Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What style am I hearing in my head?

Default What style am I hearing in my head?

I'm a beginner, just learning and relearning. I'm interested in playing songs with tremolo and thinking of music like Jacques Brel's "Marieke" and a sound I associate with French films... what genre is this, and where should I go to study the relevant technique? Thanks in advance...

Default Re: What style am I hearing in my head?

Modern chanson? This is a popular style among accordionists - Edith Piaf songs are standard, for example. I like to play them on accordéon diatonique. Because it typically involves lush chordal accompaniment and polyphonic treatment, accordion is well suited to the style. For mandolins in this style, you might need multiple players to achieve the polyphony.

3. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Yes, this is the style I'm thinking of. For some reason I hear mandolin playing along. Thanks for responding.

Welcome to mandolin CAFE, the thing to do is introduce your self first (we are a friendly lot), and then ask you a question giving as much information as possible to help others who may not know what you're talking about.
    Is this the video you have in mind?

https://youtu.be/jalwU5D8Kag

(this is of course the Internet, and with your first couple of posts people will not know you. This could be spam or some sort of political message you are trying to project, we don't know)
    Welcome!!

6. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

There's no requirement for folks to introduce themselves when they join here that I know of. I didn't see anything even vaguely "spammy" or political about this post and Lssilver seems to have provided a brief introduction in the form of stating that they're a beginner who is learning/relearning, states the type of songs they're interested in playing and lists an example of the sound they're aiming for. With that info Randal was able to suggest a genre that appears to fit, so it seems that enough information was provided by the OP to allow another member to offer a helpful suggestion. I don't see a problem here - am I missing something?
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Welcome, Lasilver! Consider yourself introduced! I've never told people about myself here. (Boring.) I just ask and answer questions.

And yours is a great one. Chanson, of all things! Now I know!
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; Jan-01-2022 at 9:32am.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the very helpful feedback. I live in the Catskill mountains of NY, lots of music here and several friendly picking circles. I love to sing and although I can accompany myself a bit on guitar, I've found myself interested in the sound of the mandolin for these songs. There's lots of bluegrass tutorials and DVDs but I haven't found much for the chanson style, so I went fishing here.
    My grandfather also played mandolin and sang and I may have been feeling nostalgic. Also I met a someone at work named Marieke and now I want to play that song and Sons Of... on mandolin. Actually when I think of it, I think all of those songs (If You Go Away for example) would work.
    Thanks again for the input. I am not a bot. ;-)
    Last edited by Lssilver; Jan-01-2022 at 3:06pm. Reason: Commas

12. The following members say thank you to Lssilver for this post:

Much easier route is to learn about ten fiddle tunes in D and G here, off by heart from Baron:
    https://www.mandolessons.com/lessons...tunes/by-name/

A couple of months later you’ll be set, mandolin will be a part of your life, any tune in D or G you’ll be able to improv with arpeggios etc.
    Have fun!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Café! It's kind of too bad you're not a bot. They're very much under-represented here. Or you could have been programmed to say that ...

I wonder whether the gypsy jazz of Django Reinhardt and others has any appeal for you. It's mostly rather advanced, and guitar-oriented, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are videos of mandolinists interpreting this style. It may be more of something to set as a goal to achieve further on, but that can be helpful There's also David Grisman's exploration of this type of music in the "King Of The Gypsies" soundtrack.

Also, if you go to the Music By Genre area of the forum, there are a couple of sections devoted to various forms of world music. There may well be a treasure trove of what you're looking for there.

Happy hunting and pleasurable playing!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

15. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

There was a Band named Radio Head https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiohead
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

17. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    There's no requirement for folks to introduce themselves when they join here that I know of. I didn't see anything even vaguely "spammy" or political about this post and Lssilver seems to have provided a brief introduction in the form of stating that they're a beginner who is learning/relearning, states the type of songs they're interested in playing and lists an example of the sound they're aiming for. With that info Randal was able to suggest a genre that appears to fit, so it seems that enough information was provided by the OP to allow another member to offer a helpful suggestion. I don't see a problem here - am I missing something?
    Yes.
    (With cyber-bullying it’s usually only the target who is aware of the issue).

Quote Originally Posted by Lssilver View Post
    Yes, this is the style I'm thinking of. For some reason I hear mandolin playing along. Thanks for responding.
    Yes tremolo-ing the melody is always nice.

I share your enjoyment of French film music - have picked up playing bits from various films. Yann Tiersen's score for Amelie is very popular (among accordionists); much of the repertoire of Stephane Delicq seems of this vein; I picked up the idea for playing Satie on accdn after seeing Chocolat, which has blossomed into a rather serious interest. Aside from chanson, lots of bal musette, 'cafe' type is very nice to play and is often found in films. There was a thread here on French folk music some time ago where I dropped suggestions for some easy tunes in this style.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

This is excellent, thank you. I had looked at the various music threads but wasn't sure french folk music was quite it. Should I search on the topic or do you perhaps have a direct link to the thread? I would like to hear your accordion playing on these pieces you mention as well.
    I wonder if there are specific right hand techniques that are in keeping with the style, I'm sure there must be and it would be great to learn them correctly first instead of trying to fix it later. Especially with repetitive movement like tremolo, it seems important.
    I will look up Delicq and also bal musette.

Cosmic Bronycore Nitzhonot?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

This is excellent, thank you. I had looked at the various music threads but wasn't sure french folk music was quite it. Should I search on the topic or do you perhaps have a direct link to the thread? I would like to hear your accordion playing on these pieces you mention as well.
    I wonder if there are specific right hand techniques that are in keeping with the style, I'm sure there must be and it would be great to learn them correctly first instead of trying to fix it later. Especially with repetitive movement like tremolo, it seems important.
    I will look up Delicq and also bal musette.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...k-Fiddle-Tunes

I have this awful tendency of posting one-take videos at the mention of an erstwhile or dormant interest - as was the case for my vid: I hadn't played the box for some months or a year prior to reading that thread and playing Sous les toits de la rue Tiquetonne (Now however I am back into accordions, but mostly Brazilian forro, chamame, cumbia and so forth...)

Re technique: learn the basics, properly, then apply to whatever style of music of interest.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jan-01-2022 at 7:42pm.

24. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Prbly easier for mndln are the faster tempos - there are plenty of styles. Prbly what you like or maybe how natural does rhythm come for you, might be what you play.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Yes.
    (With cyber-bullying it’s usually only the target who is aware of the issue).
    Are you accusing me of cyber-bullying because I have a different viewpoint from yours?
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Welcome to mandolin CAFE, the thing to do is introduce your self first (we are a friendly lot), and then ask you a question giving as much information as possible to help others who may not know what you're talking about.
    Is this the video you have in mind?

https://youtu.be/jalwU5D8Kag

(this is of course the Internet, and with your first couple of posts people will not know you. This could be spam or some sort of political message you are trying to project, we don't know)
    Welcome!!
    Im sorry, spam? Political message? New poster rules? Bullying?

Are you serious?

Or are YOU the bot....???

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

Sorry Jill (and thanks), I should have used more words.
    I meant, yes you have missed something, though it’s nothing negative against you for not knowing. It’s not even necessarily a criticism of the original poster.
    As I said with cyber-bullying it’s usually only the target who is aware of the issue.
    Back to the tunes.

I'm a beginner, just learning and relearning. I'm interested in playing songs with tremolo and thinking of music like Jacques Brel's "Marieke" and a sound I associate with French films... what genre is this, and where should I go to study the relevant technique? Thanks in advance...
    Any of the older mandolin method books would work, since that's pretty much European style and somewhat based on Italian mandolin.

https://imslp.org/wiki/M%C3%A9thode_...Ferdinando_de)

https://www.mandoisland.de/noten2010...l#.WoRM-ecxnIU

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...rapertosa-Fils

33. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Here are some Flemish tunes.
    https://www.allmusic.com/album/unfol...s-mw0003019069
    There are plenty of Medieval French, Belgium, Dutch and German tunes too.
    I think I posted a collection of Belgium .abc’s here at one time.
    Search for medieval or is it the ‘Tala’ collection from JeffD?

Thanks to all for the wonderful and varied resources!

Am lucky in that there is a great local (to me) band that does a lot of this style of music, Cafe Accordion Orchestra.

Here's a tune with Eric Mohring on mandolin -
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

I'm ready to get the chip implanted if it could let me play like that... and speak fluent Italian. I know, I know, there's also practice.

My very favorite French chanteusse (I think that's the right translation of female singer) is Mireille Mathieu. She does a number of songs that certainly work for accordion accompaniment, but I think some could be worked on on the mandolin--maybe along with some other instruments. Also, for what it's worth, there is a scene in an Alpine village at the beginning of The Pink Panther movie where Fran Jeffries sings a song both in Italian and English that is great for accordion but might work for some speedy mandolin riffs. I don't recall the name of the song, but I know there is a line that is something like this: "If you're ever going to kiss me, it had better be tonight; for the mandolins are playing, and stars are bright." My apologies for any mistakes I've made either in quoting the song line or my attempt at a French word; at 75, things don't come into my head quite as quickly as they used to!
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Dog Dave For This Useful Post: