Thread: 1942 Levin Mandolin Banjo

Default 1942 Levin Mandolin Banjo

Hi!

I fell prey of my MAS again and bought myself a little post-Christmas present: A 1942 Levin M 50 mandolin banjo. For what I've been reading in the forum, mandolin banjos are somewhat of a dividing force between mandolin players , but I couldn't resist... I'd like to try to play Aaron Weinstein's chord melody studies or something maybe a little bit old-time swing-ish with it... Never played one, I just bought it online from Sweden and it's going to be shipped shortly... Here's the link so you can check some pictures and a short video if interested. The waiting begins!

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/A4079062.php

http://www.jam.se/stranginstrument/b...___Stockholm_/

Best,

Isaac
    Prucha F5 2015
    Martin Style B 1920
    Weber F4 Bitterroot Octave 2013
    Eastwood Mandostang Sunburst 2020

Default Re: 1942 Levin Mandolin Banjo

These can be a lot of fun. I have posted this many times, but will again. Remember it is a banjo, use banjo strings, meaning light light. I buy two sets of tenor banjo strings (10-28). Your banjo will thank you for not stressing it, and it will sound better than with heavier strings. It will also last longer and play easier too. Have fun.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Nevin 

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    These can be a lot of fun. I have posted this many times, but will again. Remember it is a banjo, use banjo strings, meaning light light. I buy two sets of tenor banjo strings (10-28). Your banjo will thank you for not stressing it, and it will sound better than with heavier strings. It will also last longer and play easier too. Have fun.
    Thank you so much for the tips! I would have thought of treating the instrument more like a mandolin than a banjo, probably. I guess I need a little bit of research while the instrument gets to its new home!
    Prucha F5 2015
    Martin Style B 1920

Strings are strings no matter what instrument it states on the packet. It’s the gauge which really matters.

I think many mandolin-banjo players buy two sets of tenor banjo strings vs. mandolin strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I always just put the same D'Addario J74s on my banjolin that I put on my mandolin. Never put a whole lot of thought into it, admittedly, but since I was using it only occasionally as a variant in my instrumentation for the jug band in which I was then playing, I didn't feel a need to delve any further. It had a plastic head, which was rather brash and loud, and I suppose using nickel-wound strings might have helped it sound a little less, well brassy, but I just left the strings on longer, as the deader they got the sound got somewhat softer.

When I looked at the photos and video at the link provided, I noticed the sales price, expressed with the figure 2500. That gave me pause. Then I realized it was from Sweden, so that was in krona. If your total expense, with shipping etc., came to under €300, a little more than $300 US, I think you did well. It sounded good in the video. I expect it will provide you with much joy.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Welcome to the world of mandolin banjos, and farewell to your friends. I like the sound of your instrument. Mine is a 1923 Vega Little Wonder. I like it especially for ragtime and very old (1920's, early 30's) blues and blues-related music. Is too early to introduce the idea of octave tuning on the G and D strings, as practiced by many black American blues-mandolin players? I recommend the CD, Rags, Breakdowns, Stomps & Blues: Vintage Mandolin Music 1927-1946 (Document Records). You'll have plenty of fun.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think many mandolin-banjo players buy two sets of tenor banjo strings vs. mandolin strings.
    Thanks, I think I'll try this, although I also emailed the seller and asked which string gauge is the instrument currently using. Let's see what he has to say...

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    When I looked at the photos and video at the link provided, I noticed the sales price, expressed with the figure 2500. That gave me pause. Then I realized it was from Sweden, so that was in krona. If your total expense, with shipping etc., came to under €300, a little more than $300 US, I think you did well. It sounded good in the video. I expect it will provide you with much joy.
    Glad to hear the price sounds right. I was not sure about it and have been seeing -from online browsing- that Levin mandolins have different prices and different quality depending on the particular instrument... What helped me decide is that the seller is a swedish store with a tone of information about Levin mandolins. They look professional and they've been super friendly and useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Welcome to the world of mandolin banjos, and farewell to your friends. I like the sound of your instrument. Mine is a 1923 Vega Little Wonder. I like it especially for ragtime and very old (1920's, early 30's) blues and blues-related music. Is too early to introduce the idea of octave tuning on the G and D strings, as practiced by many black American blues-mandolin players? I recommend the CD, Rags, Breakdowns, Stomps & Blues: Vintage Mandolin Music 1927-1946 (Document Records). You'll have plenty of fun.
    Thanks so much for the references, Ranald! I think I'm going to start with "New Orleans Swing" or something like that... Maybe look for my dusty copy of The Real Book and try to play some stardards... I was just starting to investigate a little about what to play with it, and so your reference is much appreciated! I'm going to give it a listen right now!
    Prucha F5 2015
    Martin Style B 1920

10. The following members say thank you to Isaac Casas for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Maybe they do but there’s really no need. If you can buy a set of eight strings in one packet with the right gauges, the only difference is what’s written on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Pops, I'm a bit confused about your ofttimes repeated advice. I don't play banjo and know nothing about banjo strings. When I look at banjo strings, it's not clear to me what I need. Could you please clarify, If I go to the music store what exactly do I need to buy?
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Pops, I'm a bit confused about your ofttimes repeated advice. I don't play banjo and know nothing about banjo strings. When I look at banjo strings, it's not clear to me what I need. Could you please clarify, If I go to the music store what exactly do I need to buy?
    As someone in a previous post said "it's about the gauge". I buy tenor banjo strings because they are the gauge I want, and they have loop ends. I use a 10.5--28 set.

JB the J74's will work on your banjo mandolin, but they exert a lot more tension and will eventually make your instrument unplayable. These are built like a banjo, well they are a banjo, with the neck mounting not near as strong as a mandolin. If you have coordinator rods instead of a dowel stick it will help, but the lighter strings will also sound much better and not so brash. I have seen way too many of these unplayable because of too heavy strings being used.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

14. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Ranald 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I don't have it anymore. It was a Vega Little Wonder with a 12" body. I never noticed any warpage. There was a strut in line with the neck across the body, which surely helped maintain its form. Its sound was so loud and harsh (I called it "utterly devoid of subtlety") that I tried to play it as little as possible in the band. Eventually, I traded it for an older one with a smaller head - I think 8" - made of skin, which was much easier on the ears. Eventually, the skin broke on it. When I brought it into the shop, my luthier said it needed frets and other stuff, quoting a cost that was way more than my original cost. I just kind of left it there. It wasn't long after that the band and I parted ways, and I never did bother to retrieve it. I've managed to struggle along without it over the years, somehow.

All this is neither here nor there for the OP. I'd suggest following the advice of those who have more experience than I. In retrospect, I wish I had tried lighter strings. I had no idea about them at the time. Might have made my time with it more enjoyable.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Maybe they do but there’s really no need. If you can buy a set of eight strings in one packet with the right gauges, the only difference is what’s written on the outside.
    It depends on what you consider the right gauges. See pops posts above. The ultralight sets of mandolin strings such as GHS A240s does approach those gauges but not quite. Lighter strings with drive a thin skin head easier than even the thin wood of a vintage bowlback.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Light is 9/13/20w/32w windings nickel or bronze, your pick. I stuff something inside under the bridge to have a tone I prefer..

No Band, no critics.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Registered User Prince of Darkness's Avatar

Andy Banjo used to sell string sets for Mandolin Banjo, which I used on my GH&S, but I believe they have ceased trading Clifford Essex also list a set for Mandolin Banjo.
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

19. The following members say thank you to Prince of Darkness for this post:

Ranald