Thread: Red Valley Em Mandolin

Default Red Valley Em Mandolin

Anyone have any thoughts on Red Valley EM mandolin built by James Wilson around 2012? appears to be Flat Top Oval hole instrument.
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Red Valley Em Mandolin

James is still making them as of my last contact (June 2021). He has a website, so Google Red Valley mandolins and you'll find him. He makes a decent flattop. I have one. It has a nice big fat tone. There is a video of mine being made at the Red Valley website. I am not sure, but I believe the soundtrack for the video is that mandolin. It sure sounds like it to me anyway. I am happy to have it. Dusty Strings Music in Seattle has sold a lot of his mandolins and they may have one instore, so if you are in the PNW you might could sample a new one there.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I am the proud owner of a Red Valley Em (#210) that James built for me in 2018. It's a Spruce top and Mahogany back and sides. It's got Rubner tuning machines and a upgraded tailpiece that he made. Flat fingerboard. The thing sings!

It's the mandolin that I play the most. Its loud, yet sweet and is full of those flat top overtones that I love so much! The set up he did was excellent too. In group settings I play folk, acoustic pop, and acoustic modern worship music and hymns. It's a fine mandolin for anything other than maybe traditional Bluegrass.

He's a good builder and person. It was a fun experience emailing and calling back and forth while mine was being made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211216-025512_Photos.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	664.5 KB 
ID:	198225

https://youtu.be/RxSwnb9EiMY

Here's a video I did a few years back when I first received mine. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Zach Wilson; Dec-19-2021 at 5:21am.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/179648#179648

Is this the one you're looking at? Looks like a good deal to me. NFI. It has the custom tailpiece which is an upgrade. The fretboard has been scooped and I don't know if that was done by James or not. It also looks like it has a bone saddle that I believe James used on his earlier builds.

I previously owned an AM that I really enjoyed, but I moved it along. I kinda wish I still had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/179648#179648

Is this the one you're looking at? Looks like a good deal to me. NFI. It has the custom tailpiece which is an upgrade. The fretboard has been scooped and I don't know if that was done by James or not. It also looks like it has a bone saddle that I believe James used on his earlier builds.

I previously owned an AM that I really enjoyed, but I moved it along. I kinda wish I still had it.
    I saw that one too (nfi). It has a different peghead veneer than mine, which is cherry. I am not very good at identifying wood types. Does anyone know what type of wood is being used there? I wonder if it is Walnut like the back and sides... this seems interesting and possibly an upgrade as well as most of the ones I've played (I live just south of Seattle and to Dusty Strings occasionally) are either Maple or Mahogany.

Looks like a good deal to me as well.

Looks like bringing attention to an particular instrument improves the timely sales of it. Its gone.

Quote Originally Posted by colemole View Post
    Looks like bringing attention to an particular instrument improves the timely sales of it. Its gone.
    Darn! That was a lot of Mando for the money!
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj