Thread: Game Changer - Vintage Gibson Mandolin

Default Game Changer - Vintage Gibson Mandolin

I started my mandolin journey about a year ago. At the suggestion of Dennis at The Mandolin Store, I bought an Eastman MD505, which I really like and have had a great time playing it.

Earlier this year, a used Weber Yellowstone popped up at a decent price in the Classifieds here, so I jumped on that. While the Yellowstone is a higher end instrument, it really did not blow the Eastman away in terms of tone and playability.

So over the past few months, I have been going back and forth between the two, getting more and more into the mandolin world of making music.

A couple weeks ago, we made a trip to Nashville, and of course, we visited both Carter's Vintage Guitars, and Gruhn's. The visit to Carter's was not very memorable, but when we walked into Gruhn's we were greeted by George himself. While I had no goals (other than browsing around), somehow we got on the track of looking at different mandolins. George spent over an hour with us, pulling down different mandos for me to check out. Everything from a $50K Gibson F model (which I was a afraid to even touch) to a 1908 Gibson F4 (oval hole). I fell in love with that F4, but just could not justify dropping $5K on it at the time.

So, when I returned home, I remembered seeing a 1929 Gibson A model (oval hole) in the classifieds on another forum at a much more reasonable price. Contacted the seller and asked for a sound clip, and liked what I heard. Closed the deal, and received the mandolin yesterday.

While the clips did sound good, they did nothing to demonstrate the true nature of this instrument. I don't know if this is the nature of an oval hole mando, old wood, or just a great build, but this mandolin sounds amazing. A more deep, woody tone, with resonance and sustain do die for. Excellent condition for its age. And loud.

Wifey was even impressed at how good it sounded (she has always chided me about my mandolins sounding like ukuleles).

While I am not planning to get rid of the Eastman or Weber just yet, I will be spending most of my playing time on this Gibson. The nut is just a bit wider than the other two, making it much more playable for me.

To say I am pleased with this purchase is an understatement.

Obligatory pics:

D
    Last edited by Don Herring; Dec-09-2021 at 11:45am.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Don Herring For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Game Changer - Vintage Gibson Mandolin

If it sounds as good as it looks as you tell us, then no wonder you are so pleased. Well done!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the light side - the Gibson side - of the force. I realize I am thoroughly spoiled, or prejudiced, or dedicated (pick 'em), as I've owned nothing but vintage Gibsons my entire mandolin life, on the acoustic side, anyway - electrics are another matter, though my first was and still is a Gibson - but I've never felt a need to waver. Perhaps I've been lucky, having had very good luck, particularly with plain A's - three of them - all under $1000, as well as my H2 mandola. But even my A-4 and F-4 have turned out well, and I'm waiting on the A-3 rescue, which I'm sure will be fine as well. I've ventured off the path of righteousness only twice - a 70s F-12 that, despite 30 years of voluminous playing, never really opened up (just wasn't in her), and a vintage A-2 from eBay that had undisclosed neck issues requiring a return. Other than that, my experience has been that these old workhorses are exactly that - old but more than able, and also ready and willing. They have this sound that is just - there, and to my ears, just right. Enjoy yours, care for it, and it'll repay you handsomely for many years to come.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

5. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

D, welcome to the world of vintage Gibson ovals. I have a couple, both As & Fs. I love the sound & the short neck/wide nut. I do have a modern Gibson F5 which is fun & rowdy, but I don’t get the same warm fuzzy homey feeling.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

It's a looker, for sure.

It's funny, what your wife said about the other mandos sounding like a ukulele. Reminds me of my FIL telling me my Stad-O-Lin (playing on the upper strings) sounds like an ice cream truck. I took umbrage.

Dhodgeh, I think what you’ve noticed about the difference in sound between oval-hole and f’s is generally true. Different genres of music call for a range of tonalities, loudness. Also, within a configuration, there is a wide range of voices, and everyone develops preferences - sharp and projecting; soft and mellow. Glad you’ve found something that immediately talks your language.
    And Sue, the Strad-O-Lin my dad bought in the mid-50’s and still lives on the couch does really sound like not only a cheap, plywood uke with a head cold, but one being played somewhere else. Doesn’t matter! None of the notes have dropped out of it yet.

Beautiful. Looks very much like my 1920 A-2 but with a truss rod, adjustable bridge, and somewhat different finger-rest (one of my pet peeves...it is not a pick-guard).
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Surprised that nobody has mentioned that you seem to be developing a bad case of MAS for which there is no known cure.

Sounds like your wife is much like mine. When I bought my first Kimble, it was a toss up between than and an identical spec. Heiden. I preferred the sound of the Kimble, she preferred the sound of the Kimble. The Kimble was over £3000 cheaper and the rest is history.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Nahhh ... Three mandolins in one year? Nothing to be alarmed about.

Besides, it sounds like he's found his ne plus ultra, and has no desire to improve on it. Though we shall see; never say never with MAS!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

changed mind. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Surprised that nobody has mentioned that you seem to be developing a bad case of MAS for which there is no known cure.

Guilty........ (We won't talk about the Eastman MDO305 that came in a few weeks ago)

D

Teacher, repair person

You're hooked. A plain model A will inevitably lead to an F-4. There's no way to avoid it. Better stock up on the beans and rice and peanut butter-- you will succumb sooner or later.

16. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Sweet mando. Enjoy, there is nothing like that oval hole sound.

Question Re: Game Changer - Vintage Gibson Mandolin

What was the game?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My first of 28 Gibson mandolins was a 1931 A style in black with the silver script (like yours) and I bought it in 1973 from a man who had bought it new in 1931. I loved it in every way (maybe apart from black as I fancied a sunburst) but got into different music for a while so I sold it to someone in Ireland. That was after I foolishly drilled out the machine head holes to accommodate Schaller nickel tuners which, in my ignorance at the time, was completely unnecessary.
    When you get a good one, they are great for solo or duo/trio work. Happy days for you.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Congratulations and happy picking!

That vintage Gibson oval tone is something else!

My first "good" mandolin was a refrigerator white A3 that I bought for about $300 in 1973. I had to sell it to finance a U-Haul truck for a cross-country move 5 years later, truly the one that got away. Over the past 20 years I've had a couple of snakeheads, an F2 and churned them in my sonic quest. I found myself with three F-hole mandolins, wanting an oval hole option. Fortunately, a plain-jane player's brown '24 snakehead A popped up at a reasonable price and will be a keeper (at least until MAS rears up).

I hope yours gives you many years of pleasure!
    Last edited by John Soper; Dec-16-2021 at 10:33am. Reason: spelling dammit

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    You're hooked. A plain model A will inevitably lead to an F-4. There's no way to avoid it. Better stock up on the beans and rice and peanut butter-- you will succumb sooner or later.
    Too true...I am currently lusting for an F-4 to go with my A-2
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Blog Entries

I'm lusting for a Virzi K-4 Mandocello or the like-anybody, anybody, did I say anybody: cool: Gibson mandolins from the teens thru the 30's-the cheaper ones and plain Jane A's are serious tone machines if you can get one that's not too tubby sounding!

That's a nice looking A. My 1929 A Jr is probably going to be the one I never move on. Have had a number of folks I admire compliment it. Mine is the opposite of yours in looking like the dog's dinner. Uglier than just about anything, but it plays and sounds great.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    the cheaper ones and plain Jane A's are serious tone machines if you can get one that's not too tubby sounding!
    Oh, for me the tubbi-ness is what I'm after!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Oh, for me the tubbi-ness is what I'm after!
    Thats what I mean in old posts-what one person dislikes the other loves! Very Kool, one must go with what they're into, there are loads of GREAT deals out there on the Golden Age pre-1920's Gibson A models and all have something!

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Thats what I mean in old posts-what one person dislikes the other loves! Very Kool, one must go with what they're into, there are loads of GREAT deals out there on the Golden Age pre-1920's Gibson A models and all have something!
    Yes, something for any mando-enthusiast!

Happy pickin'

My 22 A4 was even better after a re-fretting & fingerboard leveling, while the frets were off.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture