Thread: Eastwood Mando Magic - Opinions?

Default Eastwood Mando Magic - Opinions?

I almost bought one of these but decided to wait and get an electric octave mandolin. Has anyone tied it and formed an opinion of it? It sounds good in one guy's demo video not made by Eastwood. I like the body shape better than the Mandocaster, but you could paddle a canoe with that headstock. One source said that a steep angle between the nut and the tuning posts makes instruments go out of tune more easily. If someone has one- do you like it? How is it with distortion?

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/mandomagic

Default Re: Eastwood Mando Magic - Opinions?

Blog Entries

No offense to the posting of the above video, but here's one from someone that actually knows what a mandolin is and knows how to play one. Always amazed at people demoing mandolins and the first thing they say is, "I really don't know how to play one," or in this case confesses he's never even played one, and then proceeds to pretend to know what they're talking about.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    No offense to the posting of the above video, but here's one from someone that actually knows what a mandolin is and knows how to play one. Always amazed at people demoing mandolins and the first thing they say is, "I really don't know how to play one," or in this case confesses he's never even played one, and then proceeds to pretend to know what they're talking about.

You beat me to re-posting this. Thank you!
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

6. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

That is a better video. It seems like a pretty cool instrument if the build quality is good an it doesn't have a lot of electrical noise. Now I'm leaning more toward buying it. If I heard it sounding good through some heavy distortion that would seal my fate- well my pocketbook's fate.

8. The following members say thank you to Mitch_M for this post:

I have a Kentucky e300 four-string. I'm going to have to try out one of these eight-strings. I love the four-string, but it's a bit too much of a "little guitar."

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    I have a Kentucky e300 four-string. I'm going to have to try out one of these eight-strings. I love the four-string, but it's a bit too much of a "little guitar."
    I bought it and understood how four string electrics caught on when I tried bending strings! But I'm keeping all 8 strings on it.

It's basically a good instrument with notable flaws: Finish is great on the main body but part of the headstock was not sanded. It came with pretty high action. The jack position makes it pretty hard to play on your lap. The stain on the fretboard turned my fighter tips black. The bridge pickup is weak on the E course.

It is super fun to play and unplugged I like it better than a dang ukulele as a quiet instrument to play late at night.

Here in UK it seems like these electric mandos come out with Clearwater, Harley Benton (Thomann Music), Revelation (Hobgoblin Music), and Musoo on the headstock. Does anyone know if they're all the same instrument, made in the same factory and of the same quality? They're all exactly the same shape as the Eastwood, and most have the same control layout and pickup arrangement.

Cost appears to be from £95 (Thomann) to just under £200. Buyer reviews suggest the cheaper ones can require set up and strings to be playable out of the box, but after some work they're usable. Some reviews suggest some guitar pickups, particularly 'blade' types, are a straight swap and can be a great improvement. They didn't say whether the pickups are Strat or Telecaster shape.

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    Here in UK it seems like these electric mandos come out with Clearwater, Harley Benton (Thomann Music), Revelation (Hobgoblin Music), and Musoo on the headstock. Does anyone know if they're all the same instrument, made in the same factory and of the same quality? They're all exactly the same shape as the Eastwood, and most have the same control layout and pickup arrangement.

Cost appears to be from £95 (Thomann) to just under £200. Buyer reviews suggest the cheaper ones can require set up and strings to be playable out of the box, but after some work they're usable. Some reviews suggest some guitar pickups, particularly 'blade' types, are a straight swap and can be a great improvement. They didn't say whether the pickups are Strat or Telecaster shape.
    I would like to add Morgan Monroe as among the brand names here in the US and the observations and critiques seem to be unanimous across the board. They are all identical suggesting a single high quantity manufacturer, able to supply the demands of all of these retail outlets. They can be made to be satisfying e-mandos with a few upgrades. I haven't yet addressed the pickups criticisms but I like the idea of blade type DiMarzio pickups, like Jonathan Mann uses. Replace all of the electronics with upgraded components, etc.

I have spent a lot of time setting mine up so it's decent to play: shimming the neck pocket, adjusting pickup heights, bridge height, intonation, etc. At this point I don't know how much more I would do given how infrequently it's getting played but I can see where it could shine in the right band/song.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81358.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	198449

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

13. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

maxr 

If I’d known Thomann had the same instrument for less money I’d be more than “fairly satisfied” with it.

The bridge pickup is pretty weak on the top course- so much that I’ve been playing the E on fret 7 of the A course. I’m not a fan on 4 holes for 8 strings on the “tailpiece” part of the bridge. There is such a feeling of “it’s pretty cool but why didn’t they finish it.” Not to the point that I regret buying it- but my Chinese made Loar and Eastman instruments were more much better made. I can’t help wondering if their brand being just one syllable different from Eastman was not a coincidence.

15. The following members say thank you to Mitch_M for this post:

maxr 

Eastwood vs Eastman, other than similar names are quite different.
    Eastman started out as a violin maker.
    Eastwood started out to recreate funky, rare, vintage guitars.

17. The following members say thank you to Eastwood Guitars for this post:

lenf12 

Eastwood Guitars said "Eastwood started out to recreate funky, rare, vintage guitars."

Agree to that EG.and a fine job they do. I just wish more attention could be applied to the mandolins. The body designs are definitely cool enough for an old geezer such as myself, but some of the components could be sourced and offered as upgraded models, a kind of custom shop offering perhaps completing the circle...thinking out loud from a guy who would love to play more e-mando.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

19. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

An interesting idea, Len. Guitar companies do this all the time, so why not electric mandolins? At Thomann's price (the Harley Benton brand), they could double the retail price for a 'deluxe' model and still be very affordable.

An interesting idea, Len. Guitar companies do this all the time, so why not electric mandolins? At Thomann's price (the Harley Benton brand), they could double the retail price for a 'deluxe' model and still be very affordable.
    That was my thought exactly. Why not a an upgraded custom shop to help out challenged e-mando players who want a little more than the standard offers, Just a thought.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I play plugged in most of the time at gigs, but with a piezo. I bought an old 4 string fender mando strat, changed the p/u, made some mods so it intonated, and took it to a gig. Simply just did not bond with the 4 strings. Love the look, it plays easy and sounds good, but just not my acoustic 8 string. Haven't got the incentive to pass it along yet tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!