Thread: String identification

Default String identification

Hi

I wonder if anyone can tell me more about the string set that was on my mandolin when I got it, seller was not sure.

The mandolin is an old A-style of Swedish make.

The strings are flatwound, wound g, d and a, plain e. Stainless or similar and with black thread on the windings on the headstock end.

Somewhat lighter than daddario's efw medium set. Also the windings are thin, thinner bands than daddario and almost imperceptible on the a string. Very very playable, bit mellow but musical. If possible want to get a set like them. Thomastik? Other?
    Loop ends

Thanks

J

Default Re: String identification

They are a fairly 'fresh' set so probably changed in recent years (not a crusty ancient set)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldinman View Post
    Hi

I wonder if anyone can tell me more about the string set that was on my mandolin when I got it, seller was not sure.

The mandolin is an old A-style of Swedish make.

The strings are flatwound, wound g, d and a, plain e. Stainless or similar and with black thread on the windings on the headstock end.

Somewhat lighter than daddario's efw medium set. Also the windings are thin, thinner bands than daddario and almost imperceptible on the a string. Very very playable, bit mellow but musical. If possible want to get a set like them. Thomastik? Other?
    Loop ends

Thanks

J
    The only mandolin set with which I am familiar which I am familiar which feature a wound- "A" string are Tomastiks. they also feature the thread windings.
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

4. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

Thank you, that is really helpful. It's hard to find pictures for comparison online. On the wound A-string, found sets by a brand called Fisoma that also has the wound A, if interesting.
    Thanks again

6. The following members say thank you to Oldinman for this post:

Thomastiks have black winding on both ends, tailpiece and headstock—probably what you have. Your description of them, "Very very playable, bit mellow but musical," is spot-on for Thomastiks.

8. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Blog Entries

Flat wound Dogal Calace strings have Black thread with a gold highlight thread in the wrap.
    I think they only do the HR half round strings now which I think also have black thread.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

10. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Cheers! Yes, must have forgotten the black winding was on both ends. Will try those. Thank you!