Thread: American Mandolin Method Volume 1 & 2 by Brian Wicklund

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default American Mandolin Method Volume 1 & 2 by Brian Wicklund

Has anyone tried American Mandolin Method by Brian Wicklund?

I'm a fan of Bruce Emery and his From Scratch series. The first thing I did when I ordered my mandolin from Elderly Instruments was also order Mandolin From Scratch from Amazon. I've learned a ton, but naturally I want to learn more. After scouring Amazon for mandolin methods I'm liking the look of American Mandolin Method but I'm hoping for some feedback before I pull the trigger.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: American Mandolin Method Volume 1 & 2 by Brian Wicklund

The books by Wicklund are graded. He started with fiddle then teamed up with Ben Winship for the mandolin books. They start fairly simply and then add techniques and skills. They are good books. I used his fiddle books to start many students down their fiddling path. I have used the mandolin books for students too but not as closely as the fiddle books. They are solid arrangements of good tunes. The second book is full of great tunes that will take a great deal of patience to command but hold the gifts of teaching solid skills. I like them