Thread: What phantom power suply are you using with a DPA 4099?

Default What phantom power suply are you using with a DPA 4099?

I have a DPA 4099 but want an independent phantom power supply for it. I don't want to rely on the mixing board for phantom power. What are other mando players using?
    Ideally I want to plug it into my red eye preamp.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Default Re: What phantom power suply are you using with a DPA 4099?

And this is what I use.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...m-power-supply

I zip tie it to my mic stand. The contact mic cable goes to one end, and the other end feeds out to the PA. It has an internal battery that is easily charged up before hand so that I don't need to mess with running wall power to it during performance.

Isn’t the DPA 4099 a microphone? I thought that the Red Eye was needed for piezos to boost the signal and match the impedance. I guess I have only used either a condenser mic or contact mic which only needed the 48V power, no pre-amp required in front of the amp or PA.
    Last edited by James Vwaal; Dec-31-2021 at 9:40pm.

Thanks for you input.

Excellent solution, that would work for me.

I have the red eye twin for my k&k pickup. The k&k is alright but doesn't sound like a mandolin to me. I plan on mixing the 4099 with the k&k hopefully getting a decent mandolin tone.

I wish Baggs still made their original mando pickup, I think that is what Jeff Austin used to get the amazing tone that he had.

I guess I am looking for the holy grail of a great amplified mandolin sound. Standing in front of a mic would probably be the best but I could not stand still when performing.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I have the red eye twin for my k&k pickup. The k&k is alright but doesn't sound like a mandolin to me. I plan on mixing the 4099 with the k&k hopefully getting a decent mandolin tone.

I guess I am looking for the holy grail of a great amplified mandolin sound. Standing in front of a mic would probably be the best but I could not stand still when performing.
    Yeah, that was my reason for going with a contact mic, I don't have to stand in a fixed spot.

I take it that you want to mix the K&K sound with the DPA 4099 sound. That sounds interesting. Let us know how it works for you.

Your best option is to find a Grace Felix. It has built in phantom power and two channels that can be blended as you describe. It can also be setup so that each channel is discrete and you can send separate signals for monitors or front of the house, etc.

Blog Entries

I have a couple of systems depending on what's needed. One is the Art USB 2 Pre which does most situations, runs on phantom power, transformer, or battery.
    This is the manual for that one , https://www.artproaudio.com/framewor...bdualpreps.pdf
    I think mine cost about £90

not tried these yet but on my interested list: https://artproaudio.com/product/tube-mp-studio-v3/ & https://artproaudio.com/product/tubemix/
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

The DPA 4099 actually doesn't require a full 48V phantom power to run. It does require at least 5V. For example, I run my 4099 through my Shure SLX-D14 wireless unit which supplies a 5V bias signal and then that goes into my ToneDexter. I use a ToneDexter because it can handle the mic put also could handle a pickup well if a gig calls for a straight up pickup signal. If I didn't need the pickup as a backup for gigs, I would probably buy a Grace Felix. I see Mark Seale agrees with me on these things, they are incredibly versatile and are great preamps.

Speaking of ToneDexter, if you just want to use a K&K pickup without using a 4099, I would recommend one. They sound pretty darn good with a K&K pickup and I am a tough critic of mandolin pickup tone.

That being said, no pickup is going to replace the sound of a high quality mic like the 4099. I love my tone I get with a 4099 and wouldn't change it for the world.
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

Hey Jake, great advice, thank you.

The SLX-D14 sounds like something I would like to try. I did some reseach and there are a lot of variations. I did not see one with a balanced input. Are you using the lavalier version? Did you need to get a special adapter from DPA?

The Tonedexter is hard to get right now, they have a chip shortage and cannot produce any more until they are resupplied.

The Grace Felix looks great but it is so expensive. What about the radial PZ Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Hey Jake, great advice, thank you.

The SLX-D14 sounds like something I would like to try. I did some reseach and there are a lot of variations. I did not see one with a balanced input. Are you using the lavalier version? Did you need to get a special adapter from DPA?

The Tonedexter is hard to get right now, they have a chip shortage and cannot produce any more until they are resupplied.

The Grace Felix looks great but it is so expensive. What about the radial PZ Pro?
    The SLX-D14 is a great piece of equipment, I've been using it on stage for a better half of this year and have never once had issues with it. The actual model I have is the SLXD14D, which is the same thing as the SLXD14 except with two wireless transmitters (the banjo player and I use it).

The SLX14D will come with a body pack and you will need a MicroDot to TA4F Adapter. MicroDot is what the 4099 uses, TA4F is Shure's 4 pin system. DPA sells this adapter but it is expensive. I suggest this one.

I also noticed a ToneDexter just popped up on the classifieds... If you want to try one there is your shot.

The Felix is expensive, they do make a smaller version but is only good for one input. Not sure about the radial PZ Pro, haven't used one yet!
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Howard View Post
    The DPA 4099 actually doesn't require a full 48V phantom power to run. It does require at least 5V. For example, I run my 4099 through my Shure SLX-D14 wireless unit which supplies a 5V bias signal and then that goes into my ToneDexter. I use a ToneDexter because it can handle the mic put also could handle a pickup well if a gig calls for a straight up pickup signal. If I didn't need the pickup as a backup for gigs, I would probably buy a Grace Felix. I see Mark Seale agrees with me on these things, they are incredibly versatile and are great preamps.

Speaking of ToneDexter, if you just want to use a K&K pickup without using a 4099, I would recommend one. They sound pretty darn good with a K&K pickup and I am a tough critic of mandolin pickup tone.

That being said, no pickup is going to replace the sound of a high quality mic like the 4099. I love my tone I get with a 4099 and wouldn't change it for the world.
    I've run the 4099 as low as 12v, I didn't know it would run on 5v!

To the cost of the Grace Felix, it's a great piece of high quality gear. Buy once, cry once, move on. I've been playing with the same "expensive" 4099 since 2011. The Felix for the past 18 months or so. I use the same gear for both fiddle and mandolin and could not be happier.

Thanks to mark and Jake for their input.

To follow up, I have done some experimenting and found that the Xvive inline phantom power for about $49 works well. I also discovered that the Red Eye did not work well with the 4099 and a phantom power. When I tried to mix the 4099 and the K&K with the red eye the levels were very different. I needed to turn the 4099 all the way up and the K&K all the way down and it just did not work.
    Paul

The RedEye has a lot of volume. You can try to send the RedEye out of the aux instead of the XLR, it may have less volume with the 1/4" input on the board.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

There are various ways to get a great amplified sound (I own / use Grace Felix, ToneDexter ...), but considering what you already own and want to use (RedEye, DPA 4099 - both great pieces of gear) I would highly recommend the Eventide mixing link. Pricey and packed with features you do not need in your specific application, but it will exactly do what you are looking for.
    I tried it with my RedEye and DPA 4061 mic, mandolin is a K&K equipped Collings MF5.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...mp-and-fx-loop
    Ellis F5 Special Deluxe custom
    Anton Krutz F5
    Lawrence Smart H 5 Mandola
    Gibson K 2 Mandocello
    Northfield mahogany arch top Octave Mandolin

guitars, banjo, dobro, weissenborn, pedal steel, fretless bass, upright bass