Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Praise of Matt Flinner's Classes

Default Re: In Praise of Matt Flinner's Classes

+1 to the above, and thanks for posting this, Don. @Sue, you'll be really glad you signed up!

Another thing about his classes is that the second one is indeed a review, but is also in normal European hours, so us folk in the east can participate live with you all on Saturdays.

I'm (probably) skipping this round as well in favor of working on a couple of his courses I downloaded a while ago. They are a perpetual reference, with as much technical information as you want, along with great song choices. And I got my Jamdemic T-shirt a week or two ago!

2. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

If I had to complain about anything it's that the classes I have taken lately go until about 1030 PM (Eastern time) and my attention span just goes to crap in the last half an hour lol. It isn't a problem though because you can always watch the recording of the class at your own schedule later.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

4. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Thanks for the recommendation! I am going to sign up for the advanced fiddle tune course.

Matt is one of the best teachers I've studied with period. The amount of material that he provides in class each week is just the right amount of material to study in a week. I've never felt that I didn't get my money's worth. His lessons are so well thought out that there is often more there than you might initially think. I still find new stuff when I go back to review some of his lessons from the past.

I've been taking a steady stream of Matt's on-line classes for the past 2 years. While progress with anything is usually slow and incremental with practice, even I was surprised at how much Matt's lessons paid off during a recent campfire jam with friends I hadn't seen in a few years. There's nothing like getting a nod for a solo on a song that you've never heard or played before and finding that you can actually pull it off.

Matt's classes are supposed to be an hour long but they almost always last an hour and 45 minutes so be prepared for that and be prepared to find yourself occasionally feeling a little tired towards the end of the session. And if you didn't know already, Matt hosted a series of over a hundred on-line jams during the pandemic for past and current students that involved getting charts and tabs for 9 to 12 songs per jam! Matt says he's going to start hosting some more of these soon so that's pretty good incentive to sign up for a class and become involved in the Matt Flinner community.

-Scotty
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

7. The following members say thank you to Scotter for this post:

I have been taking two classes per session from Matt since the beginning of the pandemic. He has improved my playing far beyond my expectations. You get so much for your money from Matt. The classes last longer than an hour, and he is meticulously prepared. You get tab for all the material he covers, and great study videos and mp3s. He is also such a genuinely warm human being, and a patient teacher. The arpeggios and scales class was intense, and somewhat difficult for me, but it proved so helpful in my attempts to improvise. Once I signed up for all three classes, and it was hard to keep up. I will stick to two from now on. I have notebooks full of practice exercises and songs. If I stopped taking classes now, I would still have a lifetime of material to study and work on.

9. The following members say thank you to Katart90 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Katart90 View Post
    I have been taking two classes per session from Matt since the beginning of the pandemic. He has improved my playing far beyond my expectations. You get so much for your money from Matt. The classes last longer than an hour, and he is meticulously prepared. You get tab for all the material he covers, and great study videos and mp3s. He is also such a genuinely warm human being, and a patient teacher. The arpeggios and scales class was intense, and somewhat difficult for me, but it proved so helpful in my attempts to improvise. Once I signed up for all three classes, and it was hard to keep up. I will stick to two from now on. I have notebooks full of practice exercises and songs. If I stopped taking classes now, I would still have a lifetime of material to study and work on.
    I can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Katart90 View Post
    He is also such a genuinely warm human being, and a patient teacher. If I stopped taking classes now, I would still have a lifetime of material to study and work on.
    I read through this thread back when it started and was nodding my head up and down, "Yes, yes; everything being said is true", but now I feel compelled to respond.

I have taken over a dozen of Matt's classes, mostly Swing, Jazz, and Gypsy Swing, and the latest Blues class. I took some of them twice since he introduces different songs each time, and for me it is all about the songs. I play with a trio or quartet, and have introduced many songs to the group that I picked up from Matt's classes. He has made some complicated tunes very accessible and that has vaulted me past the plateaus that I rested on in my past attempts to "teach myself".

As to his personality, Matt comes across as very intelligent. Smart people are people persons and know how to handle a crowd with warmth (as you said) and accommodation. Every class seems to get one person who wants to dominate the questions, but Matt handles that very patiently. His generosity exceeds that of most people that I have met.

Now, hopefully Matt will read through this thread of praise to him and not quit humbly before getting to this request. I would love to see him offer a class on composition. His trio was doing same-day performances of compositions that each would create THAT day. That is an amazing concept and although some of the compositions didn't pan out, there are some that were amazing (I am thinking of Half Moondog, for example).

So, what do you think, Mr. Flinner? Can you get old Vanderwaal to sign up for just one more class?

I agree James--I'd sign up for a composition class from Matt. His session analyzing a couple tunes in the Modern Mandolinist workshop was brilliant. Even if all he did was analyze a tune or 2 each week like he did in that workshop, it would be so worthwhile.

Matt's been posting some tunes he's recently written on FB. Really great. Also, if you're on FB, Matt's hosting a virtual jam on FB tonight. Worth it just to hear him play lick-offs and leads on all the songs/tunes. Always some Norman Blake and John Hartford.

New classes start next week.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

13. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

Somebody needs to present an opposing viewpoint here, there is way too much unanimity for the Mandolin Cafe. Someone needs to grumble that Monroe would not have approved of his classes, or that Lloyd Loar would have sneered at the tap tuning of Matt's top.

But that someone is not me. Matt is a great teacher, well organized, thorough, incredibly knowledgeable. The online sessions are fun and incredibly informative. Two opposable thumbs way up!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Roberts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Somebody needs to present an opposing viewpoint here, there is way too much unanimity for the Mandolin Cafe. Someone needs to grumble...
    OK, I will step up and grumble!

I took one of Matt's online classes, and he has music playing before the class begins. Not once was the music "Shiny Blue!"

Last edited by A 4; Jan-07-2022 at 3:58pm. Reason: It's funnier with only one tune.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A 4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Somebody needs to present an opposing viewpoint here, there is way too much unanimity for the Mandolin Cafe. Someone needs to grumble that Monroe would not have approved of his classes, or that Lloyd Loar would have sneered at the tap tuning of Matt's top.
    Yeah, I think that a couple of years ago someone commented on THE brown shirt that he wore each lesson session. I think he has switched it up to a blue shirt now. So, there is that mark against him.

19. The following members say thank you to James Vwaal for this post:

As a reminder, Matt Flinner has three courses starting up next week:
    https://www.mattflinner.com/2018/06/...ard-exercises/

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

I took Matt's "Scales and Arpeggios" and "Chords and Rhythm" courses last year. He certainly is gifted as a musician and as a teacher: prepared, well-organized, personable, and committed to his students' success.

For me, due to health-related limitations, the extra length of every class meeting is a deal-breaker. I couldn't drink from that fire hose for the length of time the classes continued each week. I tried going back to the recording of the class meetings and skipping through the first hour to watch the remaining portion, but that wasn't an effective way for me to follow the material. It's not the same, cognitively, as watching a film in two sittings.

I enrolled in a second course, thinking either the class meetings would be closer to the stated time periods or that I would manage it better. I was wrong.

It's a shame, because some of his courses are of great interest to me.
    Last edited by Sheila Lagrand; Jan-07-2022 at 5:53pm. Reason: correct misinformation
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

Thanks a million to Don for starting this thread. I had never heard of Matt until this thread was posted. I’m now into week 3 of the Old-Time 102 class and I agree 110% percent with everything that has been said here. Best learning tool for music I have ever used.

Blog Entries

Me too, Todd. I am getting what I hoped to get, plus a lot more.

I am practicing the material each week so far, like a good student should. I gotta. I couldn't keep up if I didn't. That's good.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Yes, the focus and direction is awesome (even if I can't keep up). No regrets
    He's a wonderful teacher.

Glad it's going well for you Todd, Hank, and Sue. I'm in week 3 of Advanced Fiddle Tunes. Loving the tunes he selected for us. If you haven't checked out the mp3s on the class website, those contain some really great playing to study especially the faster ones. Right click and you can download them to put them in slow down software to study.

If you're on FB, Matt has been writing a new tune every day and posting it--just solo mandolin. So inspiring. (His group did this tune du jour thing where they each wrote a tune every day and learned them from each other and played them at the night's show.)

He also started hosting a jam on FB on Friday nights. So fun to listen to him play breaks on all the songs/tunes and try to play along. Great international group of people join in.

Saturday practice session coming up. I'm not ready. Should have been practicing instead of attending the jam tonight. Oh well.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I hadn't taken any of Matt's classes since last spring, and this spring, I was torn between taking his Octave Mandolin class --- which had different material from the course I took last spring --- and his New Acoustic Music class. I decided to take the NAM class, and after two weeks, I already have a ton to work on and have discovered a couple of great new tunes. It's a tremendous course!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    I hadn't taken any of Matt's classes since last spring, and this spring, I was torn between taking his Octave Mandolin class --- which had different material from the course I took last spring --- and his New Acoustic Music class. I decided to take the NAM class, and after two weeks, I already have a ton to work on and have discovered a couple of great new tunes. It's a tremendous course!
    yea! I am loving the New Acoustic class, have been exciting about that one for a while. Great tunes to explore!
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
    yea! I am loving the New Acoustic class, have been exciting about that one for a while. Great tunes to explore!
    Matt Flinner was at Fiddle Hell, I only caught his double-stop class live, will have to watch the blues and the rhythm classes as recordings. Good stuff. Too bad his regular classes collide with my other activities, maybe I should set time aside for this next spring.