Thread: Any thoughts on this bowl back

Default Any thoughts on this bowl back

First post. I have been lurking for 6 months
    This mandolin is local and going to see it this weekend. Any thoughts and input about condition and price would be helpful. I’m a beginner playing a econo a silver angel. Intrigued by a bowl back Not sure how to post a link.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-Puglisi-R...-127632-2357-0

Default Re: Any thoughts on this bowl back

Here's a Cafe search for threads mentioning Puglisi. Respected maker from Catania, Sicily. I would say that $400 is a high-range price for an antique bowl-back, and you definitely need to carefully inspect it and check its condition. Many old bowl-backs have been "over-strung" with modern heavier-gauge strings, which can deform the neck-body joint, or warp the neck. Bowl-backs don't have neck truss rods to correct warpage, and their neck joints aren't as sturdy as later instruments. Look for cracks, possible sinkage of the top, warped neck, mis-angled neck joint. Small separations between ribs of the bowl aren't good, but generally aren't serious impairments. Check the tuners as well.

This could be a good mandolin -- not what I'd call a "bargain," but if in good playable shape, within market pricing. Let us know what you decide.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thank you for the response. The listing has make an offer available. It’s at a local pawn shop

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

How does a Puglisi bowlback find its way to San Diego? Makes you want to think it was via a sailor.

Everything Allen says is right on. The strings on there now are likely too heavy and you and / or the owner need to take the tension off them pronto.

Extra light gauge strings on these only. Don't even risk it.

If the neck were in good position via the action (as Allen describes) and this were very playable, I think $400 for this would be a very good deal.

Unfortunately, I can't draw any conclusions viz the neck from the linked photos.

I'm a big fan of Sicilian, and particularly Puglisi mandolins. This isn't a high grade or top end instrument, but these Italian mandolins from this era were very lightly built with a shimmering sound unlike almost any other mandolin you will find. Even on these more modest models.

The intonation can be a bit spotty and vary from maker to maker, ma Puglisi era una buona ditta.

Bowlback mandolins are an acquired taste and many folks here don't have quite the patience to get used to playing them and discovering their voices and the nuance of playing them. But it's an incredibly rewarding experience no matter your musical predilections.

Check it out yourself for the condition of the neck, and / or post some better photos of the neck so we can weigh in.

I'm with Allen, these don't show up in the States all that often so they bear scrutiny. If one was around the corner from me that was in good playing condition, I'd drop $350 in a heartbeat.

It would mean frijoles and tortillas for a month but I could play that every evening. Good deal.

Keep us posted.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Thanks brunello that gives me a bargaining point

Top and bowl look pretty solid from what I can see in the photos. I just checked and OP says he is local so that is good to actually see it in person. Otherwise I would ask for some photos from the side and closeups of the neck joint. Otherwise, it looks pretty decent. String it with Dogal Calace RW92b Dolce strings for that sweet Italian tone. As usual, no one wants to post photos for after the auction is done, so here:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	509.3 KB 
ID:	198215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	541.8 KB 
ID:	198216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	378.7 KB 
ID:	198217  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-6.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	474.5 KB 
ID:	198218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-8.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	384.4 KB 
ID:	198219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-9.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	362.1 KB 
ID:	198220  

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

So did you get it? My Puglisi is my favorite of my bowlbacks, and if I found another at a good price, I'd love to have a 2nd one. I agree that this one is (was) a bit overpriced, but if I heard it, I might be tempted.