Thread: Ovation MM68 Low volume E string

Default Ovation MM68 Low volume E string

I just bought an American made MM68. It has great sound when not plugged in but very low volume on the E string when amplified. Does anyone have the same problem or suggestions on how to fix it?

Default Re: Ovation MM68 Low volume E string

Never seen one, but if it has the original multi-piezo pickup, one crystal might be broken or disconnected. Could be easy to identify with saddle removed, or the shims that establish contact. Not a simple layout. You could also pick up the signal before the preamp to see if the latter is the problem. Ovation guitar players may be a larger source of information.
    Apologies if I’ve got this all wrong.

3. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Nevin 

I think you got it totally right Richard.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Never seen one, but if it has the original multi-piezo pickup, one crystal might be broken or disconnected. Could be easy to identify with saddle removed, or the shims that establish contact. Not a simple layout. You could also pick up the signal before the preamp to see if the latter is the problem. Ovation guitar players may be a larger source of information.
    Apologies if I’ve got this all wrong.
    Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

also check that the saddle is making good contact with the piezo.

It appears to be an intermittent problem, I can play it thru an A-B switch and it works sometimes. Is there a replacement Piezo you can recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by higgs View Post
    It appears to be an intermittent problem, I can play it thru an A-B switch and it works sometimes. Is there a replacement Piezo you can recommend.
    If the problem is intermittent, it is more likely a loose wire or bad solder joint than a bad piezo. In my experience, when a piezo goes they just go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    If the problem is intermittent, it is more likely a loose wire or bad solder joint than a bad piezo. In my experience, when a piezo goes they just go bad.
    I repair electronics professionally. I do not see how an intermittent bad connection would
    affect just the E string. My ovation mandolin is currently fully disassembled (even the bridge
    is off, the hard way) and I think there is only 1 wire (plus ground) going from
    the piezo pickup to the preamp. If something is intermittent and only the E string
    is affected, the fault must be on the piezo pickup assembly somewhere (or acoustic coupling
    from E strings to piezo). I am now curious and I will go look at this assembly more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    I repair electronics professionally. I do not see how an intermittent bad connection would
    affect just the E string. My ovation mandolin is currently fully disassembled (even the bridge
    the piezo pickup to the preamp. If something is intermittent and only the E string
    is affected, the fault must be on the piezo pickup assembly somewhere (or acoustic coupling
    from E strings to piezo). I am now curious and I will go look at this assembly more closely.
    I was under the impression the Ovation system had separate piezos for each course of strings. If the connection between the "E" piezo and the rest of the system was loose you would have the symptoms you described.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    I was under the impression the Ovation system had separate piezos for each course of strings. If the connection between the "E" piezo and the rest of the system was loose you would have the symptoms you described.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    My ovation mandolin is currently fully disassembled (even the bridge
    the piezo pickup to the preamp. ... I am now curious and I will go look at this assembly more closely.
    It took me a few days to visit my office, take pictures and post them here.

As I remembered, there is only 1 signal wire plus ground coming out of the assembly. The white stuff is plastic (a bit softer than graphtec), the black base U-channel is metal. The assembly is sealed, cannot be opened. My physicist expert and myself agree that inside is likely one long piezo crystal. (not 4 small per-string crystals). Quality of soldering is very good.

To return to OP's problem, it is possible their piezo crystal is cracked between the A and E strings (terminal wires are on the G string side).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220325_234044761.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	941.3 KB 
ID:	200412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220325_234051546.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	940.2 KB 
ID:	200414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220325_234100460.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	779.0 KB 
ID:	200415  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220325_234114833.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	998.0 KB 
ID:	200416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220325_234150979.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	447.0 KB 
ID:	200417   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220325_234202777.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	254.3 KB 
ID:	200418