Thread: New Mandolindo by KR Strings

Default New Mandolindo by KR Strings

I finally received my Mandolindo that I’d ordered from Kilin last month. FedEx actually delivered it on schedule with no damage….other than to the pickguard. More on that in a bit.

Spruce top, Rosewood back and sides and what appears to be Koa binding. Finish is excellent, the only nit being a small white flake under the finish on the butt end, adjacent to the end pin.

I’ll preface my comments regarding how it sounds by saying I’ve never seen an octave mandolin in the flesh, much less played one. So, I don’t know what one is “supposed” to sound like. For that matter, I bought my first mandolin a couple of months ago without having the opportunity to play other examples, so I have to assume mine (Collings MF Deluxe) sounds satisfactory.

In any case, I love the sound of the Mandolindo. If I were use one word to describe it I would say resonant. I can feel the neck vibrate in the palm of my hand when I play chords, which is a good thing in my book. And, a really nice, prolonged sustain. A very sweet woody tone and quite loud. It does not sound like a guitar as I think some do based on YouTube videos. It has a unique tone of its own. Neither mandolin nor guitar.

The action is set up perfectly. No buzz and with perfect intonation. The action is easy, of course, due to the relatively low string tension resulting from the shorter scale length…21.5” IIRC. The G string feels a bit “floppy” for lack of a better term, also due to the string tension, I suppose.

I’m not real fond of the pickguard to be honest. It’s huge and requires a bracket with a post screwed into the side of the instrument. It was a custom addition I’d asked for. I only specified I wanted a floating pickguard. If I’d known how it would look and that it required an extra hole in the instrument, I would have passed on it. Moral of the story, ask lots of questions of your luthier before committing to custom additions. In fairness to Kilin, his pickguard design is based on the Gibson L5 as is the OM, itself. So, it’s on me if I don’t like it.

The outer edge of the pickguard is cracked. The case is a bit shallow and the pickguard has a slight upward warp to it as it projects outward from the neck. So, it rides a bit high and even a slight jostle during shipping would have caused the damage. I’ve communicated with Kilin and will be returning it for repair/modification after the holidays.

At some point in the near future, I’ll record and post some sound samples. When I do so, keep in mind my inexperience. In other words, focus on the sound of the instrument, not my playing.

Here are a few pictures (lots of reflections).

2. The following members say thank you to GChris for this post:

Default Re: New Mandolindo by KR Strings

I referred to it as a Mandolindo because that’s what it says on the headstock. It’s actually called an Octolindo. For some reason, I can’t edit my original post to clarify the model name.

Registered User Willi Bahrenberg's Avatar

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to hear the sound samples!

But what makes this an octolindo as opposed to an octave mandolin?

5. The following members say thank you to Willi Bahrenberg for this post:

GChris 

Wahoo, the Octolindo OM has arrived! It's gorgeous!

Yes, as mentioned in the previous thread, without a "Florida" extension, a bracket would most likely be needed to stabilize the pickguard. But, hey, this is the method employed for pickgaurds on Archtop guitars and mandolins until only recently. And that pickgaurd looks great too. That binding is sexy!

I can't wait to hear some samples of it. Thanks for posting some photos.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

7. The following members say thank you to Scotter for this post:

GChris