Thread: 5 Thoughts On The Right Hand And Fast Picking

Default 5 Thoughts On The Right Hand And Fast Picking

Just a quick video I made for the start of the new year on the right hand and working up speed.

If you have any burning mandolin questions let me know, i want this new video series to be helping to people looking to improve their playing!
    Last edited by Jake Howard; Jan-01-2022 at 2:00pm.
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jake Howard For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: 5 Thoughts On The Right Hand And Fast Picking

That was wonderful! Thank you for the tips.

My mandolin related question is, how can I make chords more interesting? Thanks in advance
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    That was wonderful! Thank you for the tips.

My mandolin related question is, how can I make chords more interesting? Thanks in advance
    Are we talking in the bluegrass realm of things?
    Mandolinist for Henhouse Prowlers and Westbound Situation

https://www.youtube.com/c/JakeHoward

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Yes. I guess I could have clarified.

Yes, in a more bluegrass, country, folk setting. How to add more color and movement to basic songs (as these can get boring in big circle jams) while still chopping the rhythm.

Thanks for the video--I enjoyed that. I'd be interested in some basics on tremolo. Like right hand technique/speed/pattern, how to transition in and out of it, etc. I think I have a pretty good idea of the left-hand double stops to use, but I'm sure there's lots to learn on that too.

Cheers,
    Z
    Member since 2003!

Two things I've noticed over the last year as I've tried to increase my speed using some exercises from Chris Henry. I've definitely improved, but there are still major speed limits, both in overall speed and what kinds of things I can do on a mandolin at higher speeds.

1. In many cases the limiting factor is more in my left hand than my right. The right hand seems like the place where all the secrets to speed lie, but it really might be your left hand.

2. The thing that always trips me up is note-y stuff that involves crossing strings, which is partially a left-hand thing but also sometimes my right-hand just freezes up. I wish it would not do that

3. For me, playing fast often means having to simplify, which is frustrating, but is one hack you can employ if you simply need to play something and it has to be at a certain speed. For example, my band recently started doing Balsam Range's "Blue Collar Dreams" in A. I figured out the mando kick and transposed it down from B , where it was recorded on the album, pretty quickly, but I can only do it at about 75% of the speed on the recording. So, I simplified it down to a lot of tremoloed double stops and some short 4 note connecting phrases. Not as cool sounding, but it works and I can do it at about 95% the speed of the recording. Sometimes you just have to work within your limitations.

4. I feel like there is this place between straight tremolo and more straight-forward DUDU 8th note picking where the right hand is constantly in motion and just hovering over the strings. Really fast, clean, and note-y 16th note playing kind of stuff. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get into that place.