Thread: Best strings for magnetic pickup mandolin?

Default Best strings for magnetic pickup mandolin?

What strings do you find give the strongest magnetic pickup reponse from a solid mandolin with magnetic pickups? I'm happy to buy and cut electric guitar strings if they work better. This is for a typical inexpensive Chinese made two pickup design with fairly weak stock pickups.

Default Re: Best strings for magnetic pickup mandolin?

Mine came with generic steel strings, but I swapped them out for D'Addario Chrome Flatwounds and never looked back.
    Monte

Northfield F2S
    Weber Yellowstone Octave F

3. The following members say thank you to Monte Barnett for this post:

maxr 

You may want to check out emando.com

5. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

maxr 

I haven't actually tried them with a magnetic pickup, but the Galli flatwound set is reasonably priced at Hobgoblin and is sold as an electric mandolin set. I like the set I have on my old Harmony, they mellowed out the lower strings nicely. Or Newtone offer all their sets in nickel plated steel, which should be good with a magnetic pickup.

7. The following members say thank you to Martin Beer for this post:

maxr 

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Beer View Post
    I haven't actually tried them with a magnetic pickup, but the Galli flatwound set is reasonably priced at Hobgoblin and is sold as an electric mandolin set. I like the set I have on my old Harmony, they mellowed out the lower strings nicely. Or Newtone offer all their sets in nickel plated steel, which should be good with a magnetic pickup.
    Some of the strings recommended for magnetic pickup mandos have regular-ish E and A string gauges but light gauge Ds and Gs compared to acoiustic sets - the Galli set appears to follow that. I wonder whether that's because the wound Ds and Gs tend to overpower the plain A and E if you follow acoustic string gauges, or just because, with a solid electric mando, you can?

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    Some of the strings recommended for magnetic pickup mandos have regular-ish E and A string gauges but light gauge Ds and Gs compared to acoiustic sets - the Galli set appears to follow that. I wonder whether that's because the wound Ds and Gs tend to overpower the plain A and E if you follow acoustic string gauges, or just because, with a solid electric mando, you can?
    Pickup height can be adjusted, sometimes also pole piece height too, to balance the sound somewhat. A larger string will be louder given the same adjustments. I would say all sets will have a plain E string, which should be the same volume for the same gauge, no matter the brand. If you want louder get a heavier set of strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Flatwound strings often have slightly higher tension than a roundwound of the same gauge (with some exceptions like Thomastik). So the lighter gauges on the G and D of the Galli set might just be to keep the tension appropriate across the set. It's possible that they may have chosen the gauges for string to string balance with a magnetic pickup, though they don't seem unbalanced when used on an acoustic mandolin, IMO.

11. The following members say thank you to Martin Beer for this post:

maxr 

there is a steel core even in bronze wound strings, but better if the winding is seen in the magnetic field, also.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

13. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

maxr