Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you take your best or most valuable mandolin to gigs?

Default Do you take your best or most valuable mandolin to gigs?

Just wondering, particularly of pro and semi-pro musicians here: Do you take your best or most valuable mandolin to gigs, or do you have a workhorse instrument that's 'good enough' to play in public? Let's assume normal style gigs, not outside in the snow or sun or roughhouse bars without a bottle screen

Default Re: Do you take your best or most valuable mandolin to gigs?

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    Just wondering, particularly of pro and semi-pro musicians here: Do you take your best or most valuable mandolin to gigs, or do you have a workhorse instrument that's 'good enough' to play in public? Let's assume normal style gigs, not outside in the snow or sun or roughhouse bars without a bottle screen
    I’ve always been of the mindset that I buy the thing to play, so I’m gonna play it. But I’m also not bothered by character marks or dings either.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MandoManCaleb For This Useful Post:

For me to be happy with my playing and the gig, I want to take my best sounding and playing instrument. It might not be the most valuable or beautiful mandolin that I own. I have been severely disappointed after a gig when I played a lesser instrument. There are many of the best mandolin players in the world that take their #1 mandolin to their gigs. That's how they get their sound. And usually those instruments show wear and tear from gigging or just playing it all the time. That is what it's all about.

But to answer your question specifically, currently I play a Northfield Big Mon for all my gigs and traveling. And I have a stunning Gibson Fern GoldRush that will never leave my house.

5. The following members say thank you to Nashville for this post:

maxr 

Yes indeed!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I take my best to gigs as well as jams -- it is my main playing mandolin. I have a pretty decent backup mandolin that I'll use for riskier weather, venue or travel situations, and I'm glad to have it. But I vastly prefer playing my main playing mandolin whenever I can.

Keep in mind, my main playing mandolin retailed for around $4K in 2002 and I got it used for significantly less than that, so it's not like I'm talking about a $10K-$20K (or more) mandolin. (And FWIW, I bought my backup mandolin brand new on a blowout sale for $199; it had formerly retailed for just under $1K.)

There are a few things I've done with both of my mandolins to help them stay fresh and not so worn out, and some of those things may improve how they sound... I use a ToneGard, an armrest and a pick guard on both of my mandolins. And on my main-playing mandolin I also have Gold Evo frets and a speed neck, and I've upgraded to a James tailpiece.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

9. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

maxr 

Me too. Why take and inferior instrument to a gig. I want to play the instrument I enjoy playing most and sounds best. Yes it shows as I play in many not so great environments, but as others have said, "I bought it to play".
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

11. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

maxr 

Blog Entries

More of the same here…

Back when I was playing lots of local and/or regional gigs I used my nicest/priciest mandolin for just about everything. For a while it was the only one I owned so I didn’t have a choice.

Over time and after lots of instrument trades I eventually got to the point of having a fancy pants mandolin and a much less expensive one. Fancy pants goes just about everywhere with me, except camping or parties. I haven’t done much camping lately and avoid the types of parties where an instrument may get damaged, so it’s mostly fancy pants everywhere these days.

13. The following members say thank you to Kevin Briggs for this post:

maxr 

Depends on where I'm going. To play at church, yes. At jams, not usually (but I take the #2 instrument.) I rarely take out the one I take on vacation/travel with.

15. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

maxr 

i use my best one, not just for gigs but for pub sessions where all sorts of mayhem can happen.
    It's not my most expensive, it was only a few hundred quid, but it's irreplaceable, so is most valuable.
    Bren

17. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

maxr 

Resident Hack

Hell yes!

I only have the one real mandolin and I take it everywhere I want to play except vacation (fear of theft and transport mishaps). Next vacation is a plane trip and I won't be staying in a hotel, so I expect this to change to yes too.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

19. The following members say thank you to Mitch Stein for this post:

maxr 

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Yes, because I want to sound the best that I can.
    Living’ in the Mitten

21. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

maxr 

My best is my acoustic instrument, so any acoustic gig it's the one i use. I have a bridge mic on my second-best, and that's the one i use when i'm powering up.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

23. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

maxr 

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

We'll get into the tall weeds really quick if I try to differentiate between best and best-sounding. But cost considerations are easier to define. I would never take my most expensive instrument to a gig - not the kinds of places I play and the amount of drinking that audience members undertake there. I just got the blessed F-4 half a year ago, for goodness' sake. I want to take care she doesn't get roughed up. But I will take, with no reservations, either of my plain As. They're seasoned warriors and in no way collectors' items (until I become famous, that is ). Also, they are both modified, with Fishman bridge pickups wired to 1/4" endpin jacks for easy amplification. I doubt I will ever do that to either the F-4 or the A-4, the second-most expensive instrument in my collection - not that they're museum-quality, but I don't think it's right or necessary to cross that line. In any event, I still prefer the sound of the plain As to either of the pricier ones. Burying the lead a bit here, but they are my best-sounding instruments, to my ears, so that's what I'll use. And I am fine with that. So fine.

Maybe someday, if I ever play in a concert setting, acoustically miked, that may be different. It will also help greatly if my luthier can tweak the set-up on the snazzy ones to the point of them sounding as good as the As. I hope so (and I hope the As aren't eavesdropping), as that was a good part of why I shelled out as much for them as I did - looking to sound my best. I did use the F-4 for the lead work on one song on my latest recording project. Safe environment, why not? Besides, I need to justify the expense. Can't just own it and not use it!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

25. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

maxr 

I do not have the means to collect instruments that I don't play, every one I buy is to play. "Best" is subjective, though. I try to match the demands and expectations of the music and musicians at hand. My Eastman oval hole mandolin is better suited to certain applications than either of the hand built f hole mandolins I own are. It is hardly "better". Of course a Loar era F4 would do the same thing as the Eastman better and if I owned one I'd probably use it instead. The same for guitars and banjos I own. If one instrument is "best" in all situations then I wouldn't be able to honestly tell my significant other that I "have" to have this other mandolin or guitar.

27. The following members say thank you to Scott Rucker for this post:

maxr 

I've always played all of my "best" instruments live, whether that's at sessions, gigs, or busking - to me instruments are to be played and as such they'll likely accumulate some honest wear, and that's fine with me.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

29. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

maxr 

Not mndln, but I used to gig a lot on a garden variety Yamaha A/E guitar, rather than my vintage flamenco. Since I was going through an amp in a large room, it was efficacious.

Laurindo Almeida tells how he used to have "rooms-full" of guitars - but eventually eschewed them all for a Takamine E-90.

31. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

maxr 

Yes.

(like everyone else I'll add some caveats...)

I play in a Bluegrass Band. If we're playing on stage, with a (single) mic, I'll take my most valuable mandolin. It's been to many bars, festivals, farmers markets, weddings, etc. If we're just busking on the street in Portland I'll take a less valuable mandolin - not because of concerns about damage, etc. - because one of my less valuable mandolins is the loudest (and without the mic I'm competing with a banjo, fiddle, and our really loud guitar player).

Kirk

33. The following members say thank you to tiltman for this post:

maxr 

Well, of course, kinda.

"Best" for each gig is often not my "most valuable" mandolin. In fact, my workhorse mandolin, the one I sound best on for most styles (a Rigel R-100), is the one I paid the least for.

Same is true for my electrics – the one I sound best on (an old modified single-pickup Schwab) was the cheapest.

It was when that thread about selling 'em all and which one would you keep was trending that I realized my potentially convenient financial outcome.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

35. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

maxr 

Alden, Minnesota, 12 miles west of where I-90 and I-35 cross in Southern, Minnesota

I almost always take my best one. If it's a vacation trip, then I'll take a lesser instrument. Like others have said, I bought it to play, not to keep pristine.
    "Put your hands to the wood
    Touch the music put there by the summer sun and wind
    The rhythms of the rain, locked within the rings
    And let your fingers find The Music in the Wood."
    Joe Grant and Al Parrish (chorus from The Music in the Wood)

37. The following members say thank you to David Rambo for this post:

maxr 

Yes. But none of my instruments are worth that much money. Now, I would not take the Northfield to play outdoors in below zero (F) weather. That's the job of the Strad-O-Lin. (Unless MAS hits hard and I get another flat-top).

As for guitars, have downgraded in the past few years to less expensive instruments that still do what is needed, so yes, in that case I would take my most valuable to a gig. (2021 Martin 000-15 Streetmaster).
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

39. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

maxr 

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

My best mandolin is the same one many gigging musicians would use as a beater to throw into an overhead compartment or leave outside unattended in a folding chair.

41. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Funny enough, my worst mandolin is the one that hangs on my wall as it's signed by a bunch of folks. My other 2 are played pretty often - though my Newson (the "best" or more expensive) goes with me everywhere. My backup, (Gibson F9) is just that - a good backup for when I have to fix my other mandolin. I have 2 electrics that I don't generally play out - but only because I don't play the style they'd need right now.

If you didn't take your "best" or "most valuable" mandolin to a gig, why did you buy it in the first place?
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbruno For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mbruno View Post
    If you didn't take your "best" or "most valuable" mandolin to a gig, why did you buy it in the first place?
    Maybe you bought it to record?
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

45. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

maxr 

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Yes.

But a lesson learned is to keep it in your case and the case locked. I once had a theatre gig. I was playing music to entertain the theatre goers in an intermission from a play. I played my old guitar. I was able to see the play and was offered to store the guitar in an office. When I retrieved my guitar I found that it had been at least taken out of the case by someone. How do I know? I cover the guitar with a piece of cloth in a certain way. The piece of cloth was put back wrong. Also the pick that I played with was missing. I was deeply agravated. I practically never leave my instruments out of sight anymore (except when I am in places where I know everybody feels like I do; they exist).
    Olaf

47. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

maxr 

Always play my best one for a gig, unless I need to amplify - then I use my best one with a pickup. For jams at friends' homes, I usually bring two, so that eventually all my mandolins feel some communal love. When I travel and am not camping, it depends, but often take my best. I haven't busked outdoors in ages, but have a carbon fiber mandolin for weather extremes or camping.

49. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

maxr