Thread: HOGO's prints

Default HOGO's prints

Ok, it is time for me to get a bit more serious and get something built from these prints. I have Hogo's prints and using an incur rule that measures to 32nds the dimensions printed on the prints first page headstock measure exactly what they say they should be. Will a printer be able to match a sacrificial copy exactly to the dimensions? I plan to take my rule with me to double check but I don't want to waste my money on a couple copies I can cut up and glue to the materials I plan to cut for jigs. Thanks!

I thought about just using some clear lean or plastic of some kind and tracing them but I wondered about aligning them properly and getting errors from not being perfectly vertical to the print underneath. Any suggestions welcome! I do not want to cut up these originals, too expensive for that and I want to frame them for the shop wall.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Default Re: HOGO's prints

Well I got a few copies and am glueing them on some clear plexi or pecan whatever it is. I forget off the top of my head. I’ll cut and match them to the originals as I go just incase. Wish me luck!

Good luck
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

4. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Few thoughts....
    Copiers (and thus scanners) have tendency to keep one dimension exact (or very close to exact) - the one across the laser sensor which is fixed size while the other one (along the movable axis) can be longer or shorter depending on your hardware. In some odd cases the dimension deformation will not be evenly spread but some parts of teh lenght will be shrunk while other parts lengthened. This is oftencase of older scanners with deformed belts.
    If you want to do a sacrifical copies I'd recomment doing it in smaller parts (smaller copiers will have smaller error) or on industrial scanner. My old Canon A3 format scanner can have the lid removed so you can scan any part of drawing without folding them. It is best to scan a precise ruler first (or along the print) so you can measure how much distortion there is. If you scan to file and adjust siye to real in software like Photoshop you can later print few more sacrifical copies of the same (I do it instead of using templates for headstocks or fingerboards). If you find out how precise your printer is you can also adjust for that before printing more.
    OTOH, don't just take the numbers on the prints as given, some of the dimensions were just rounded to closest 32th or 16th as was judged practical for average Loar dimension. The drawing will be close to that but not exact match.
    The printing process as well as paper isn't 100% stable as well so your print may differ by a tiny bit from another stored in different environment even though they left the printing machine same.
    Adrian

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

I had a local print shop do it. I think everything is within a 64th. I will know more once I get it glues onto the clear stuff and start cutting it out. I am just using it to get in the ballpark and matching it to the original prints. I figure for my needs this should be well within any acceptable error. Thanks!

Adrian's plans are top of the line for a Loar build.