Thread: Old vs New Kentucky KM-150

Default Old vs New Kentucky KM-150

Hi guys,

I am new to mandolin and know there are a ton of threads pertaining to KM-150 but I couldn’t find one that addressed the question I have.

I hear a lot of people say that KM-150s are great for beginners but to stray away from the older ones since Kentucky apparently made a lot of improvements to these things since 2012.

Would one older than this like a 2009, Made in China, be a bad purchase. Is the quality really that bad. Does anyone know the differences between these older models and the newer ones? Thanks!

Default Re: Old vs New Kentucky KM-150

In the late 1980s, I bought a Kentucky A with F-holes - most likely Korean built and pressed top- in a pawn shop for $45. It had a 12-fret neck join and weak volume, but I got it set up to play acceptably. It served me well enough until I got more serious about playing mandolin circa 2000, although an instrument dealer did comment at one time that he felt sorry for me if that was the only mandolin I owned. I wound up selling it for a net of about $150 at that time. I strongly considered a contemporary Kentucky A during that portion of my mandolin journey and remember that the models at that time sounded a lot better than my Korean model, having carved tops and a 14 fret join.

Every once in a while, I'll pick up a starter mandolin when I'm cruising in an instrument store and I'm considerably impressed by the quality of Kentucky, Eastman, and The Loar models, compared to the Harmony that I started on in the '70s and the Kentucky I owned in the 80s. I think it is hard to go wrong with any of these if you can buy local and get a good set up at your local (not big box) music store.

Thanks John for the input.

Has anyone one here compared a pre-2012 model with a more current one? I’m curious to see if there are any differences

I have a KM-150 that I bought used. The serial number makes it a 2010 mandolin. I sent an email to Saga because, like you, I had heard the series had been upgraded. I got a very kind reply which is copied below. I have since added an Eastman MD 505, but the Kentucky remains a fine backup.

From Saga:

All indications suggest at that price point (and at that time) it is initially pressed; with final carving for even better fit and ultimately sound.

Current version receives more hand carving now that we use the European spruce tops and our workshop capabilities have improved at all product levels. (Your model was made with a really good Asian spruce top, by the way.)

I am quite sure your mandolin sounds great, too

Best regards,

David Gartland
    www.sagamusic.com

Thanks so much for your reply. This is perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much. This is perfect!

My understanding (from Cafe reading) is they’re now made in the same factory as the master models (KM-900 and above), so, while I’m sure there are some gems from the older production days, I suspect the newer 150s are more consistently better…FWIW.