Thread: Learning by ear mental mapping note names

Default Learning by ear mental mapping note names

I primarily learn tunes by ear as I find it is the best and quickest way for me to truly commit a song to memory.

Lately I’ve been thinking of taking it a step further and saying the names of each note as I play them either aloud or in my head as a way to really learn the fretboard more thoroughly rather than relying on shapes and patterns by themselves without knowledge of the actual note name.

Is this worthwhile? I’m sure I could get by for a long time as is, but this seems like it could lead to a deeper understanding and connection with the music.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    Northfield F5S
    Northfield Calhoun
    Eastman 305

Default Re: Learning by ear mental mapping note names

IMHO the more you know the better you are especially if you are playing with other humans. For instance, if you were in a band playing, say, in G, got used to that and your band brought in the singer who sang it in a different key, it would be useful for you to know how to transpose. Just one possible instance. So, not mandatory really but it wouldn't hurt. Same for learning to read various notation systems.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Beanzy 

Quote Originally Posted by Jcdraayer View Post
    I primarily learn tunes by ear as I find it is the best and quickest way for me to truly commit a song to memory.

Lately I’ve been thinking of taking it a step further and saying the names of each note as I play them either aloud or in my head as a way to really learn the fretboard more thoroughly rather than relying on shapes and patterns by themselves without knowledge of the actual note name.

Is this worthwhile? I’m sure I could get by for a long time as is, but this seems like it could lead to a deeper understanding and connection with the music.
    I think it in terms of scale degree, e.g. Root, 2, 3, 5, 6, etc. and shapes.

Blog Entries

I think it is important to know the note names, whether playing from memory or playing from the sheet music. In rehearsals the note name is often referred to, as it, "more tremolo on that C" or, "can you play that C on the same string as the rest of the phrase". When getting instructions or coaching, or when discussing music with another musician, the names of the notes become important.

Actually, one needs (eventually) to know it all: to know the names of every note playable on the instrument, and also scale degree of that note in the key of the tune or piece you are playing it in. Like anything else knowing one does not obviate the need for learning the other. Anything you don't know, you don't know, regardless of what else you do know.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

6. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

+1 what Jim & Jeff said
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jcdraayer View Post

I think you are ahead of me, but I find it helpful to internally use the note name.
    I do not say it aloud. There is a tendency to follow the pitch with the vocal, and
    that complication is a distraction and slows me down. To keep up I do not use
    any ♯ , ♭ , or ♮ I just learn the note that fits the context. Each note name is a
    sort of link to the sound. Then that sequence of notes helps me memorize the
    song.

I find using the note name helps me put a finger on the right fret. That is nearly
    automatic for me now. I expect it should become automatic to see a note and
    have the finger go to the right place. Kids probably learn that pretty quickly.
    I usually need to translate first to the note name. Then that note drives the finger.
    Mostly I do not practice with the music in front of me. If I did I might learn that.

I also find telling myself the note names has helped me recognize the notes,
    but I am not so far along as playing by ear.

So, I say, yes. Tell yourself the notes. It helps in learning the songs.
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

This is a very worthwhile exercise. If you use standard notation or tab it's helpful to say them as you see them on the paper. It helps get head, eyes, and fingers all moving the same way.