Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total Newbee looking for info

Default Re: Total Newbee looking for info

So I just purchased my Eastman. What other accessories would the group suggest that I have to begin learning to play?

Thanks.

Mike G. from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by GMorgan View Post
    I am quite hopeful that you made a great choice. I was very happy with my Eastman for years. Enjoy your new mandolin; it is an extraordinary instrument.

Best to your family and welcome to the Cafe.

A plectrum !

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

If you are going to set up your mandolin just know that it ain't hours shoes. You can be right orb you can be wrong, but you can't be almost. if a string is slightl higher than the one next to it , or rides back in the nut ever so slightly further than the next you won't be able to tune it. Must be much more precise than a guitar. It's nothing really hard about a set up just nerve racking to be so precise.

Playing on the porch

Mike,

Great to hear you purchased your Eastman.

First thing to do is make sure it has a proper setup. That makes all the difference in the world.

I approached playing mandolin as an old violinist. I just started to play what I already knew. However, you can find references to books and video courses in the Cafe and that can help you get started. I have also searched Youtube many times on all sorts of mandolin topics and quite often find the tidbits to keep me going.

Later, experimenting with different picks and strings will help you customize the experience and the sound.

Enjoy!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

My suggestions?

1. Electronic tuner. The Snark is pretty much ubiquitous now, decent for the money. I like the li'l tiny D'Addarios that I can leave on the back of the headstock and no one knows they're there. Around 20-25 bucks plus or minus.

2. Something to keep it in. Hardshell case is the best, but a thoroughly padded gig bag will do. Even if you're not taking it out to gig or jam, better not to leave it out uncased or unbagged. You can go $40-150 depending on what you get.

3. In-case humidifier. Winter's tough on wooden instruments; indoor humidity drops down to 30% or less, and thin, straight-grained wood can split along grain lines as the wood cells lose moisture and shrink. Dampit's kinda been the standard, but there are other brands; a few bucks.

4. Strap; even if you're not planning on playing standing up, a strap helps you position the instrument on your lap, and is pretty much a necessity if you stand (how did "Jethro" Burns and Dave Apollon get away with playing "strapless?"). You can make one out of a shoelace, or spend more than $100 on a fancy tooled leather creation.

Lots more accessories and goodies available, but that would be my basic "kit.
    "
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

mystrey16, listen to Jim Garber. I also played the guitar for a long time prior to getting a mandolin. I bought a cheap one and was disappointed almost from the start. You will be much happier is you invest in a medium priced mandolin. Good luck.

Thank you again everyone for all the wonderful information. I ordered the Eastman I can't wait for it to arrive. $510 with a bag and all set up. Great deal.

Congratulations, misterg16! Sounds like a good choice and. Using it from a place that sets it up is smart. As far as a pick, see how you do with your regular guitar picks. Most of us started out using those and once you are into it might explore different ones for mandolin. But for the moment Allen’s and others suggestions will set you right. And we are here for further questions if you need us.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Agree completely about the strap - even playing seated, you don't want to risk your mandolin falling off your lap and hitting the floor. It's a cheap safety issue IMHO.

Nothing wrong with straps but for me personally the only time I ever use one is when I play standing up which these days is rare. Once again, the OP is a guitar player and can probably make that choice based on that experience and after owning the instrument even for a week or so. It is a process.

I know of many folks who start say woodworking and buy every tool under the sun but after awhile who find the ones they really use. Get used to the instrument and see where it goes. Just my dos centavos.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I just want to take the opportunity to thank everyone on this thread for all the great information. And I'd like to thank Rob Meldrum for the set-up guide. rob.meldrum@gmail.com

Get yourself a capo.
    Yes!
    Put the capo on the first fret and see how it feels. Play some scales.

Now take the capo off and if it’s more difficult to play then you definitely need to get a setup.

[Don’t let anyone see you playing a mandolin with the capo on, but an octave mandolin is probably ok, it depends]

Allen,

Which Snark would you recommend. I am looking at the SN5X.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    My suggestions?

1. Electronic tuner. The Snark is pretty much ubiquitous now, decent for the money. I like the li'l tiny D'Addarios that I can leave on the back of the headstock and no one knows they're there. Around 20-25 bucks plus or minus.

2. Something to keep it in. Hardshell case is the best, but a thoroughly padded gig bag will do. Even if you're not taking it out to gig or jam, better not to leave it out uncased or unbagged. You can go $40-150 depending on what you get.

3. In-case humidifier. Winter's tough on wooden instruments; indoor humidity drops down to 30% or less, and thin, straight-grained wood can split along grain lines as the wood cells lose moisture and shrink. Dampit's kinda been the standard, but there are other brands; a few bucks.

4. Strap; even if you're not planning on playing standing up, a strap helps you position the instrument on your lap, and is pretty much a necessity if you stand (how did "Jethro" Burns and Dave Apollon get away with playing "strapless?"). You can make one out of a shoelace, or spend more than $100 on a fancy tooled leather creation.

Lots more accessories and goodies available, but that would be my basic "kit.
    "

There’s also ‘pano tuner’ free for iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Also Android, should you not be Apple oriented

Playing on the porch

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post

I use "Violin Tuner", another free app on my iPhone. There are four buttons at the bottom of the screen for G, D, A & E. I am comfortable tuning by ear, so that is all I need.

Enjoy your mandolin!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

Quote Originally Posted by misterg16 View Post
    Allen,

Which Snark would you recommend. I am looking at the SN5X.

Thanks.
    I used the ol' ST-2's when I used 'em. They've got a microphone/vibration option which means you can tune wind instruments. And Autoharps. The SN5X has a better display, though.

Be careful of the "ball joint" between the mounting arm and the tuner body. It's not as sturdy as it should be; I've had a couple Snarks where the socket's broken and I had to glue 'em in a fixed position. They still worked, but...

Also, Snarks I've owned have been "battery pigs." Make sure you turn yours off when you've finished tuning. I'm not convinced of the reliability of the "dead man switch" that supposedly turns a Snark off if it doesn't hear any vibrations for a couple minutes.

And, of course, if you tune up and then start playing, the "dead man switch" doesn't operate.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Also, while not actually gear, Mike Marshall has a lovely Youtube video on how to hold the mandolin. Like hand position, it's not exactly the same as holding a guitar -- the balance is different, for one thing. No reason, starting out, you should transfer over good guitar technique blindly, since it's occasionally terrible mandolin technique. The idea is to think of the mandolin as an entirely different instrument from guitar, as if you were taking up the flute or sax. Start from the beginning with basic stuff -- how to hold the instrument for best ergonomics, how to place your hands on the fretboard, how to hold the pick. None of this is necessary to play mandolin, but it is needed (with some notable exceptions) if you want to move up the chain from intermediate to advanced to pro.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Big thanks to Rob Meldrum for his free ebook on mandolin setup! A very gracious Rob answered my query about the book very quickly with a link to a copy of his great book on how to set up a mandolin. Mr. Meldrum makes this available to forum members upon request at rob.meldrum@gmail.com. Thank you again for your kindness to the forum community, sir.

There are lots of possible toys for your new musical pet and many of the kind folks here will recommend but I say get what *you* think you will need and spend the rest of the time familiarize yourself with playing and finding out what you can do. Too many folks here myself included spend way too much time playing computer keyboard or spending lots of money instead of playing music. Just my dos centavos.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Recently got an Eastman 315 and I'm happy with it. Thanks to Rob Meldrum for his setup guide.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misterg16 View Post
    So I just purchased my Eastman. What other accessories would the group suggest that I have to begin learning to play?

Thanks.

Mike G. from NJ
    I'm not sure how busy your house is (kids, pets running around) or of the humidity, especially in the Winter, but a nice, sturdy stand is good accessory. I've found that if my instruments are easily accessible I'll play them more.

I agree with what others have said above... picks, a tuner, a capo, a strap.

Picks: try many. I like Wegan TF130

Tuner: I like the D'Addario micro headstock clip on type.

Capo: it's for when you're playing with a singer who likes Bb (or other keys I'm not proficient at).

A strap: it helps for when you're standing.

Congratulations and happy picking!
    Worlds okay-ist mandolin player

Relative newcomer

Weber Yellowstone F (2015)
    Red Valley EM (2018)
    Howard Morris Blue A4 (2023)
    Flatiron 1N (1982)

https://youtube.com/@zachwilson54?si=iGum4xPlSj0pbcjj

Just wanted to thank everyone here for the great info. My Eastman has arrived. I'm going to give "https://www.mandolessons.com/" for on-line lessons. Has anyone used that website? Your thoughts. Thanks.