Thread: Orange Crush Amps-Anybody have one

Default Orange Crush Amps-Anybody have one

My wife and I have an old Hollinger PA-120 powered mixer with a couple of 150 Watt speakers that we can use to play out. More often than not, we just use a 4 channel Mackie mixer into a guitar amp because it is much easier to haul around. We just gave our daughter the guitar amp so we are looking to replace it.

Does anyone own one of those Orange Crush amps or has anyone tried one? Opinions?

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default Re: Orange Crush Amps-Anybody have one

Not a fan. It's marketed as a practice amp for a reason. What do you find attractive about it?

There are better options for acoustic gigging. The Loudbox had been extremely robust for me for instrument (CH1) and vocals (ch2). If I were buying now, I'd be looking at the Bose S1 Pro or the JBL equivalent. They are both really competitive to the Roland Streetcube EX, which is also a great piece of gear.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

I've played one of my Rigels through mine, it can be clean enough, but sending more than one instrument through one with the goal of entertaining an audience seems to be more than it's qualified to do.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

Orange crush is probably no what you are looking for. Take a look at some of these powered PA speakers. Your Mackie will work great with it. Fishman Loudbox amps are wonderful but expensive. I have both the Loudbox Performer and Artist. It’s what I use most of the time. I’ve had a lot of trouble using pedals, specifically a looper pedal, with the Loudbox. That’s the only problem I’ve found. The sound is really good.

I have an Orange 12 that I use for electric guitar practice as well as electric mandolin. For $100 I thinks it's a good deal. However for getting an acoustic sound or gigging I will defer to the other posters

Thanks all, I will check out your suggestions.

Resident Hack

I got my Loudbox Mini for about $150 off craigslist.
    Highly recommend
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

A guitar friend of mine wasn’t keen on them, said they were for mainly R&R playing. I had a Roland Cube that I liked and a cheapo Line 6 thats pretty good for when I just noodle around on my electric guitar/mando.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I own both the Fishman Loudbox Mini and the Orange Crush 20 watt amps. Both are great amps if you are looking a a quality reliable amp without spending too much money. I used both in a jazz combo and had no problem getting my mandolin heard while playing with drums, bass, and a saxophone. The Fishman will give you a nice acoustic sound. The Orange will also have nice cleans but with a bit more edge. I used the Orange mostly in my own band because I ran my acoustic mandolin through a whole bunch of pedals (envelope filter, phaser, flanger, fuzz, etc...) and this amp works well for this purpose. However, given that it is not an amp typically used with acoustic instrument, you will need to find the settings that work best for you. Both amps will sound better with a preamp.

In summary, I recommend the Orange but only if you intend to use it beyond just getting a classical acoustic sound.

Thanks all. I will think about all the advice here before forking out some dough.