Thread: Sicilian Luthiers Building Mandolins in 2021

Blog Entries

Question Sicilian Luthiers Building Mandolins in 2021

Do any of you fine people know of any Sicilian luthiers making new mandolins today, in addition to Musikalia of Palermo?

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: Sicilian Luthiers Building Mandolins in 2021

Is Alfredo Privitera still making mandolins in Catania?
    There have been a few discussions of his work here which you might do a quick search for.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

3. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Blog Entries

Grazie, brunellow97! It appears he is! I'm finding a few models available through a couple of retailer websites, but not a complete list of all models. Seems he makes some cheap ones (for example, a lower priced one has walnut fretboard and bridge), and a concert model that seems a bit better appointed.

However, the good news is that this led me to an 1890 model that appears to be nicely restored. Old wood ... Will let you know what happens, as I'm using Google translate to attempt communication.

5. The following members say thank you to DiegoInSeneca for this post:

Blog Entries

That 1890 model had MAS swarming all over my head. Then suspicions arose. I messaged the seller (a luthier) about obtaining a sound file, and he said no. Then I asked for a photo of the label, and he said it didn't have one. I await his response about how he could know the specific maker and and specific year made without a label. Wonder what he'll have to say about that.

Meanwhile, found a fair supply of new and used Alfredo Privitera mandolins for sale in Italy. Started with www.google.it, which translated several of the websites to English. For the other websites, used Google Translate ... more laborious, yet told me what was in each listing. Never got as far as asking any of the sellers if they ship to the United States. Disappointingly, could not find a list of Privitera model numbers; most listings didn't mention numbers, but saw occasional references to Modello 1 and Modello 2. From the limited specs and prices, it seems that Privitera has some Chevrolet grade mandolins and may sell occasional Buicks. However, found no useful sound samples on YouTube.

Given that name, did scroll through a number of Mandolin Cafe threads about Privitera mandolins, but none found that discussed how they play or sound (although a few members had actually laid hands on them). The new ones look pretty enough, but don't want to one for wall art. Don't need a Buick, but don't want to get a shiny new Yugo, either.

This dreadful disease surges and wanes, inciting flurries of madness punctuated by furious and circuitous clicking.

Hey, friends ... anybody know what a new Privitera actually SOUNDS like?

7. The following members say thank you to DiegoInSeneca for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoInSeneca View Post
    Hey, friends ... anybody know what a new Privitera actually SOUNDS like?
    Well, this doesn't help and you probably found this video anyway:

One question: is there a reason why you are limiting yourself to Sicilian mandolins? There are some excellent makers of bowlbacks in Italy these days. Calace makes some serviceable and reasonably priced new ones.

BTW this site is dedicated to Italian guitars, etc. Here is their page on Sicilian makers from years past: https://www.fetishguitars.com/sicily-southern-italy/
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I have zeroed in on Sicilian mandolins because my mother's parents and their families emigrated from Termini Imerese in the 1890s. This has created a potent brew of MAS and deep sentimentality. For the casual reader, Sicily is part of the Italian federation, but its language and cultural roots predate Rome, the Latin language, and Naples.

Had already found Calace and attempted to ignite a conversation. No response thus far. However, they're a long, long way from Sicily.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiegoInSeneca For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Yet another classic good news, bad news situation.

The bad … sadly, it’s the end of an era! From correspondence with Rapisarda Strumenti Musicali, Catania, Sicily:

Salve, l`azienda ha chiuso, ma noi abbiamo gli ultimi mandolino fatti da Privitera. Le mando qualche foto.

The company has closed, but we have the latest mandolins made by Privitera. I am sending you some photos.

Altri liutai a Catania non pių purtroppo.

Unfortunately, other luthiers [are not] in Catania any longer.

Per intenderci, Privitera ha chiuso? Permanentemente?

To be clear, has Privitera closed? Permanently?

No ha chiuso per sempre!

It's [Privitera’s] closed forever!

Potete spedirmi un mandolino negli Stati Uniti?

Can you send me a mandolin in the United States?

Non so se il corriere arrivi lė, dobbiamo informarci.

I don't know if the courier arrives [delivers] there, we need to inquire.

What’s good? For the very few like me, obsessed with obtaining a mandolin hand-crafted in his ancestors’ homeland, a number of new and used Privitera mandolins are to be had via www.google.it.

Negotiations underway. The fellow representing the music store doesn’t seem to understand my questions about specifications. I have the impression that Privitera made some very high quality instruments, but these are from his “Chevrolet” lineup.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiegoInSeneca For This Useful Post:

You may have to do what many of us bowl heads have done over the years which is to buy a few of the lesser ones. Sometimes those can be plain but just as good musically as the fancy ones.

On the other hand there are probably quite a few from the older makers, if you’re willing to take a chance. For instance Puglisi mandolins are considered certainly on the same level of many of the Neapolitan ones in quality and if you could find yourself a good one, there you have your Sicilian Mandolin.

I guess my other question for you is do you really want to only look at brand new instruments? You may have to take chances with the older ones but I have owned quite a few quality Italian instruments that needed some work but turned out to be excellent players.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Dec-15-2021 at 5:18pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Above all, Diego, you have to be patient in the hunt. And willing to spend both time and money. And be in the right place at the right time. I don’t know for sure but sometimes the Chevrolet mandolins can be just as good as the Cadillacs. But you may not know until you own one. Or perhaps it is time for a trip sometime to the ancestral homeland. BTW where do you live? My guess is in the US.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I'll second DiegoInWestchester's recommendation for Puglisi mandolins.

They made a wide range of instruments from the cheap and cheerful to finely designed and crafted examples.
    They seem to regularly turn up on ebay and other online outlets, which is of course always a bit of a gamble.

Those of us interested in Italian mandolins from this era have inevitable worked our way through the process of learning
    to try and determine overall condition, playability, at-home repairs, etc.
    I've made a few mistakes and found some real gems. It has been a rewarding process.

I've bought a few junkers just to take them apart and see how they were made. It helped me a lot to make better choices.

I love the exuberant design sensibility of Sicilian mandolins.

Sure, Puglisi and others in Catania made mandolins that attempted to copy some of the designs from Napoli or Roma, but when left to
    their own design devices, they made some extraordinary (looking at least) mandolins.

Not always to everyone's taste but if you have a family connection to Sicilia and want to pursue this, David and I (and our Diego) will be certainly cheering you on.

We know that David has an interest as well in flat back mandolins from Sicilia which is a whole other delightful area of discovery.

Our great friend, Martin Jonas, described the 'shimmering sound' of these Italian bowlbacks. I don't know how you can put it any better than that.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Update time. Calace: I did hear from Calace, and could buy one of theirs to be shipped to the U.S. Set this information aside while I pursue Sicilians, and to give rest to an overworked wallet. Perhaps down the road ...

Old Sicily: Await shipment of a C. & V. Carabba restored by luthier and musician Lucas Sobieranski (www.lucassobieranski.com/instruments-for-sale). Maestro Sobieranski both performed a handsome rejuvenation and linked a video in which we can hear him playing this phoenix-like masterpiece. Felt assured about the vintage, playability, and sound of this Carabba, making it an easy choice. He awaits supplier restocking of Gewa bowlback cases, so that he can send case and mandolin to me from his shop in England (www.lucassobieranski.com/about).

Contemporary Sicily: Around the holidays, spent several weeks of countless hours seeking an Italian seller who would ship a Privitera to the US. You can't get here from there any more? Stumbled on a low-price Privitera on eBay (NY) with a crack in the soundboard, and jumped on it (www.ebay.com/itm/125000500597). Await word from my always-busy luthier about fixing the crack, and may try regluing it myself. Holding it served to give me an idea of how it would feel to play a bowlback held at the chest, rather than on the lap. It's surprisingly light and the bowl does not seem awkward at all. Meanwhile, I sent an e-mail to Privitera and hope he's still using the e-mail address on some of his labels.

A happy, healthy, and musical new year to all of you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Privitera Soundboard.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	198717  
    Last edited by DiegoInSeneca; Jan-13-2022 at 7:31pm. Reason: PNG image did not upload into message

20. The following members say thank you to DiegoInSeneca for this post:

Thanks for the updated, Diego. Fair play to you on the Carraba and finding a Privitera after all.

Just a note of possible concern....after watching the attached video of the Carraba...have a look at the 00:24 mark.

The action looks quite high. See the attached screen capture.

It's hard to be definitive from just this single view, but this would be of real concern to me if I were considering this mandolin.

If you haven't committed to purchase yet, perhaps something you want to check on with the seller / repair person.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 7.52.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	198719  

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

22. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post

Not always to everyone's taste but if you have a family connection to Sicilia and want to pursue this, David and I (and our Diego) will be certainly cheering you on.

We know that David has an interest as well in flat back mandolins from Sicilia which is a whole other delightful area of discovery.
    Well, flatbacks in the Italian style at least! I wish I owned some Sicilian mandolins of any sort.

And I am cheering on this search for Sicilian bowl backs.

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post

The action looks quite high. See the attached screen capture.
    If this is a restored mandolin, the action is on the high side.

The luthier describes the action here:
    Playing action is set to 2mm at 12th fret and despite very gentle twist it is comfortable to play even more advanced music. Bridge height is 4mm therefore gap between strings and soundboard is rather tight (which is common for mandolins from late 19th c.).

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Playing action is set to 2mm at 12th fret and despite very gentle twist it is comfortable to play even more advanced music. Bridge height is 4mm therefore gap between strings and soundboard is rather tight (which is common for mandolins from late 19th c.).

I'm not so sure about a neck with any twist.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I'm not so sure about a neck with any twist.
    Me neither. I was just responding to the comment about high action and mentioning that the seller says 2mm. That is not high. I guess the proof may be in the playing however I would have some further conversation with the luthier before finalizing the transaction.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

27. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Gentlemen, your keen observations are very much appreciated.

In this case, I'm glad to rely on the wonderful sound file that he posted of himself playing this mandolin. This reflects ...

... can't afford to visit England to check it out in person.
    ... what he's asking for this restored instrument seems quite reasonable.
    ... any minor flaws would not prevent my making music on it.
    ... I'd have a mandolin from the height of Sicilian luthiery history.
    ... nothing's perfect.

Keep those cards and letters coming!

29. The following members say thank you to DiegoInSeneca for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post

Hmm. That seems like a rather loose description of 2mm.....

I wouldn't put much stock in that.

Looking at my ruler and that photograph just now.

Sounds like DiegoInSeneca made his move on this.

Fingers crossed.....

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road