Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I have MAS and check the classified hourly…

Default I have MAS and check the classified hourly…

Does this seem normal or should I try harder?

2. The following members say thank you to 108 Mile for this post:

Default Re: I have MAS and check the classified hourly…

Just about every time I pick up my phone I hit the classifieds. It’s my browser homepage

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jcdraayer For This Useful Post:

Open Mandolin Cafe, Check classifieds, first then forum.

Adam

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to addamr For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery.

Though if you don't see it as a problem ... Who's to say?

The only time I was ever that driven - and I wasn't, never on an hourly basis, and it wasn't here but eBay, and it was more like a few to several times a day - was in 2007-2008. I'd had my F-12 stolen after 30 years, and though I had a replacement, it wasn't that good. So I kept checking eBay for something good I could afford, bidding and getting outbid again and again. Most of the time these were Gibson A's from the teens. Finally, after about a year, I won one that no one was too interested in. It had some cosmetic damage in the form of scrapes where the pickguard used to be, and a short crack in the top above the soundhole. Those scrapes looked bad - bare wood - but wouldn't affect the sound or the structure. I guess that was enough to scare people off. Anyway, I got her for a good price, and she has served me well ever since.

I've kept an eye on eBay over the years since then, on occasion, just checking, but my attention has never been directed in a very dedicated way. Actually, I get more tips about what's out there right here in the forum, and hardly ever look in the classified, other than to price check. People post pretty often about instruments for sale hither and yon. That means a great many more eyes looking at a great many more places than I ever could on my own. Besides, I've already got all I want. Though if the right one comes along ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

8. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

MAS seems to me to sometimes become recessive, but always is lurking.
    Perhaps a 12 step program may help. Even now, when I think I have it licked, outcomes the classical sheet music, and I find myself hankering for a Phoenix Neo-Classical. Had to fight the urge to purchase an inexpensive Alverez bowl back that showed up here in the classifieds a few weeks ago.
    What stops me is the awareness that I would only rarely use it and my home's entertainment center is full.
    So either hang in there or apply the 12 steps.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

10. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by 108 Mile View Post
    I’m a recovering MASaholic, so I comment from personal experience. Your hourly checking of the classifieds would not be considered ‘normal’ behavior in any sense by general population norms. However, the general population also frequently confuses mandolins and ukuleles, so using them as a base for measuring the intensity of your illness is not valid.
    You must use like minded individuals to help answer your question. You’ll find that group here on the Cafe.
    I for one find your obsession perfectly acceptable and actually I envy your commitment.
    That said, I hope you understand that acquiring your next mandolin is akin to a junkie acquiring his next ‘fix’. You’ll be satisfied for a period of time. Inevitably you’ll be back in the classifieds however looking for your next score……….
    Stay strong my friend!

12. The following members say thank you to Pjones3 for this post:

I think you should try harder. Maybe bump it up to every half hour. See how that goes. I feel that it's healthier to have MAS than NMD envy.

14. The following members say thank you to Steve 2E for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pjones3 View Post
    I’m a recovering MASaholic, so I comment from personal experience. Your hourly checking of the classifieds would not be considered ‘normal’ behavior in any sense by general population norms. However, the general population also frequently confuses mandolins and ukuleles, so using them as a base for measuring the intensity of your illness is not valid.
    You must use like minded individuals to help answer your question. You’ll find that group here on the Cafe.
    I for one find your obsession perfectly acceptable and actually I envy your commitment.
    That said, I hope you understand that acquiring your next mandolin is akin to a junkie acquiring his next ‘fix’. You’ll be satisfied for a period of time. Inevitably you’ll be back in the classifieds however looking for your next score……….
    Stay strong my friend!
    That’s the diagnosis I wanted to hear!!!!!

Used to be an eBay "junkie," which is why I know own a Howe-Orme mandolinetto, a Merrill aluminum bowl-back, and a Polk-A-Lay-Lee. Kept flirting with pricey English-system concertinas, but finally ended up just buying from the Button Box.

Twice fellow Cafe members have contacted me directly with instruments for sale, which is why I own a Waldo bowl-back mandocello (currently undergoing top repairs -- who's ever seen a bowl-back's top crack along the cant?) and a Gibson TL tenor lute. If you show you've got an oversupply of mando stuff, you get typed as an easy mark -- not that I'm complaining: I love the Waldo and the TL.

Not easy living in a medium-sized city with two good vintage instrument shops, Bernunzio's and Stutzman's. Staying out of the classifieds is a wise move for me. Can't find a stringed-instrument buyer's support group -- "Hi, I'm Allen, and I'm an instrument-aholic."

"Hi, Allen..."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

That’s the diagnosis I wanted to hear!!!!!
    You are indeed deeply ill….

18. The following members say thank you to Pjones3 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    ………. Can't find a stringed-instrument buyer's support group -- "Hi, I'm Allen, and I'm an instrument-aholic."

"Hi, Allen..."
    You don’t think you’re in that group right now?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

30+ instruments in, I finally realized, money aside, it’s far easier to acquire than to offload. Duh! That’ll learn me! Such insight might be an MAS cure. Might need to write it on the instrument wall, in big letters, as a “booster shot” against waning self-control.

Buying in our times is just a click away: selling takes some patience.
    Unlike fishing, when it comes to mandolins, it’s easier to catch ‘em than to release ‘em…

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mjbee For This Useful Post:

There are certainly worse addictions to have!

Rob

24. The following members say thank you to robw95 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pjones3 View Post
    Stay strong my friend!
    Checking the MC classifieds hourly is within the realm of normal behavior. However if you were doing that on Banjo Cafe then that would be worthy of an intervention

26. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Checking the MC classifieds hourly is within the realm of normal behavior. However if you were doing that on Banjo Cafe then that would be worthy of an intervention
    That is true and I confess I look at banjo ads here.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

My MAS was cured, well abated some, when I was fortunate enough to get a Randy Wood F 5. I still visit this site multiple times a day because it's interesting.

29. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Mine comes and goes... I usually get bit pretty hard every time I have a bonus of some sort 😅

However, my Weber and Red Valley held mas off for four years. Not bad.
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zach Wilson For This Useful Post:

You’re just passionate. Embrace it!

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post:

Registered User Willi Bahrenberg's Avatar

My personal schedule:

First thing in the morning: Check German classifieds site first, then Reverb.com, then Dutch classifieds site (still hoping the Krishot F-5 that I didn't pull the trigger on (fool!FOOL!!) might come back), then the cafe.

After putting the kids to bed: Repeat process.

35. The following members say thank you to Willi Bahrenberg for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Here's the thing - once you're in, there's no way out. You may think there is, but even after you've found what seems like a really good, even great, mandolin, you'll keep looking. Because you never know when you'll find something better. Or just different, so you'll have two different-sounding instruments, each with particular strengths in areas that one has more than the other. That could also justify having another, and another, and another ... Or maybe you'll keep looking, just to compare yours with what else is out there, to see how good a deal you got. Or maybe you'll keep looking because you want to have one of each of whatever categorization intrigues you. But you'll probably keep looking because you want to replicate the feeling of joy and success and culmination of desire you received from the first time, even though it's a hunger that can never be fully satisfied. Sorry, but once you're in, you're in, and there's no way out.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

37. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Im just glad that i'm not the only one who's refreshing the classifieds hourly. The obsession did help me land the A style I wanted at the price I wanted afew months back though. The seller admitted that he had multiple inquiries within minutes so I probably wouldnt have gotten it without my addiction. I told myself that once I got a good F and A style i'd stop checking in so regularly but that hasnt happened.

39. The following members say thank you to DaveNils for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Buying one helped cure mine.... for now.

"Keep your stick on the ice. We're all in this together."
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

41. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

It's part of my daily routine, usually as I'm finishing my morning coffee. Log on, check the classifieds, then go to the forum. And I have no intention of buying another mando. Between having all that I need, and a slowly developing feeling of my hands getting arthritis, I feel that acquiring any more instruments just isn't necessary. But I still love to see what's out there and at what price.
    And yeah every once in a while I see something that makes me think maybe, maybe....... Like that Stiver F that has graced the ads recently. No, I tell myself.
    Control yourself. Don't give in!
    I'll still be back tomorrow.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

43. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post:

How are you going to find a sweet deal if you aren't looking?!

45. The following members say thank you to Zach Williams for this post:

I'll be the dud/killjoy and offer the opinion that it's all about time and money and how we use the limited quantities of both that we have. Seeing what's out there to buy is really normal, but like "going shopping," but sustained wanting really isn't a good thing when it occupies too much time, energy, and headspace. Ditto for constant purchasing, selling, and purchasing. Most of us do all these things, and of course I do, too, but the issue is one of scale: how much? I've develoiped the habit of reaching for an instrument -- I have a mandolin and a guitar on stands 6 feet away from me -- rather than my computer. I still get some amazing stuff now and again but it's not a preoccupation. There are always instruments, deals, more instruments, and more deals. Good luck striking your own balance. Personally, I value improvement in playing (and listening) over having somewhat better stuff.