Thread: Tony Rice 'I've Waited As Long As I Can' on the mandolin

Default Tony Rice 'I've Waited As Long As I Can' on the mandolin

Thought y'all would enjoy this Tony Rice solo off of his album 'Tony Rice Plays and Sings Bluegrass.' It's a classic Tony break and actually lays out pretty nicely on the mandolin.

Sheet music will be attached here for you as well

Sheet Music:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I've Waited As Long As I Can (T.pdf 
Views:	141 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	198399

Tab:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I've Waited As Long As I Can Tab (T.pdf 
Views:	157 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	198400
    Last edited by Jake Howard; Dec-29-2021 at 4:41pm. Reason: correcting embed coding
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jake Howard For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tony Rice 'I've Waited As Long As I Can' on the mandolin

tried something, didn't work.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

This is so cool, Jake! I've been wanting to try and transcribe some Tony solos to see how they work on the mandolin so this will give me a nice kick in the pants trying to learn this one. That Nugget is sooooo nice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Fowler View Post
    This is so cool, Jake! I've been wanting to try and transcribe some Tony solos to see how they work on the mandolin so this will give me a nice kick in the pants trying to learn this one. That Nugget is sooooo nice, too.
    You and I are on the same wavelength. I have 'How Mountain Girls Can Love' on my music stand at the moment seeing if I can get it up to speed for the next video. It's a doozy! And the Nugget is a great mando made by a great human being, super fortunate to have it.

Thanks, Jake. Alan Bibey taught Tony's break to Gold Rush at Monroe Camp. An excursion into the blues scale and great fun to play on the mando. Looking forward to learning I've Waited As Long As I Can.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Thanks, Jake. Alan Bibey taught Tony's break to Gold Rush at Monroe Camp. An excursion into the blues scale and great fun to play on the mando. Looking forward to learning I've Waited As Long As I Can.
    Hey Don! Long time no talk. That Alan Bibey guy sure knows how to play mandolin huh? And that's cool that he taught that. Makes me think about Tony's 'Cattle In The Cane' break as well.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Very interesting video. It shows how "monroeish" the TR guitar break was.

I modeled some of my instrumental breaks to some tunes after TR´s playing. "Cattle In The Cane" is one of them. TR´s playing surely translates very well to mandolin. "Mistake" around the 0:35 mark? It happens to the best of them.

Also "Wild Horse (At Stoney Point)" translates very well from TR´s solo to mandolin. It´s called Stoney Point on "Manzanita" and "Blake & Rice". With which part does one begin the tune? I like to begin with the part in minor as it flows nicely and then transitions to the "grittier" parts.

For years I modeled my mandolin part for "Gold Rush" after the classic TR guitar version (see the album "Church Street Blues"). But however great it all is, I do think that one has to take into consideration that a mandoliin is not a small guitar. It is great to see what you can transpose to a mandolin. Then you have to start over and see how you can make your "guitar translation to mandolin" sound more mandolin. I changed the way I play "Gold Rush" on the mandolin some time ago.

Great effort on your side Jake! Very instructive!
    Olaf

Registered User Willi Bahrenberg's Avatar

Hey Jake, how long have you been with the Henhouse Prowlers? I might have seen you in Bühl, Germany in 2019. Awesome show!

According to my memory the mandolin player back then didn't quite radiate the confidence on stage that you do in your video - also his left hand didn't look as efficient as yours - so maybe it wasn't you after all?

And thanks for the Tabs! This is great! I'll definitely learn this - getting it up to speed is a totally different matter ofc

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    Very interesting video. It shows how "monroeish" the TR guitar break was.

I modeled some of my instrumental breaks to some tunes after TR´s playing. "Cattle In The Cane" is one of them. TR´s playing surely translates very well to mandolin. "Mistake" around the 0:35 mark? It happens to the best of them.

Also "Wild Horse (At Stoney Point)" translates very well from TR´s solo to mandolin. It´s called Stoney Point on "Manzanita" and "Blake & Rice". With which part does one begin the tune? I like to begin with the part in minor as it flows nicely and then transitions to the "grittier" parts.

For years I modeled my mandolin part for "Gold Rush" after the classic TR guitar version (see the album "Church Street Blues"). But however great it all is, I do think that one has to take into consideration that a mandoliin is not a small guitar. It is great to see what you can transpose to a mandolin. Then you have to start over and see how you can make your "guitar translation to mandolin" sound more mandolin. I changed the way I play "Gold Rush" on the mandolin some time ago.

Great effort on your side Jake! Very instructive!
    I agree, I transcribed all of Tony's solos for the mandolin on the 'Tony Rice Plays and Sings Bluegrass' album and almost all of them ooze classic Tony bluesy phrasings.

I also agree that the mandolin is not a small guitar regardless of how many people say that to me at a gig. Also it is not a small guitar, there is a bunch of crossover vocabulary between Tony's guitar playing and the mando. Don Stiernberg posted this on a video of me playing a Tony solo recently and I think he puts it perfectly:

"lots of the good notes! Isn't it amazing how solos by the great masters like say, Tony Rice, Charlie Parker, George Benson, Lester Young, Johnny Gimble, Wes Montgomery et al sound great ON ANY INSTRUMENT? It's the notes and how the great artists string them together that make a solo great and stick around for a long time. it's not what formula was used, not whatever technical difficulty is presented, not the price or make/model instrument, etc...it's the notes and the logic used to align them into a melody with shape and contour and interest and emotion.."

Don, always an encyclopedia of insightfulness.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Bahrenberg View Post
    Hey Jake, how long have you been with the Henhouse Prowlers? I might have seen you in Bühl, Germany in 2019. Awesome show!

According to my memory the mandolin player back then didn't quite radiate the confidence on stage that you do in your video - also his left hand didn't look as efficient as yours - so maybe it wasn't you after all?

And thanks for the Tabs! This is great! I'll definitely learn this - getting it up to speed is a totally different matter ofc
    And I've been with them since the beginning of 2020 (great timing on my part haha). So that was a different mandolin picker with them at that point but I am excited to be playing music with the group now! Rumor has it we'll be back in Germany this summer

And of course, glad you enjoy the tab!

Registered User Willi Bahrenberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Howard View Post
    Rumor has it we'll be back in Germany this summer
    Oh cool, I just checked your schedule. Maybe we'll get tickets for the gig in Recklinghausen. The HHP are a great band, back in 2019 they totally stole the main act's show! Congrats on your new(ish) job!