Thread: Beginner tutorials

Default Beginner tutorials

I just got my OM and am so excited to start learning. Are there any free OM-specific tutorials available online?

Default Re: Beginner tutorials

Check youtube, there are quite a few for both GDAE and GDAD. From Montana?
    PNB
    Sobell Cittern, Sobell Bouzouki, Guild OM-150ce, Epiphone Masterbuilt DR-500cme
    72 Guild D50, Guild 212 string, Guild F50, Blueridge BR163 Deering Tenor Banjo
    numerous sets of bagpipes- most for sale, email me.

"When you have the music, you have the friend for life"

Thanks - glad to have access to YouTube. Yes.. born and raised in Manhattan!

You can check some of my vids below, but be aware that for the octave there are several quite different finger styles to choose from and it’s important to get solid with one style first and then branch out as you gain experience:
    sliding, pinkie or no, guitar style, hammer ons and pull offs or no, capo (or no )

Mandolessons.com too for mandolin style fingering.

Have you played a guitar before, and let’s see some photos of your octave, scale length? Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! Where would I find OM scale/chord fingering charts for a beginner? Is finger style a matter of personal preference, or is there a "best for beginner"? I have done a little with mandolessons.. is that a fine place to start, or will I run into issues? (I'm imagining I will) I have no guitar experience, but did play some violin and viola in high/post-high, and I feel some of that coming back quite easily, even after 20 years. My husband gifted me a Trinity College for my birthday. Pre-loved, supposedly with a modified bridge, which I have read is helpful on the TC. I love the looks and sound, and can't wait to make some progress.

As a beginner most people are suggest getting at least 5 or 6 local, in person lessons.

What style of music do you prefer, for what style will you be playing if that's how many back up?
    I think generally if you have large to very large hands then you can use mandolin style on an octave. I say hands but I actually mean long strong-ish fingers.
    Other people say that it depends on how rapid, agile and accurate your slides are. Check Greek music bouzouki for this.

Sierra Hull plays guitar style on longnecked octaves

https://youtu.be/y3jKa3fikLU

One thing for back up that you might like to learn is double-stops on just two strings in G major or D major all up the neck. (Always with a metronome).