Thread: RIP Jim Griffith

Default RIP Jim Griffith

Jim Griffith passed yesterday in Tucson Az. Big Jim, as most folks called him was a large man who left a bigger legend. Anyone who played acoustic music in Tucson from about the 60's to the 80's was influenced by Jim. This would include a young Linda Ronstadt, an older Leslie Keith, and about anyone who learned 3 chords on a guitar. Jim is best know for starting the Southwest Folklore Center and the fall festival called Tucson Meet Yourself.
    I exchanged emails with Jim about a month ago asking him if he wanted to attend a memorial jam for a friend. He said , because of his health, he couldn't make it but asked if we would play "I'll Be All Smiles Tonight " for him. The words are kind of fitting. "Though my heart will break tomorrow, I'll be all smile tonight" Vaya con Dios. Jim
    https://tucson.com/news/local/tucson...me-top-story-1

2. The following members say thank you to JimKo for this post:

Default Re: RIP Jim Griffith

I met him when I was in college and he came to play there. This was nearly 50 years ago. I loaned him my D-18 to play on the show. We played tunes for a long time after the concert. He was quite a fellow. I recently found his old LP as in a digitized version and went down memory lane. We all die, but his memory lives. So sorry to hear this news.