Thread: Thoughts on abbreviated pickguards

Default Thoughts on abbreviated pickguards

I'm looking at making abbreviated pickguard for my A (personal) mandolin. Not posting in the builders thread as I'm looking for user experience... I want as small as possible so not to change the look as much, just add some protection. I know Cumberland makes one- but no dimensions on the site; and at the same time, my mando is blue so want to build a custom one using flame maple dyed to match.

For those of you who use one today-- and it feels comfortable, wondering what length and width on yours? I can derive a profile from there- just interested in what might feel good vs feel like its in the way. thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue A5 2a.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	838.9 KB 
ID:	198250
    "If you hit a wrong note, then make it right by what you play afterwards." - Joe Pass

Default Re: Thoughts on abbreviated pickguards

I think it’s more a case of what it looks like than how big it is. Both my Kimbles came with one and I wouldn’t like to be without them. I don’t use them to plant fingers as such but just brush them and find them useful as a guide. I decided to add on to my OM so I designed one, my luthier produced it in ebony and attached it to the side of the fingerboard. He claimed that it wasn’t a particularly easy job getting it in exactly the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    I think it’s more a case of what it looks like than how big it is. so I designed one... my luthier produced it in ebony and attached it to the side of the fingerboard. He claimed that it wasn’t a particularly easy job getting it in exactly the right place.
    I generally like when it follows the contours of the treble side of the mandolin. The size can be adjusted to the tastes of owner. It should also be mounted with the top point lining up with the cross piece where the neck joins the body. Shape to taste and try different materials; ebony, maple, tortoise, etc., bound or unbound. Experiment and have fun!!.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I'm the same as Ray, I use it more as register to where my hand is and fingertips just lightly brush it. Mine are pinned into the fingerboard extension a good 1/16" below the fretboard surface and angle down 13º from there to keep them out of the way. For me, a pickguard level with the strings get s in the way and drives me nuts.

Mine are made from ebony scraps and polished out to 1000 grit for a nice tactile effect (not sticky)Attachment 198270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020668.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	356.4 KB 
ID:	198271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020667.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	198272

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Roy For This Useful Post:

The other issue is how to attach it. The ones on my Kimbles are attached with a pin and a small screw. Following Austin Clark’s advice, the one on my OM is a purely friction fit with two pins. It’s never come loose but I had to tighten the screw on one of the others the other day - I suspect that’s never been touched since 2008.

Question Re: Thoughts on abbreviated pickguards

I got a 2nd hand one off the classifieds, here ..
    My local guy used 2 thin better quality steel wood screws..

Fitting it On my Mix A5 [No f holes covered in the process if that's your worry]

trad Gibson way, they used finish nails with the head cut off. a softer steel ,
    as anyone banging a nail in & bending it will know.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    The other issue is how to attach it. The ones on my Kimbles are attached with a pin and a small screw. Following Austin Clark’s advice, the one on my OM is a purely friction fit with two pins. It’s never come loose but I had to tighten the screw on one of the others the other day - I suspect that’s never been touched since 2008.
    Mine are just friction fit with pins. I made a jig in acrylic to make sure they match up perfectly. I like the idea of one pin and a screw but the mechanics of milling the recess for the screw and getting it installed in the narrow space on a mando scared me off. Mine come off with some strong wiggling but don't work themselves loose on their own.

I would say the size depends on your playing style. If it is small and you have a lot of hand movement your hand will fall of and it will be a pain. If you don't have a lot of movement a smaller one will work fine. Maybe play into a mirror and watch the movement of your hand and see how far you travel. I use it to brush and not plant and can play without, but prefer to have one on. I don't think size has anything to do with sound, simply looks. I don't mind it larger, actually prefer it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    Mine are just friction fit with pins. I made a jig in acrylic to make sure they match up perfectly. I like the idea of one pin and a screw but the mechanics of milling the recess for the screw and getting it installed in the narrow space on a mando scared me off. Mine come off with some strong wiggling but don't work themselves loose on their own.
    Not sure what you mean by “milling the recess for the screw”. The three pickguards are essentially the same except that the two Will Kimble produced have a fixed pin and a hole (for the screw) where the second pin would be. The screw head is hidden beneath the pickguard.

I had one installed by Steve Smith/Red Line/Cumberland Acoustics, along with refret, new bridge and other stuff (highly recommend his work by the way). The pickguard mount is just 2 pins into the neck and it's solid for me but if you're really pressing down, I've seen some with a wood pillar at the bridge end (from Northfield, maybe?), w/leather or felt on the bottom, to support that end from underneath. Shd never need the old school angle bracket drilled/screwed into the side.
    Last edited by gtani7; Dec-24-2021 at 2:08pm.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

I liked the abbreviated style, 5 - 5 1/4” x 2”. A midsize is good to, 5 1/4” x 2 1/8” - 2 1/4”. Pins and or screws are sufficient alone, without a side bracket, to securely hold the pg in place

Name:	0420C8C5-A5BB-4AB5-8E71-A766B2380FFD.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	198479 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB577CDE-0543-4618-97EC-D7CDD012C748.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	587.7 KB 
ID:	198480 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99A060DC-CDB7-4745-BB2A-E86C6B53F233.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1,005.0 KB 
ID:	198481

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Edwards For This Useful Post:

I like the word abbreviated. It's fancier than short or small. From now on I'm playing an abbreviated scale mandola.

My Eastman's pickguard is pretty small.

16. The following members say thank you to M19 for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Name:	Screenshot_20220101-135015_Drive.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	198483

No longer in the collection but imo a beautiful and elegant take on the abbreviated pickguard.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

18. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

First of all, I love the blueburst look of the back and sides of your mandolin!! That said, I’m not a pick guard fan. I prefer to see the contours and wood of the top unimpeded, and I don’t need the guard for a guide…nor do I abuse my tops with pick nor pinky,

But, nothing against those that like them. I took the one on my Rigel CT-110 off and put the two screws into the holes on the side of the fretboard for safe keeping. The guard is in my case. I’m not able to presently, but will do some measuring and try to post some pics tomorrow. It’s nicely done IMO, very unobtrusive as these things go, it just isn’t for me…

20. The following members say thank you to CES for this post: