Thread: Peg head nation course recommendations

Default Peg head nation course recommendations

Hey I am thinking of doing a peghead class.. looking for recommendations…I am probably a beginner into intermediate player… I got into mando over during pandemic after being a mediocre guitar player for years. I got most of major and minor chord shape under my belt (both open and closed positions) and have been expanding double stop knowledge but looking for ways to work single note lines and double stops together…and how to embellish on basic Melodies. I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew but I don’t want to eat baby food either…I am by no means a natural musician… I have to work at it… any recommendations would be great

Default Re: Peg head nation course recommendations

I did a few months of Sharon Gilchrest's course on fretboard methodology. I consider myself squarely intermediate.

The course was passed a little slower than I'd prefer. But overall it was beneficial and I feel more confident creating double stop stop embellished melody breaks. The methodology she presents is easy to grasp but will take some work to apply. I am looking forward to building on what I've learned from the course.

Sharon's Intermediate BG course also very useful for me, understanding the Bluegrass mando world. I suspect her new course on improv might be what you are looking for. Joe Walsh can teach you a lot also- The one geared at common jam tunes a bit more basic but lots of thoughtful ideas. The "advancing mandolinist" will push you toward some "Newgrass styles" and lots of technique, but all pretty bite size and manageable for this intermediate. If I practice. Good stuff, well presented. No one teaches each of us exactly what we think we want to know, when we want to know it, but all the PegHead teachers are pros and have a lot to add to my development. Its easy enough to gamble on a few months at a time for modest price.
    I'm going to retire very soon so I can practice more. Among other things.
    Gan Ainm
    AKA Colin, Athens GA and Nelson Co. VA when I can

I'll second Sharon's Intermediate BG mando and Fretboard methodology. She is a great instructor and the material is extremely well thought out. Highly recommended.
    Pomeroy F5 2003
    Weber Madison F5 2013
    Weber Sweet Pea travel mando 2006
    Eric Ouren open back banjo
    Bart Reiter open back banjo