Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Strad-O-Lin mandolins - which, when, how good?

Default Re: Strad-O-Lin mandolins - which, when, how good?

Quote Originally Posted by fits View Post
    I'll include the one I recently bought just for future reference. I've done a lot of internet searching since I acquired it and have found only a couple or so online that are, I think, the same model, including the youtube video of the gentleman playing the tune, "Sweeping the Stairs". I cannot find any date or marking of any kind from what I can see inside the instrument.

It had what I assumed was the original non-adjustable bridge with a straight (non-compensated) bone insert and what I think is the original tuners. 3 of those tuners were so hard to turn in spots, it took all my might with my dominant hand to tune it. And I had some intonation issues, especially with tuning the A strings. So I changed the tuners and replaced the original bridge with a Cumberland Acoustics Gibson style compensated bridge. Both of these are huge improvements for the playability of the instrument. And sound-wise, I was really surprised by it. It's got a great, breathy, woofy, rhythm chop and good volume.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StradT.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	211018 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strad5.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	211015 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stradback.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	650.1 KB 
ID:	211016 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stradside.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	576.5 KB 
ID:	211017
    Congratulations! That's the best looking Stradolin mandolin I have seen! I bet it sounds amazing!

The seller has mentioned he is open to offers but I declined as the shipping to the UK will be expensive and I already have too many "challenges" I am afraid. The Stradolin Jr is all laminated but Jake Wildwood reckons they sound very good and he has one- or he did to play for that reason once he had tweaked it to his liking.

I find that shipping even within the USA is often a deal-breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    The seller has mentioned he is open to offers but I declined as the shipping to the UK will be expensive and I already have too many "challenges" I am afraid. The Stradolin Jr is all laminated but Jake Wildwood reckons they sound very good and he has one- or he did to play for that reason once he had tweaked it to his liking.
    Nick, if it’s still the decrepit one we’re talking about, there is pretty much no way that can restore to original, or ever be comparably valued - which isn’t much anyway. I only mentioned it because some would think it can’t be done at all, and would just strip for parts. Shipping to the moon might exceed the repair cost. I believe the UK to be somewhat closer.

Another of the possible H-2001 models ended up in my hands recently. Was fairly inexpensive (under $300) although I did replace the non-original tuners with some 1950's models. Also replaced the brass possibly homemade tailpiece with a Waverly I had sitting in my parts box. Solid top with laminate back/sides and inlaid purfling around the top.

Reasons I'm posting here - it's good sounding. Loud, and with more bass than my others. Very close to the 1941 I had. It also has the larger body that seemed to show up around this time.

Also, this one is date stamped. May 6, 1942. Somewhat surprising. Thought the war would have ended production before this time.

Eventually hoping to compare to the 1941 head to head. But suffice to say, these are good ones, IMO.

Name:	20231216_080702.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	211164

Name:	20231216_080740.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	211165
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

A guy who bought one of my shirts told me he's had close to 60 Strad-O-Lins in the past 50 years. He pointed out on my f-hole model that the second to the highest fret is missing, and said this was done to allow easier access to the top fret. David Apollon had this on his mandolin, he told me. So that's a pretty cool thing.

He also told me that he's got three "22 fret models, all from the 30's" that he's willing to sell. I'd never thought about sorting them by numbers of frets.

My f-hole model has 26 frets, not counting the "missing" one. Of the two ovals I have right now, the one with Strad-O-Lin on the headstock ('36) has 22 frets and a squared off fretboard extension. The Galliano labelled instrument has the curved end on the fretboard extension and 23 frets.

Name:	36 Fretboard ext.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	211253 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galliano fretboard ext.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	211254 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f-hole fretboard ext.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	390.0 KB 
ID:	211255
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

7. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Took a quick stroll through the SOL social page and didn't notice a Strad-O-Lin "De Luxe." Couldn't find any in a web search either. Have we seen these before? Aside from the peghead stencil I can't see anything Deluxe-ish about it versus another '50s (I assume) blonde SOL I've got. Thoughts?

Name:	IMG_0969.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	211645

Name:	IMG_1111.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	360.0 KB 
ID:	211646

The Bell Brand tailpiece is a 1930s feature but it may well be a replacement.