Thread: Help this beginner

Default Help this beginner

I am new to mandolin and am looking for both written and video/DVD instruction. I want to learn tablature. Please recommend your top teaching tools.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Help this beginner

Any clues? Like which style or genre you are most interested in learning? Do you have a musical background? Do you enjoy long moonlit walks on the beach?

Oh no, forget that last one.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Can you already read music? Have you played other instruments before? Do you prefer bluegrass, Irish/Celtic, or classical?
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
    Can you already read music? Have you played other instruments before? Do you prefer bluegrass, Irish/Celtic, or classical?
    Or jazz, or blues, or rock, or western swing, or folksongs, or country music, or...
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Two sources for video are Homespun.com and MurphyMethod.com. Most Homespun videos provide tabs. Murphy Method stresses learning by ear, which is VASTLY underrated. Videos are available from the sites via DVD or download.

Greg Howe has a 3 volume series called Complete Mandolin Method that a lot of people like. It's available from Amazon, and the book has both tab & standard notation, plus downloadable audio tracks.

Mandolin For Dummies is EXCELENT. I also like Mandolin From Scratch by Bruce Emory. All these books are available from Amazon.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

MandoLessons.com
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

No music background, except several months of guitar lessons, started with tabs. Never learned standard musical notation. I like folksongs, rock and some hymns. I started teaching myself some mando chords a
    nd strum patterns a few years ago. The beach should look like those in Maine, no hot, humid weather. 😆😆😆

If you are at all interested in bluegrass, I’d very highly recommend Sharon Gilchrist’s beginning bluegrass mandolin course on Peghead Nation. It’s a coherent introduction to mandolin that will get you playing tunes quickly. So glad I started my journey with that course. Learning tab is fairly trivial by the way — you’ll pick it up quickly. I think as an introduction it will serve you well no matter what kinds of music you pursue.

Just saw this posted by Tim Connell in the jams thread: https://www.timsmandolessons.com/reg...7-8153de05187e. He did this free 90 minute seminar in December and is doing it January 15th, too. I love Tim’s music. A free 90 minute session with Tim looking a “Roadmap to Mastery” … that’s got to be time well spent.

Thank you! I reserved my spot for the Jan. 15 session.

I've been playing about 1.5 years and tried a variety of instructional methods both online and in books. I am currently spending most of my time learning with David Benedict and his Patreon page. It is the best 5.00 a month I spend and I cannot recommend it enough. His videos are incredible, include notation, and he has a great way of explaining things.

You might try watching Wayne Benson on YouTube. A font of information. His specialty is bluegrass, but what he offers is useful for all kinds of music. He also give skype lessons.

I'll second mandolessons.com.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo