Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Newbee looking for info

Default Total Newbee looking for info

Hi All:

I am looking for my first mandolin. I have been a guitar player for over 50 years and have always wanted to learn to play the mandolin. I'm looking to spend no more than $200 and have some questions if you could kindly answer them:

1. "F" vs. "A" style - Is there a real major difference between the two? Is one preferred over the other?

2. Acoustic or Acoustic Electric - Since I may eventually perform, should I think about getting an acoustic-electric? Does it effect the sound quality? Or should I just consider an add-on pick-up if I decide later that I need one?

3. Recommended instrument - I'm willing to buy new or used. Can you recommend instruments in my price range?

4. Set-up - How can a get a copy of Rob's book on set-up?

Thanks so much.

Mike G. in Wayne, NJ

Default Re: Total Newbee looking for info

Playing guitar for over 50 years and you perform… Do you play a $200 guitar? The reason I ask is I wonder whether you would like a beginner’s level instrument. At that price point even used you may only be able to find a laminated wood mandolin. I don’t think you would like the quality of a mandolin in that price range. You might do consider waiting to get some cash together to afford a better quality mandolin.

In any case, look for an A model. Otherwise you will just be paying more for cosmetics rather than sound.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by misterg16 View Post
    Hi All:

...I'm looking to spend no more than $200 and have some questions if you could kindly answer them:

1. "F" vs. "A" style - Is there a real major difference between the two? Is one preferred over the other?
    Major differences are cost and appearance; it takes extra work to carve the scroll etc., which is reflected in a higher price for equivalent quality. Sound is not affected (at least that's the consensus) by the extra wood around the rim. You're projecting a very limited budget, so stick to A-style; more bang for your bucks.

2. Acoustic or Acoustic Electric - Since I may eventually perform, should I think about getting an acoustic-electric? Does it effect the sound quality? Or should I just consider an add-on pick-up if I decide later that I need one?
    Somewhat similar answer to your first question -- with the additional complication that there are two main kinds of "acoustic electric" mandolins: those with magnetic pickups, and those with piezo pickups. The latter sound more like acoustic mandolins than the former. With what you're planning to spend, I'd buy an acoustic instrument, and think about adding a piezo pickup later, since you're not certain ("may eventually perform") that you're going to be gigging with it. (Parenthetically, I'd guess that if you do, you would want, and need, a better mandolin to perform with.)

3. Recommended instrument - I'm willing to buy new or used. Can you recommend instruments in my price range?
    You've set the bar in a difficult position: a decent learner instrument for $200. Instrument Alley, an on-line dealer with a somewhat problematical history here on the Cafe, offers a Rover RM-50 for $240. This is an all-solid-wood (good), heat-pressed, not carved (not so good), mandolin that you could certainly learn on. You'd need to get it set up, or use the Rob Meldrum e-book to do it yourself.

As to used, look around. You won't find a helluva lot around $200, but they're out there. Look for solid wood rather than plywood (if it's solid woods, the advertisement or the specs you look up will say so). Don't get fooled by bling-y finishes or (plastic) inlays, or by descriptions such as "select woods" (still plywood).

4. Set-up - How can a get a copy of Rob's book on set-up?
    From Rob Meldrum himself: "Just email rob.meldrum@gmail.com and put Mandolin Setup in the subject line."

Final piece of advice: double your budget, look for a Kentucky K-150 or a 300-series Eastman, new or used. These are mandolins that have been tested and recommended by dozens of Cafe members, and that you can stay with for years as you learn and expand your skills. I worked a bit for an instrument dealer, and he constantly complained that people would try to learn on "budget" instruments that would challenge the skills of an experienced player, to get around on their fretboards, or make decent sound. You're an experienced musician; a $200 mandolin is roughly equivalent to a $100 guitar. How long would you be satisfied with a $100 guitar?

Good luck; let us know what you come up with.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Welcome!

Unless buying used, which could potentially have its own set of problems (like waiting for something used to pop up, or buying something broken and not realizing it) $200 just simply doesn't go very far with Mandolins these days. The instruments out there in that price range are not very inspiring and may not be much fun to learn on.

Do you know anyone that might let you borrow a mandolin? That way you can 1) See if it's for you and not lose more time on your Mandolin journey, and 2) Maybe save up a little more.

Good luck and happy picking
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

You are an experienced musician, I don't think you will be happy with a <$200 instrument. I am an experienced musician also, and when I decided to learn mandolin, I bought a used The Loar LM 220 for $200 (thank heaven it was a fairly good one,) and quickly did not care for the tone, and immediately upgraded (within 6 months.) I found the Cafe and called The Mandolin Store (NFI) and purchased 2 lifetime keepers (yes I am crazy.) YMMV, but if you purchase a used A-style, you can likely sell it for what you pay for it if you decide you don't care for the instrument.

Blog Entries

And FWIW from a thousand miles away, a mandolin usually costs twice a comparable guitar. So how much guitar can you get for $100.00?

Second, for the most part, acoustic electric mandolins are offered to attract guitarists over.

Within the mandolin world, one is likely better off buying the best acoustic instrument one can afford, and adding high quality electrics. Or using a microphone of course.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Allen and Jeff gave you good information but i'd like to reiterate what they said about cost. The usual ratio is that a mandolin costs about twice that of a comparable quality guitar. That being said, you can get a $49 Rogue (from Musician's Friend) which is made of plywood, has a thick neck, possibly unleveled frets, a too-high nut and not much resonance and turn it into a use-able beginner instrument with Rob's book. He's done it himself, and I owned one that, with a $60 setup, kept in tune and didn't shred my fingers to play. I thought it sounded like a jack-in-the-box, but someone who didn't play mandolin thought it was great. YMMV, but there is that option. You can spend pretty minimal for what we often call mandolin-shaped objects, but for something like that, setup is absolutely necessary.

Welcome to the cafe and the wacky world of mandolins! There are a lot of 'reformed' guitarists here and if you do a search, you can find several threads talking about making the transition, the differences between mandolin and guitar, whether a wider fretboard would be more comfortable, upgrades, genres, finger-picking, capos, electronics and whatnot.

Glad to have you join!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

10. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Playability and good sound can be quite independent. I think, for a newbie, having this (smaller, high string tension, high pitched) instrument set up accurately is vital to spending any time at all learning it. Fairly inexpensive ones can suffice. Every one, new or used, should be gone over.
    But to get really involved, and play a lot, sound matters. The advice given above about brands and construction is excellent, but be aware that what speaks to you may be an instrument that another player might choke over. Some good sustain and tonal clarity would be a start.

As usual a new person here posts and then doesn’t check in to see if anyone responded.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

They also could be reading the responses but not be ready to reply yet.

15. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    As usual a new person here posts and then doesn’t check in to see if anyone responded.
    I have seen an OP respond for the first time after many more posts than are now on this thread.

Still, I sometimes wonder if a person making an enquiry gets overwhelmed by the information given. Perhaps a person is expecting to hear, "What you need is an Acme mandolin," but instead gets many people commenting on how they can't get what you want for the money they want to pay, and what to do instead. I'm not saying that the people responding are wrong, just that a newcomer might find it discouraging.

By the way, for $200 down, my local music chain store would let me take a more expensive instrument home, then pay it off in instalments. Of course, the down payment and monthly payments would be proportional to the price of the instrument).
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

I want to thank all of you for your wonderful advise and information. I would have replied sooner but my wife tested positive for COVID and things have been hectic.

I have really taken to heart the comments recognizing that I am an accomplished guitarist and would not be happy with a $200 instrument.

As I said, I have no problem with a used instrument and would be willing to go to $400-$500 dollars.

Can anyone suggest websites, stores, etc., where I can search for a used instrument?

Thank you all again.

Mike G. from Wayne, NJ

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misterg16 For This Useful Post:

Perhaps there is an instrument in the classifieds here that could be recommended.

I have been reading up on the Eastman MD305. Any comments would be appreciated.

Blog Entries

Eastman and Kentucky are the most frequently mentioned "starter" instrument bands here. Of the two, my personal preference would be a 300 series Eastman. Get it new from one of our sponsors. Or used by watching our classified section - or maybe reverb.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

I have been reading up on the Eastman MD305. Any comments would be appreciated.

Piccolos Music has it for $510 with a bag. Seems like a good price. Has anyone ever dealt with them?

https://www.piccolosmusic.com/p-2899...lin-w-bag.aspx

24. The following members say thank you to misterg16 for this post:

No worries, Mike we understand. There have been at times folks who post here a question and never come back. They forget they even posted.

I don’t know Piccolo music at all but they sound like a good bet. A family store and every person who works there plays mandolin. I would call and talk to them with that mandolin in hand. Could be avoid bet especially if they set it up before shipping it out. You will not get that at your local Guitar Center. I have heard that Eastman Would be a good quality mandolin to start.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks so much for the info Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    No worries, Mike we understand. There have been at times folks who post here a question and never come back. They forget they even posted.

I don’t know Piccolo music at all but they sound like a good bet. A family store and every person who works there plays mandolin. I would call and talk to them with that mandolin in hand. Could be avoid bet especially if they set it up before shipping it out. You will not get that at your local Guitar Center. I have heard that Eastman Would be a good quality mandolin to start.

Mike, you've been given good answers here. I too had played guitar for over 50 years and had tried a few times to learn mandolin, but always with cheap starter instruments. I never made much progress until I got my first good mandolin. It was day and night how much progress I could make on a mandolin that sounded good and played good.

However it is difficult to know what is a decent mandolin when first starting, so that is where a recommendation is helpful from those with knowledge and experience. Good luck in your first purchase. Whatever you get, play it for all it's worth.

Mike (the OP), I had an Eastman 305 that I purchased as a travel instrument a few years ago. I liked it a lot. So much so that it ended up being my main player. The tuners are much maligned here, but I had no issue with them at all. I would still have it were I not downsizing my instruments. Mine had a great set up, stayed in tune, had great playability (it had a narrowish neck-which was fine for my smallish hands) good sustain and tone was really good (sounded best witth Monel strings). I hope that helps you out. BTW, Welcome to the "Cafe"
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Oh, and let us all wish your wife the best, Mike. This damned COVID pandemic has us all looking over our shoulders, and worrying about what used to be the most ordinary daily activities.

I was hosting a gig last May, and said to the audience, "We've spend the past year living in fear." At that point I thought that relief was in sight, almost imminent; now we have more documented cases than ever. The pandemic has changed so much in our lives. Those, like myself, who are vulnerable due to age etc., can never just relax and not worry.

Good luck in your mandolin quest; you're making some good decisions, and looking at some good alternatives. Let us know what you finally decide -- and get some solace and enjoyment out of acquainting yourself with a wonderful instrument.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

30. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Thanks so much Allen. She's already on the mend. It has run through our family but thankfully, I haven't gotten it yet. I have multiple risk factors as well.

Looks like I am going to go with an Eastman MD305 A-Style Mandolin. Hopefully I can get it all set up for $510 with a bag. I think it's a good choice for me.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterg16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Mike. Yeah I pretty much decided on getting the Eastman.

34. The following members say thank you to misterg16 for this post:

Playing on the porch

I am quite hopeful that you made a great choice. I was very happy with my Eastman for years. Enjoy your new mandolin; it is an extraordinary instrument.

Best to your family and welcome to the Cafe.
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

Rob Meldrum rob.meldrum@gmail.com
    E-Mail Rob and ask for a copy of his set up guide, i ask and got it same day, great stuff.