Thread: D’addario XT differences

Default D’addario XT differences

So… I’ll preface this by saying I’m not a gear nerd… for the last 10 years I’ve just put on a new set of J74’s every few months.

But, after reading D’addario’s advertising (and some positive comments on the Cafe), I thought I’d try the XT strings. I think they cost me 14 bucks?

Anyway, to me they sound deader than dead. Flat, muffled, soft… worse than the 4 month old J74’s that I removed.

I don’t care about the money…. Just curious if anyone else had the same experience? Did I get a bad batch? (I’m 99.9% sure they weren’t counterfeit) Or do they really sound that different? It appears the alloy is the same…is it just the effect of the coating? I think that only some of the strings are coated but they all sound dead to me.

New pack of J74’s going on tonight.. (actually I guess they are called EJ74’s now, I know). I’m still a D’addario fan.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: D’addario XT differences

I had the same result when I tried Nickel plated steel strings once. They were just awful and came off a day later.

Like you I have been using only Phosphor bronze (uncoated) strings for years and I wonder if that has just become what I am used to and like, feel and sound.
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

3. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

I put a set of Elixirs on a mandolin - took them off two days later. That's the only time I ever changed strings that soon. But I like Elixirs OK on guitar and a lot on 12-string.

D.H.

5. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
    I put a set of Elixirs on a mandolin - took them off two days later. That's the only time I ever changed strings that soon. But I like Elixirs OK on guitar and a lot on 12-string.
    I have EXP coated strings on my D-18…. I think they sound great.

Just ditched the XT’s and put a set of EJ 74’s on…. My Big Mon is ringing like a bell again- it sounded really strangled with the XT’s
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

7. The following members say thank you to Jstring for this post:

No experience with the XTs, but have the XSs on a couple of mandos. Definitely don't sound flat, muffled or soft!

BTW - I would have thought you'd only need to change the wound strings when going back to the EJs. I would have thought there would be little difference in the unwound strings?

Blog Entries

I tried the XTs J75s) a bit ago and liked them okay. My issue was they lasted like 1-2 days longer than EJ75s typically last for me. So, for me they did t seem worth it: a little bit less tone that lasts a little bit longer for twice the price. Doesn’t make sense.

Now, I will say I loved the EXP74s years ago. It was version before the final version of them. I thought they were as advertised and I loved the tone they pulled. I remember feeling like I didn’t know what I was going to when they “upgraded” to the dental floss. The non-coated strings did the trick,

10. The following members say thank you to Kevin Briggs for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post
    BTW - I would have thought you'd only need to change the wound strings when going back to the EJs. I would have thought there would be little difference in the unwound strings?
    I thought they all sounded slightly muffled; the wound strings were definitely worse. I figured it was my imagination, but I went to the D’addario website- it says ALL the strings in the set are coated.

No matter how I tried, I just couldn’t get them to “ring out” like the regular J74’s do… they wouldn’t cut through in a jam. And we have a loud banjo player (aren’t they all!)
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

12. The following members say thank you to Jstring for this post:

To be fair, I play mostly bluegrass and I generally play as hard as I can without overdriving the mandolin….

When played more softly, the XT’s sounded ok, just a little dull.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

I don’t find a lot of difference from the EXPs other than the price. Using the heavy gauge on my Silverangel the E and A strings can be piercing if I hit them hard. G is a little dull, but no more than with the EXPs. I tried not to like them, but they’re working fine.

Looks as if the price has come down a bit.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Quote Originally Posted by Jstring View Post
    I thought they all sounded slightly muffled; the wound strings were definitely worse. I figured it was my imagination, but I went to the D’addario website- it says ALL the strings in the set are coated.

No matter how I tried, I just couldn’t get them to “ring out” like the regular J74’s do… they wouldn’t cut through in a jam. And we have a loud banjo player (aren’t they all!)
    Interesting - I always assumed the plain strings in such sets were "treated" at best, not actually coated.

I love coated strings. I have since switched to the XT and I'm fine with them. But i'll say this....I can't wait for elixirs to get past this supply issue and get on with the shipping.

Strings are personal to your ear and your mandolin. There is no need to poopoo other peoples likes since we are all different. Lots of room for lots of sounds!

This year I was curious about all the other string types available since all I had ever used was EJ74's. So I purchased 1 set of each type made by D'Addario and tried them. I didn't hear anything negative with any of the various sets, but I didn't hear any that I liked better than the EJ74's and I didn't find that the coated strings lasted any longer really. I am not playing in smoke & sweat filled clubs like I used to do with guitar. Then I loved the coated strings.

So I am back to just the EJ74's since they are less than 1/2 the cost of the other sets. Of course everybody is different, different ears, different fingers. But for me I made my choice.

My next personal experiment will be to buy a set from every other company and then compare to the D'Addario set that I currently use. Who knows what I might like unless I try it.

Blog Entries

I'll go ahead with a mild hijack....

Other brands/sets I've enjoyed include the following:

1. GHS Bronze (sounded great, went dead quick)
    2. Black Diamond Phosphor Bronze (sounded great, went dead quick)
    3. Mangan Bluegrass Series 11.5s (superior tone and longevity)

As indicated, the Mangan strings are, for me, the golden goose. The tone is more focused than J75s and the strings seemed to last about as long as XTs did for me. They're also a little more expensive, so there's that, but otherwise they are my favorite set.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

I used GHS silk and bronze LSB 250 for a long time, until maybe 10 years ago. After buying a box of 10 sets at least 3 times that had corroded strings, I switched to J74's. GHS at some point switched to better packaging and I have recently found myself enjoying the silk and bronze once again. For those that are trying different string sets, you may want to give GHS LSB 250 a try.
    Russ Jordan

Just to respond to a few of the suggestions…

1. The Mangan strings are great… almost as beloved as J74s it seems. I used them a few times with great results. Then they went up in price if I remember, and I just used J74s for a long time.

2. I had a set of GHS a270 Bronze strings on an Ellis A model I owned… they sounded great, and they have the thicker 16 A string.
    I never thought to try the Silk and Bronze…. Just guessing that they have a softer tone? I assumed they were more for classical, old-time etc.

3. I never like the Elixirs at all… But I thought the EXP 74s sounded fine…. I guess that’s why I’m so surprised that the XT’s didn’t work at all for me.

Ok, I’m off to order a few packs of Mangan / GHS strings… and a few EJ74’s as well.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Quote Originally Posted by Jstring View Post
    2. I had a set of GHS a270 Bronze strings on an Ellis A model I owned… they sounded great, and they have the thicker 16 A string.
    I never thought to try the Silk and Bronze…. Just guessing that they have a softer tone? I assumed they were more for classical, old-time etc.
    I think the silk and bronze are a little warmer but not at the expense of volume. Doyle Lawson endorses them, so I guess they meet the bluegrass test!
    Russ Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    I think the silk and bronze are a little warmer but not at the expense of volume. Doyle Lawson endorses them, so I guess they meet the bluegrass test!
    I’ll add them to my string order!
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18