Thread: Good source of French Canadian fiddle tunes?

Default Good source of French Canadian fiddle tunes?

Can anyone recommend a good source of French Canadian fiddle tunes? I'm thinking of the kind of driving reels and jigs you hear on Vent Du Nord CDs. I've got an amplified foot stomp (Podorythmie) board and want to eventually get that together with my fiddle and mandolin playing.

Thanks, Max

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dick Dery For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Good source of French Canadian fiddle tunes?

Mel Bay has a tune book of Quebec tunes called Danse Ce Soir by Laurie Hart and Greg Sandell. Also, check out Lisa Ornstein a fiddler and scholar specializing in Quebec's traditional musicl: http://www.lisaornstein.com/ . I'm a big fan of Prince Edward Island Acadian fiddlers. Ken Perlman"s The Fiddle Music of Prince Edward Island has many Acadian tunes with recordings (also by Mel Bay). Search YouTube for "Gadelle" to hear PEI Acadian music.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

maxrSimon DS 

Search for the free Montreal session book on internet. Also Alf Warnock’s free Tunebook.

7. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

maxr 

All the other books above are excellent. In addition there is the encyclopedic 1000 Aires compiled by Olivier Demers a member of Le Vent du Nord. Available here: https://espaceparallele.ca/en/produc...quebec-tome-1/

You didn’t say whether you were looking for notated sources or recordings or videos. Lots of great videos on YouTube by fiddlers and accordionists including some instructional ones by Pascal Gemme, André Brunet, etc.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: