Thread: A Regal tenor guitar with a history

Default A Regal tenor guitar with a history

Hi all,

I just received this Regal. I've owned 3 others, the last about eight years ago, but didn't keep any of them. Now I'm playing Irish music and it will be a great addition. It's in good solid shape despite the wear to the top (someone played some heavy rhythm!). It's missing a back brace and the tuners (not original) will be replaced with banjo tuners.

This guitar was first purchased by a man named George Frederick Wevill in the 1930s. His son thinks he bought it in Japan where the family spent several years (and the son was born). He was a Canadian who worked as an accountant for the federal government. He liked to play songs of the time, wartime songs, and Hawaiian songs especially (his honeymoon was in Hawaii). The sticker on the original case is from a family trip to Europe via the Empress of France, A Canadian Pacific Ship travelling from Montreal to Liverpool in August 1954. (The "Wanted" on the sticker indicates that the owner wanted access to it on the voyage.). The instrument ended up in the hands of the son, David Wevill, who is now in his eighties and is a poet and former professor in Texas. I guess he sold it which is how it eventually ended up in the hands of the person who sold it to me (and who got this info from David Wevill).

It's not that often that one knows much about a vintage instrument so I thought I'd share it.

For those interested in literary history, there is also a strong connection between David Wevill and the tragic life of Sylvia Path. But it's not relevant here so I'll leave that to those who want to look for it.

Thanks for looking.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.47.38 PM.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	198200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.47.48 PM.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	198201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.48.07 PM.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	198202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.48.16 PM.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	198203Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.48.28 PM.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	198204
    Cary Fagan

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cary Fagan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A Regal tenor guitar with a history

I put Waverly 4081 Uke tuners on my Regal....pricey, but they look and work great. I prefer the knobs from the side instead of the back of the plate.

Nice that you got some history with it. Enjoy!

I still have the original geared banjo tuners that came on it. If you are interested pm me.

I'll do that, thanks. I like to keep the original look.
    Cary Fagan

5. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

fox 

Not many instruments come along with that detailed a history. It is the sort of information that gets you extra points on the "Antiques Road Show".

As a fellow professor in Texas, I am happy to hear this great story!

Those Regals are nice. You might research whether that bridge is original. To me, it has the look of a well-meaning but not very well informed replacement. Just my two cents. Heavy ebony or rosewood bridge with a bone saddle can be a real tone sucker on a tenor.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've already replaced the bridge with one I made from maple. It improved the sound, making it louder and more resonant and lowering the action a little. I've put on banjo tuners, fixed a loose brace and replaced a missing one. I've ordered some black pickguard material as I want to protect the top where it is most worn. I'll shape it as close as I can to the original guards you see on some Regals. I've been playing it every day, mostly Irish tunes, and it sounds great. I also realized that it could fit into a very nice Guardian Baritone Uke case that I have and wasn't using. I had to remove some of the thick padding (cutting open the green plush material, removing some padding, and gluing it up again) and cut down the neck support. Now it's a perfect fit. I feel lucky to have found it and to be its next stop along the way.
    Cary Fagan

Cary Fagan

Cary, I love this! I’m still holding on to my 1914 Gibson A even though I never play it because it was once owned by the only man known to have survived 2 grizzly bear attacks. Those stories are almost as great as the instruments themselves!

-Matthew