Thread: Bouzouki tunes for Ali Beag MacLeod

Default Bouzouki tunes for Ali Beag MacLeod

It's coming up for a year since my dear pal Ali Beag MacLeod left us, and such a duller place without his wonderful wit, presence, knowledge and Gaelic musicality. A few waltzes for his memory, with his own Achnahaird at the start.

And a couple of fine Irish jigs gleaned from the Mayo melodeon maestro, my dear friend Mary Staunton. Remembering the great times with Alec Finn.

Kevin HJ Macleod

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Bouzouki tunes for Ali Beag MacLeod

Kevin, so sad to hear that Ali Beag had passed away almost a year ago. He was a lovely man and you and he must have been so very close. I will always remember that Friday evening a few years ago in your Kitchen up in Achiltibuie during the Summer Isles Festival with you, Tim, Ali, Murdo and Donaidh McLeod from Stornoway, Dagger and the Chinese professor who was so keen to play Scottish music. A magical evening, and Ali signed a copy of his tune book for me which I had in my guitar case.

Great sound from your bouzouki in those videos (and fine playing), and a good New Year to you with hopes of some more live playing.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

5. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Kelly View Post
    Kevin, so sad to hear that Ali Beag had passed away almost a year ago. He was a lovely man and you and he must have been so very close. I will always remember that Friday evening a few years ago in your Kitchen up in Achiltibuie during the Summer Isles Festival with you, Tim, Ali, Murdo and Donaidh McLeod from Stornoway, Dagger and the Chinese professor who was so keen to play Scottish music. A magical evening, and Ali signed a copy of his tune book for me which I had in my guitar case.

Great sound from your bouzouki in those videos (and fine playing), and a good New Year to you with hopes of some more live playing.
    Yes, Ali Beag leaves a giant, unfillable gap in the Gaelic world up in Coigach, and with him and my late father's passing, virtually all vernacular conversational indigenous Gaelic has ceased. So sad after centuries. But we keep his music in our blood, and he his remembered with great fondness always.

I hope you keep well and cheery in this ongoing tedious pandemic? Hardly played a note, and The Occasionals are virtually defunct, with the collapse of Scottish ceilidh dances. Maybe we'll get some ceilidhs this year, who knows!

That was a great weekend! So good we didi those sessions!

Cheers, Kevin

7. The following members say thank you to kmmando for this post:

Happy New Year!

Nice music Kevin. Good ring off that bouzouki.

I do remember that Achiltibuie kitchen ceilidh well. I'm afraid your comments about indigenous Gaelic are all too true. Dear Ali is indeed remembered fondly.

Luckily I have managed to get some gigs this year, including some dances. I finished off the year with a non-dancing gig at Hogmanay with Duncan MacGillivray in Ullapool.
    Last edited by Dagger Gordon; Jan-06-2022 at 3:26am. Reason: wishing Happy New Year
    David A. Gordon

9. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Very sorry to hear that Ali Beag passed on a year ago – I haven't been keeping up. I'm due a listen to The Braes of Badentarbat (which I love).

11. The following members say thank you to whistler for this post:

Thanks, and I'm glad you like that cd - it's rather special to me on so many levels. Cheers!

I'm glad you like that cd - it's rather special to me on so many levels. Cheers!
    Even never having met Ali Beag (I have met you briefly a couple of times), it has something special – hard to put into words, but it somehow seems a very genuine expression of the place it comes from.

...And re your clips above: Lovely tunes. Thank you for reminding me of that second jig – great fun to play!

Do you happen to know its name? The second short jig?

Cheers! Hope to meet again sometime!

best Kevin

Just chipping in to say that both videos are tremendously well-rendered versions of the tunes. As you'll probably guess, Kevin, I find myself drawn to the set of jigs. King Of The Pipers is a great tune (and a bit of a workout :-) ).

Big round of applause from South East London. Hope you can hear it all the way up in Edinburgh!

Aidan

16. The following members say thank you to Aidan Crossey for this post:

Thanks Aidan, and I hope things go weel down South there!

best wishes

Kevin