Thread: Plectrums

Question Plectrums

So, I'm working on learning the Italian/classical style of mandolin (Mine is the Musikalia 606 Mandolin), which is proving very difficult due to the limited amount of resources. I have purchased two sets of Galli plectra, made for the Neapolitan mandolin. One set was 0.70mm, and the other 1mm. However, they seem to be much too thin and the celluloid wears away extremely quickly. In essence, my questions summarized:
    1. Why does my playing sound buzzy? Specifically on the G and D strings. Is this caused by my technique, positioning of bridge and strings, or solely the thickness of the plectrum?
    2. What plectra do you use for classical playing? What thickness is preferred for Italian style? And where can they be obtained?

Thank you!

2. The following members say thank you to SignorNic for this post:

Default Re: Plectrums

Quote Originally Posted by SignorNic View Post
    [*]Why does my playing sound buzzy? Specifically on the G and D strings. Is this caused by my technique, positioning of bridge and strings, or solely the thickness of the plectrum?[*]What plectra do you use for classical playing? What thickness is preferred for Italian style? And where can they be obtained?[*]

Thank you!
    Buzzing sounds can be caused by a number of things. Have you checked for any loose windings on the strings? also check the bridge, nut, frets themselves - and be accurate in how you fret the strings, with enough pressure (but not too much!) to get a clean tone.

I use a variety of .7 to 1 mm stiff sharp plectra for mandolin, and right now I mostly use a Dunlop Ultex .73mm sharp.

They are stiff and that matters a lot. I find the Galli a bit soft.

Other folks will use other types of picks, some even use those long "Roman" style picks for Italian music.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Doubtless, this is more than you want to know, but it is worth watching Ralf Leenen describe various pick styles and weights.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Bartl For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I am using the same .73"s suggested by DavidKOS when playing classical and some show tunes on my bowlback. I started using them just last week when he recommended them on another thread. I like them. However they definitely would not do on my other mandolins when typically playing classic country honky-tonk, western swing, or rockabilly.
    They do feel thin but stiff enough for tremolo which I incorporate in my playing a lot. They seem to require a light touch and do not put a death grip on the pick. Especially when playing tremolo.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pittsburgh Bill For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    I am using the same .73"s suggested by DavidKOS when playing classical and some show tunes on my bowlback. I started using them just last week when he recommended them on another thread. I like them. However they definitely would not do on my other mandolins when typically playing classic country honky-tonk, western swing, or rockabilly.
    They do feel thin but stiff enough for tremolo which I incorporate in my playing a lot. They seem to require a light touch and do not put a death grip on the pick. Especially when playing tremolo.
    Yup - these may not work well on other types of mandolin nor for other genres of mandolin music...but if you don't use a "death grip" these picks can be very expressive and easy to use.

They also wear very slowly and are fairly inexpensive.

10. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    Doubtless, this is more than you want to know, but it is worth watching Ralf Leenen describe various pick styles and weights.
    Interesting video - lots of varieties of picks indeed - but not the one I suggested, although i think I see a Clayton standard Ultem pick on the table.

12. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Cjam 

Smile Re: Plectrums

Ah, so you really only need .7 to 1mm picks? So I assume my tremolo (I have a ton of trouble/can't do it on the G and D strings) just needs more practice and technique. Is there something about the tremolo that I should know? Do I need to only brush the top of the strings?
    Also, how should the pick be positioned relative to the strings? Should it be parallel to them, or can it be at a slight downward angle (I've noticed the pick wearing only in one spot)?

Sorry to bother you with more questions, but thank you all so much for responding! You've helped me a lot!

14. The following members say thank you to SignorNic for this post:

Ah, so you really only need .7 to 1mm picks? So I assume my tremolo (I have a ton of trouble/can't do it on the G and D strings) just needs more practice and technique. Is there something about the tremolo that I should know? Do I need to only brush the top of the strings?
    Also, how should the pick be positioned relative to the strings? Should it be parallel to them, or can it be at a slight downward angle (I've noticed the pick wearing only in one spot)?

Sorry to bother you with more questions, but thank you all so much for responding! You've helped me a lot!
    It's not a bother at all!

First, there is more than one way to choose, hold and use a mandolin pick. I can only speak for what works for me; those coming from, say, the German classical school of mandolin would use different picks and techniques.

I also am referring to short-scale mandolins with very light strings, not F models with long scales and thick strings.

"Ah, so you really only need .7 to 1mm picks?"

For me, yes. But they have to be very stiff material to work well and have a somewhat sharp tip, not a rounded one.

"I assume my tremolo (I have a ton of trouble/can't do it on the G and D strings) just needs more practice and technique. "

Typically, yes, focused practice will help your tremolo.

"Is there something about the tremolo that I should know? Do I need to only brush the top of the strings? "

I actually pluck the string a small amount, rather than brushing over the string pair as is common with a large thick round pick. I also move the right hand to play in various places, including closer and further from the bridge, for tone color.

The right hand is free floating, no anchor on the bridge nor planted pinky.

"Also, how should the pick be positioned relative to the strings? Should it be parallel to them, or can it be at a slight downward angle (I've noticed the pick wearing only in one spot)?"

Well, I'll do both depending on what I'm playing, as the slight angle differences make for more precise picking depending on the strings and position on the neck.

I don't use the "fist grip" seen so often among mandolinists, but rather a somewhat more open hand position that allows some use of the muscles of the 1st finger and thumb to alter the angle of the pick and even to do small movements including tremolo.

This is more like the way I hold the pick:

I do NOT use this common grip as it is not flexible enough and does not allow for the use of the 1st finger and thumb as does the previous grip:

Additionally, the above also shows the hand hitting the bridge which is to be avoided.
    Last edited by DavidKOS; Jan-07-2022 at 8:32am.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SignorNic, seems to me that finding a teacher familiar with the various international schools of thought on mandolin technique might be helpful to you. (Not an advertisement; I'm not presently taking students.) I think you've been getting excellent advice in this thread, although I would add that the Dogal PM2 (or PM3) pick is a real standard among Italian classical players. You can find it over at Strings and Beyond.

I use a pick very similar to the Dogal (pointy Neapolitan shape, and .7mm, give or take) on all mandolins, although the heavier tension of most archtop-style designs does require a bit more thickness. It takes serious work on the right hand, but all the best tone and projection is there, waiting for you!
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to August Watters For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by August Watters View Post
    SignorNic, seems to me that finding a teacher familiar with the various international schools of thought on mandolin technique might be helpful to you.
    And I suggest getting Mr. Watters' book:

https://berkleepress.com/strings/exp...ical-mandolin/

Quote Originally Posted by August Watters View Post
    I would add that the Dogal PM2 (or PM3) pick is a real standard among Italian classical players. You can find it over at Strings and Beyond.
    )
    I have used these and other similar picks...i just wound up using the wider sharp picks on guitar and mandolin...they worked well for me...but the shape of the Dogals is a "standard" Neapolitan pick.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Thank you! All these picks look great and I will definitely keep them in mind, and probably buy them later.
    I've become aware of some possible teachers or people who could refer me to some in my area, so I'm working on that as well.
    I'll make sure continue practicing as well.

Again, thank you, this thread has been a great help!

22. The following members say thank you to SignorNic for this post:

Thank you! All these picks look great and I will definitely keep them in mind, and probably buy them later.
    I've become aware of some possible teachers or people who could refer me to some in my area, so I'm working on that as well.
    I'll make sure continue practicing as well.

Again, thank you, this thread has been a great help!
    I'm happy to help in any way.

Good luck with the mandolin teachers; just make sure they can teach you the Italian/classical style you want to learn.