Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can beginners learn on a 4 String Electric Mandolin?

Default Can beginners learn on a 4 String Electric Mandolin?

I figured out that beginners could learn on the 4 String Electric Mandolin because the single strings (at lighter gauge), easier action, & slightly smaller size would really make it easier to play, as far as barre chords go:https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...g?v=1571359975

Default Re: Can beginners learn on a 4 String Electric Mandolin?

s11141827 , I think a 4 string mandolin is good for learning the notes on a mandolin fretboard. It would also be helpful with chords and positions. The caveat to my mind is if you want to go on to a traditional mandolin sound (i.e. 8 strings) and style of playing, you'll have to learn the feel of an 8 string, for tremolo especially. My 2 cents....

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

If you start on a lightly strung 4 string solid body electric mandolin you can learn chords, some tunes, some picking basics. But when/if you switch to an acoustic double course mandolin you'll have to re-learn how to fret cleanly, how to pick and chop, how to get a good tone, and toughen up your fingers and calluses.

Not saying it won't work, but if your goal is to ultimately play acoustic mandolin with other people in a jam, starting out on a 4 string electric could actually hold you back/slow you down.

I'm not sure why recent posts keep talking about barre chords on the mandolin. There are 4 courses of strings. Most of us have 4 fingers on our fretting hands. The mandolin neck is 1-1/4" wide or less. There is no need to barre.

Now on my wide necked 10 string mandola or 10 string mandocello sure I use barre chords. But mandolin? No.

Why not?

Can a beginner learn to surf on one of these? Sort of...
    Seriously, an electric mandolin won't allow you to work on acoustic instrument dynamics.
    The ability to play from quiet to loud based on how hard you pick. It applies to playing
    rhythm, fills and solos. I wouldn't want to miss this as a beginner. Using dynamics is part
    of developing a personal style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flowrider-double-surf-simulator-whitewater-610x440-c.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	198365

Blog Entries

I learned on a four string banjo, borrowed from my Dad, and learned to read beginner clarinet music.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Can beginners learn on a 4 string electric mandolin? Yes, they can learn how to play a 4 string electric mandolin. It's a different instrument than an 8 string acoustic mandolin, if that's what you're really asking, and each instrument requires a different technique to produce the sounds associated with it.

The notes are in the same place, and they're in the same place as on a violin as well. I suspect that the answer to your question lies in what your goals are.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bevan View Post
    Can beginners learn on a 4 string electric mandolin? Yes, they can learn how to play a 4 string electric mandolin. It's a different instrument than an 8 string acoustic mandolin
    And.. not just different from an 8 string acoustic but same holds true for an 8 string electric.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Bill; Dec-29-2021 at 12:57pm.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Yes!

Nobody can learn no part of nothing on that thing. A proper electric mandolin has 5 strings, upon which one can learn many things, and is the instrument of choice of many pros.

Given all the discussion of problems in amplifying acoustic mandolins, I’m surprised anyone plays them anymore
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Nobody can learn no part of nothing on that thing. A proper electric mandolin has 5 strings, upon which one can learn many things, and is the instrument of choice of many pros.

Given all the discussion of problems in amplifying acoustic mandolins, I’m surprised anyone plays them anymore
    I am new to electric mandolin so my opinion is just my opinion and perhaps not the most enlightened. I find that what I have learned on an acoustic 8 string to be transferable to an electric but am not convinced that it would work the other way as well. I never did like using my installed pick-ups in my acoustics and always preferred to play through a mic, which admittedly was not always convenient or easy.
    Now, for the electrics. I find them to be another dimension and fun to experiment with the different sounds I am able to obtain. Though the one sound that I don't even come close to obtaining with an electric is the sweetness of tone I get from acoustics played unamplified. As for 5 string electrics being the choice of professionals, I guess my only response to that is I am an armature and this may be why I liken a 4 or 5 string electric to sound like an electric guitar and not a mandolin.
    Just saying, "my humble opinion".
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

They’re really good for learning left hand, right hand coordination.
    Lots of exercises, one is to Play FFcP only using your fret fingers, no picking. Because it's electric you can do hammer on's really easy and practice getting the rhythm spot-on using a metronome.

13. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

I am using an Epiphone Les Paul Pee Wee with a capo as a 4 string electric mandolin. It works great! I played at the pub last night to rave reviews.

The capo is placed at the 4th fret and then tuned in standard mandolin tuning. The result is a very nice electric mandolin with a 16 inch scale and a humbucking pickup. No cutting, drilling required. Could easily be a 5 or 6 string mandolin. It is for sale in the Classified ads.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wee2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	198741
    Last edited by MandoMack; Jan-14-2022 at 1:06pm.

15. The following members say thank you to MandoMack for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    If you start on a lightly strung 4 string solid body electric mandolin you can learn chords, some tunes, some picking basics. But when/if you switch to an acoustic double course mandolin you'll have to re-learn how to fret cleanly, how to pick and chop, how to get a good tone, and toughen up your fingers and calluses.

Not saying it won't work, but if your goal is to ultimately play acoustic mandolin with other people in a jam, starting out on a 4 string electric could actually hold you back/slow you down.

I'm not sure why recent posts keep talking about barre chords on the mandolin. There are 4 courses of strings. Most of us have 4 fingers on our fretting hands. The mandolin neck is 1-1/4" wide or less. There is no need to barre.

Now on my wide necked 10 string mandola or 10 string mandocello sure I use barre chords. But mandolin? No.
    Actually you could restring your Mandolin w/ really low tension strings such as Thomastik Medium Tension Precision Strings, just so that it's easier. Or even better get yourself a Ukrainian Domra Prima (essentially a Steel Strung Cremonese Mandolin):https://www.ebay.com/itm/302624115089 the scale length is an inch longer than a Standard Mandolin (around 14 in.) so it really is a good compromise between tone & playability.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Glassman View Post
    Can a beginner learn to surf on one of these? Sort of...
    Seriously, an electric mandolin won't allow you to work on acoustic instrument dynamics.
    The ability to play from quiet to loud based on how hard you pick. It applies to playing
    rhythm, fills and solos. I wouldn't want to miss this as a beginner. Using dynamics is part
    of developing a personal style.

Name:	flowrider-double-surf-simulator-whitewater-610x440-c.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	198365
    That's no longer the case they now use dynamic sensitive pickups.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s11141827 View Post
    I figured out that beginners could learn on the 4 String Electric Mandolin because the single strings (at lighter gauge), easier action, & slightly smaller size would really make it easier to play, as far as barre chords go:https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...g?v=1571359975
    Here's an Acoustic 4 String MandolinClick image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	201058

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    s11141827 , I think a 4 string mandolin is good for learning the notes on a mandolin fretboard. It would also be helpful with chords and positions. The caveat to my mind is if you want to go on to a traditional mandolin sound (i.e. 8 strings) and style of playing, you'll have to learn the feel of an 8 string, for tremolo especially. My 2 cents....

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    It can be done on both instruments remember? Also (there are 8 String Electric Mandolins too which use really low tension strings to maximize playability) they make 4 String Acoustic Mandolins:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	201059 this 4 String Ukrainian Domra Prima is essentially a Steel Strung Cremonese 4 String Mandolin with a circle shaped body.

Actually for a Jam I'd have to get a super mini amp

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I am new to electric mandolin so my opinion is just my opinion and perhaps not the most enlightened. I find that what I have learned on an acoustic 8 string to be transferable to an electric but am not convinced that it would work the other way as well. I never did like using my installed pick-ups in my acoustics and always preferred to play through a mic, which admittedly was not always convenient or easy.
    Now, for the electrics. I find them to be another dimension and fun to experiment with the different sounds I am able to obtain. Though the one sound that I don't even come close to obtaining with an electric is the sweetness of tone I get from acoustics played unamplified. As for 5 string electrics being the choice of professionals, I guess my only response to that is I am an armature and this may be why I liken a 4 or 5 string electric to sound like an electric guitar and not a mandolin.
    Just saying, "my humble opinion".
    I'd have to modify my Acoustic Mandolin to play like an Electric for it to work w/ super light strings (Ultra-Lights) & low action by shaving the braces off & having the frets filed down flush w/ the fretboard.

Actually why not convert the Acoustic Mandolin to only 4 strings by cutting the braces down.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd need super light strings on the 8 string acoustic but to get more volume the braces would have to be shaved down to 3/32 of an inch.

Sure, why not ? Its a study, not a stage gig .

#1 If our purpose is to start out we can learn and study proper scales , chords and acquire right hand cross picking technique . Get your left hand and right hand going and in synch so to speak. These are basic fundamentals and not specific to an Electric or an Acoustic Instrument. In fact, some low cost Acoustic Mando's do not intonate properly and you can be chasing the tuning forever , not enjoying your study/ practice time. I believe the Electrics all have adjustable saddles and neck relief adjustment. There are many low cost package deals on beginner Acoustic Mando's which are JUNK, avoid them. If we are studying any stringed instrument, it has to be in tune and intonate reasonably well. Thats not an old wives tale !

#2- We can practice silently, ( no amp) nobody in the house will hear us.

#3 - I personally wouldn't use light gauge strings , I would stick with mediums or whatever the instrument comes with. Get acclimated.

#4 - I have 2 - F Mando's and recently bought a Gold Tone GME 4, Electric, it is my practice instrument. UNPLUGGED. I use it to practice various scales, parts of scales , intervals and cross picking, everyday. Rudiments. Silent practice. Going to the Acoustic F is not an issue what so ever, quite the opposite, going from the GME4 to the Eastman , its like I'm flying !

#5- Have fun, its your study. Go forward as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMack View Post
    I am using an Epiphone Les Paul Pee Wee with a capo as a 4 string electric mandolin. It works great! I played at the pub last night to rave reviews.

The capo is placed at the 4th fret and then tuned in standard mandolin tuning. The result is a very nice electric mandolin with a 16 inch scale and a humbucking pickup. No cutting, drilling required. Could easily be a 5 or 6 string mandolin. It is for sale in the Classified ads.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wee2.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	198741
    I have 2 PeeWees that are a lot of fun. I keep one tuned CGDAEB (bulls-eye) and the other (burst) E standard so one is in 5ths and the other in 4ths. I upgraded both with an active EMG-89 (switches from humbucker to noiseless single), stacked volume/tone controls, intoneable wrap-around and new tuning machines (burst).

Name:	2-PeeWees.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	211438 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PW-Case-06.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	211439

The burst was impossible to intonate until I realized there is too much distance between the nut and the first fret; they didn't cut the excess off the end of the fretboard so that end was too long. It was a quick fix (remove nut, cut off excess fretboard, install nut) once I figured out what the problem was. Yours looked the same as yours when I got it. The bulls-eye is a considerable step up.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verne Andru For This Useful Post:

But if Electric Mandolin is easier you need a portable amp. Why not transition from Electric to acoustic by converting the acoustic to have only 4 strings like the electric which means you'd have to shave the braces down?

You keep going on here and on other forums about "shaving the braces down". Exactly what are you calling braces? I don't think the word brace means what you think it means.

2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Why yes, I have seen that movie.