Thread: What chronic illnesses do old carved mandolins get?

Default What chronic illnesses do old carved mandolins get?

Currently I have modest fresh out of the box mandolins, but sometime I might hanker after an old one. What common illnesse do old (say pre 1930) carved top mandolins get? It occurs to me that the high string tension might induce a few. Also, will a sound old mandolin generally stand up to e.g. an average set of modern 10-40 strings, or will they often be strung more lightly so play differently? Thanks, Max

Default Re: What chronic illnesses do old carved mandolins get?

A few that I encountered/looked out for when searching for my ‘24:
    - major cracks in the top
    - top sinkage
    - back separation
    - warped necks (pre-truss rod models)

Most of these are correctable and many mandolins on the market have had some or all of these repairs. I was lucky to find a very clean one, but seems like that might be tough to do again.

Unless there is major damage, it sounded like J74s and equivalent medium gauge strings can be used safely. Mine has 74s on it right now

3. The following members say thank you to Jcdraayer for this post:

maxr 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

They also suffer a bit of exhaustion from being played so much, because they sound so good!

I've almost always used D'Addario J74s on mine. That's 11-40, mediums. And they do just fine.

Light strings don't cut it, for me, not on the acoustics. I like them on the electric, though, to get more string-bending.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

5. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

maxr 

Teacher, repair person

The most common problem that I see on the old Gibsons are loose braces and worn out frets. If they have been strung up with a loose brace, the tops can deform.

I rarely see badly warped necks unless they have been over-strung or have been neglected for a long time.

The old oval hole mandolins will hold up fine with 10 or 10 1/2 - 14 - 24 - 40. I consider 11 - 15 - 26 - 40 [J74] to be the maximum-- some will be fine, some will not.

J74's will tear up an old Martin or Vega flat top very quickly. Carved Lyon & Healy mandolins will do all right with 10 to 40.

Loose center seams and long cracks are usually the consequence of an instrument being exposed to low humidity or large, rapid changes in humidity. Adverse humidity is as dangerous to new instruments as it is to old ones.

7. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    They also suffer a bit of exhaustion from being played so much
    True of me too. My body that is, not my strings.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

9. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Another frequent issue with older mandolins is deterioration of celluloid (pickguards, sometimes binding). Celluloid's components can be unstable, and aged celluloid can out-gas, crumble, or deform pretty easily. Pickguards on old Gibsons are often deteriorated, and the out-gassing can affect other parts of the mandolin or case lining.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Another frequent issue with older mandolins is deterioration of celluloid (pickguards, sometimes binding). Celluloid's components can be unstable, and aged celluloid can out-gas, crumble, or deform pretty easily. Pickguards on old Gibsons are often deteriorated, and the out-gassing can affect other parts of the mandolin or case lining.
    It is interesting that the plastics from the teens and twenties do fine. I have rarely seen problems with that era. The deterioration of pickguards and tuner buttons happens later into the thirties, forties and fifties. They probably changed the formula for the plastics.

I have had a good handful of Gibson ovals and the only problems I have noticed is the rim separating and getting out of alignment. I agree though that when assessing an old Gibson or any other older carved top mandolin, of possible, do have it checked out thoroughly by a competent luthier especially for loose braces, cracks, neck issues, etc.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jcdraayer View Post
    A few that I encountered/looked out for when searching for my ‘24:
    - major cracks in the top
    - top sinkage
    - back separation
    - warped necks (pre-truss rod models)
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

15. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

The top has flattened a little on my '20s mando, but it still plays and looks fine.

It was a basket case when I got it. Other problems: a ruined finish, a crack between the back and side, useless tuners, worn frets, and no dots on the side of the neck.

It's an interesting question. Do you plan to be playing yours a hundred years from now?
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

17. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    It's an interesting question. Do you plan to be playing yours a hundred years from now?
    Well, one reason is asked is that I started on fiddle, and some of those in daily use are '00s of years old. Of course, relatively few of those haven't been updated at some time to suit modern higher tension strings etc. with steeper reset neck angles (and some have now been reconverted for use as period setup instruments). You occasionally see violins with sagging tops, but mostly the arching is high enough that's unlikely to happen. Seams come unglued and so on, but generally old fiddles appear to keep sounding as good or bad as they ever did, give or take a little. Then I spoke to a classical guitar teacher who said he reckoned to get 15 years or so from a new classical guitar, He also said that full time professional classical guitarists often had their main concert instrument plus another 'coming on' for 8-10 years, because (apart from having a spare) those instruments not only take some time to sound optimal from new, but eventually the sound started to deteriorate slightly as the instrument 'gets tired'. Posts above suggest this can happen with mandolins - I'd guess especially ones that have been used for the punishing gigging schedules of bands in the 1930s (sometimes 6 month tours, acccording to this bluegrass history lying on my desk). Is that a factor, or only among the oldest and best (carved top) mandolins such as I'm never likely to own?

19. The following members say thank you to maxr for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    ...I started on fiddle, and some of those in daily use are '00s of years old. Of course, relatively few of those haven't been updated at some time to suit modern higher tension strings etc. with steeper reset neck angles (and some have now been reconverted for use as period setup instruments). You occasionally see violins with sagging tops, but mostly the arching is high enough that's unlikely to happen...
    True, but put eight steel strings on your fiddle, and see what happens. Mandolin tops have to sustain quite a bit more load, which is why most (not all) of the "old carved mandolins," at least those with oval soundholes, have a substantial cross brace located just south of the hole. This is the one that can loosen or deform, allowing the top arch to sink. That type of mandolin bracing in some ways echoes guitar bracing, at least that of steel-string acoustic guitars.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Let's see: my violins are 106 years old; my Gibson mandolin, 98; Gibson guitar, 82; banjo, 131, my Embergher bowlback, 117, etc. All these are well-built instruments of various types of construction but as long as they are cared for and not mistreated should last for another century. Some require knowing enough how to take care, for instance, most vintage bowlbacks should have very light strings and the universal caveat to keep your eye on the bracing on these instruments, including violin sound posts and bass bars.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

23. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

maxr 

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

[QUOTE=maxr;1847970. . . I'd guess especially ones that have been used for the punishing gigging schedules of bands in the 1930s (sometimes 6 month tours, acccording to this bluegrass history lying on my desk). Is that a factor, or only among the oldest and best (carved top) mandolins such as I'm never likely to own?[/QUOTE]
    You got me there, podner! I'll leave that one to finer minds.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Let's see: my violins are 106 years old; my Gibson mandolin, 98; Gibson guitar, 82; banjo, 131, my Embergher bowlback, 117, etc. All these are well-built instruments of various types of construction but as long as they are cared for and not mistreated should last for another century.
    It is a bit amusing to think about how old these instruments are - and also heartwarming to realize what good shape they are in after so long. All my instruments are from the teens, except the F-4, the baby of the group, from 1922. I have a 1907, too, which needed work right off the bat; I haven't even played it yet. Looking forward to getting it back from the shop in the spring.

We are the caretakers of these instruments. It's our duty to maintain them as well as our privilege (and joy) to play them.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post: