolin connection but another musician from Country Music's Golden Era has passed. Met his Waterloo on December 4th according to the article. RIP

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...180141780.html
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

2. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Default Re: RIP Stonewall Jackson

My goodness. One of those forgotten ones who helped shape my musical past which formed my musical present.

4. The following members say thank you to Ranger Bob for this post:

RIP Stonewall. I listened to his recording of Waterloo this morning.

6. The following members say thank you to Skip Kelley for this post:

A Country Music Icon, RIP Stonewall.
    Kentucky KM-1050 2021
    Pava Satin A 2018 #272
    Gibson A 1916 #25861 FON 2626

8. The following members say thank you to Gene Summers for this post:

One of the greats without question. This is such a superb and bleak song- and a great album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dY5hKC2AzA

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

One of my early memories was when one of the mothers in our neighborhood came out to look at what was wrong with the radio because all the neighborhood kids were singing "Waterloo, Waterloo, Waterloo, Waterloo..... over and over. We had no idea what the song was about but it sounded cool. She thought the radio got stuck or something.

12. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Saw him with my Dad when I was just a kid. His voice stuck with me, we now do 'Washed My hands in Muddy Water' often.

A sad part of life.......
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

14. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

In the early 1960s I bought a 98 cent Columbia "Country Music Sampler" record. I bought it because there was a Flatt and Scruggs tune on it and they were not easy to find in those days. It also included "The Black Sheep" by Stonewall Jackson which was one of those old country songs that just sounds ancient. It was 10 years later or more that I learned that the Monroe Brothers (Bill and Charlie) had recorded it in the 1930s. Bill Monroe, Stonewall Jackson. There your mandolin connection.

16. The following members say thank you to Dennis Satterlee for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Satterlee View Post
    In the early 1960s I bought a 98 cent Columbia "Country Music Sampler" record. I bought it because there was a Flatt and Scruggs tune on it and they were not easy to find in those days. It also included "The Black Sheep" by Stonewall Jackson which was one of those old country songs that just sounds ancient. It was 10 years later or more that I learned that the Monroe Brothers (Bill and Charlie) had recorded it in the 1930s. Bill Monroe, Stonewall Jackson. There your mandolin connection.
    Thanks for that. I love old C&W music and Stonewall Jackson was a major player IMO. Although I don't hear a lot of B.G. sound in his records, I believe, like a lot of his contemporaries, he was influenced by that music. I know he hosted some festivals of some sort that I'm sure attracted 'parking lot pickers' of all kinds!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    One of my early memories was when one of the mothers in our neighborhood came out to look at what was wrong with the radio because all the neighborhood kids were singing "Waterloo, Waterloo, Waterloo, Waterloo..... over and over. We had no idea what the song was about but it sounded cool. She thought the radio got stuck or something.
    Cool story and cool memory!