Thread: Tone-Gard and Big Muddy Jumbo Mandolins

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Tone-Gard and Big Muddy Jumbo Mandolins

Big Muddy offers Jumbo Mandolins, which are mandola bodies with mandolin necks on them.

Tone-Gard offers two styles of mandola Dola-Gard. From their web site "DolaGard-V for Gibson H1 or H2 mandola, and DolaGard-S for H4 or H5 mandola."

I e-mailed Mike at Big Muddy and asked him what size Tone-Gard fit on his jumbo mandolin bodies. He said he didn't know. The only thing he could offer was that his jumbo mandolins have a body that is 10 1/8" wide 12 1/2" long.

Does anyone here own a Big Muddy Jumbo Mandolin? And if so, do you have a Tone-Gard on it? And if you do, what size do you use?
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: Tone-Gard and Big Muddy Jumbo Mandolins

FWIW I shot off an e-mail to Tone-Gard, but it's Sunday the day after Christmas so I don't expect a reply too soon.

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I've never considered or seen a tone guard on a flat top Mandolin. Interesting. Do you have a Jumbo Big Muddy? What are you hoping to accomplish with a tone guard that it isn't doing?

Are you buying a Jumbo Big Muddy? Are you thinking it isn't going to accomplish something without a tone guard?
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

4. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

I have a MUCH LOVED Big Muddy Jumbo! I used the regular mandoln ToneGard on it and it fit fine.

I’m looking hard at a Big Muddy Jumbo Wide M-2 (spruce & maple). I figure since I have a Tone-Gard on my KM-250 then I’d put one on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I've never considered or seen a tone guard on a flat top Mandolin. Interesting. Do you have a Jumbo Big Muddy? What are you hoping to accomplish with a tone guard that it isn't doing?

Are you buying a Jumbo Big Muddy? Are you thinking it isn't going to accomplish something without a tone guard?
    I've got Tone-gards on my F4 and F5 mandolins, my A4 mandola, F4 octave mandolin, my resonator mandolin and my Martin HD-28. As a fat old guy the tone-gard on each of these instruments helps prevent my gut from absorbing tone, volume and projection, especially when I play standing up.

Flat top, arch top makes no difference. The purpose of a tone-gard is to keep the back of the instrument off the player's body.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
    I’m looking hard at a Big Muddy Jumbo Wide M-2 (spruce & maple). I figure since I have a Tone-Gard on my KM-250 then I’d put one on that.
    Neat! I was only perplexed as I have honestly never thought to have, or seen a, flat top with a ToneGard. Sorry if I came off as dismissive or questioning.

Good luck on your search!

I’m sure Tony Pires will be able to help with sizing. But how does a Toegard help on a resonator mandolin, Mandobart?

Did you have to get larger sizes for your mandola and your octave mandolin? The Big Muddy jumbo mandolin is supposed to have a body the size of a mandola.

Tony from Tone-Gard replied to my e-mail.

"Big Muddy body flattop shapes are not based on the same shape carved mandolin shapes are. It’s not just width, it’s the overall shape. 10 3/16” is the width of a Gibson A mandolin. 11 3/16” is a Gibson H1 & H2 mandolas.

Because flattops are pear shaped the two shoulder arms of a Tone-Gard are too big for them. Because of the pear shape there’s nothing there to grab where on a typical mandolin there’s a gentle radius to the shape."

Based on Mike's reply with the dimensions of his jumbo mandolins (width of 10 1/8"), and Tony's reply regarding the width his standard mandolin Tone-Gards are made to fit (10 3/16”) it seems to me that a standard mandolin Tone-Gard could be made to fit a Big Muddy Jumbo mandolin.

And that seems to match the report from J. C. Bryant.

Is Tony saying that a Tonegard won’t fit or is he suggesting that you’ll need a custom gard? I suppose it depends on what question you asked.

According to his web site he doesn't do custom guards anymore.

15. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Didn’t know that but I knew he’d stopped shipping gards to the UK shortly after I bought a couple from him. (Due to the stupid UK customs rules.)

New ones are. as I understand, one pierce, CNC Laser cut from a flat sheet. not as before, a lot of welded pieces of round steel wire.
    now they're powder coated, in mass ..

When I got my round wire ones lo those many years ago, they were just air dried paint . (spray can?)
    But I have a local powder coating guy.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
    Did you have to get larger sizes for your mandola and your octave mandolin? The Big Muddy jumbo mandolin is supposed to have a body the size of a mandola.
    Yes. I got these back when Tony still did custom gards. I traced the outline of each instrument on heavy paper, then wrote the dimensions on the paper, including the arch of the back. The arch measurement is obtained by laying the instrument on a flat surface so that each side is an equal distance from that surface. Measure that distance.

Both custom gards fit great, even in the case. I have tone-gards on two flat backed instruments - I use a mandola gard on my 1930's Regal resonator mandolin and the standard one Tony sells for Martin dreadnaught guitars on my HD-28.

I wish I could get a custom gard for my 10 string F4 25" mandocello, but he's no longer making custom orders. Tony was always great to work with on the 2 custom gards I have.

I have a VintageGard on my flat top Beard. Tony didn't think a Gard would fit due to the hips. I tried one of the ones I already had & it fits fine. It's a little off center compared to my others but snug as a bug
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics