Thread: Koady Chaisson, RIP

Default Koady Chaisson, RIP

This is a complete shocker resonating in the Canadian trad music community today. Koady Chaisson, brilliant tenor banjo player in the East Pointers, has died suddenly aged 37.

The Chaisson family has been a mainstay of Prince Edward Island’s music community for generations. Koady played for many years with his cousin Tim Chaisson. When they started their band the East Pointers he switched from rhythm guitar to tenor banjo, and damn, he was something else. We’re all in initial shock reaction to this terrible news.

Don’t know what happened to him. I only met him once or twice, he was a totally nice guy (typical Maritimer and then some) and when I saw what he was doing in the East Pointers, he really inspired me to work at learning tenor banjo technique. I gather that like most Chaisson, he started woth the fiddle.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...uary-1.6307210
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

Default Re: Koady Chaisson, RIP

Thanks for sharing that sad news, Bill. To others, if you get a chance to hear any musician named "Chaisson" or "Arsenault" from PEI, don't pass up the opportunity. Most of them are fiddlers, but they're a versatile bunch of musicians.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

3. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    Thanks for sharing that sad news, Bill. To others, if you get a chance to hear any musician named "Chaisson" or "Arsenault" from PEI, don't pass up the opportunity. Most of them are fiddlers, but they're a versatile bunch of musicians.
    Q: How do you clear a dance floor in PEI?
    A: Announce “there’s a phone call for Mr or Ms Arsenault—Chaisson-Gallant in the lobby payphone”
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

5. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

Ranald 

The East Pointers, Koady on banjo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBF9...tionalFestival

"I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Very sad news indeed, may he Rest in Peace.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Blog Entries

I learned about them a number of years ago, catching them in small rooms playing to appreciative audiences at Folk Alliance International in Kansas City. After that I'd listen to them on Spotify while on walks or cooking and really gained an appreciation for their music. A wonderful band, and Koady was clearly a brilliant talent. This is incredibly sad news, indeed.

Thanks for posting, Bill. Not only was Koady Chaisson a monster tenor banjo player -- one of the best -- but also brilliant on mandolin, guitar, fiddle and piano, and a great composer. Tenor banjo was actually the last instrument he took up! I took several lessons from him and he inspired my playing. We were also friends (I sold him his current banjo), and my wife and I had a wonderful Christmas afternoon visit with him and his lovely wife, Chloe, just two short weeks ago, so his sudden passing was a real shocker. He will be sadly missed very, very much by all who knew him. RIP Koady.
    Too many instruments...too little time

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBarton For This Useful Post:

That is just so sad, I had the pleasure of hearing Koady along with The East Pointers a couple of times when they played The Prism Coffee House here in Charlottesville. Always high energy and positive music and really good people. RIP Koady.

If you would like to hear part of the broadcast of The East Pointers last Prism Coffee House show our local radio station, WTJU, will be streaming the show at 8:00pm EST as a dedication to Koady. You can listen online by going to WTJU.net and launch the streaming player.

14. The following members say thank you to Gary Alter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BBarton View Post
    Thanks for posting, Bill. Not only was Koady Chaisson a monster tenor banjo player -- one of the best -- but also brilliant on mandolin, guitar, fiddle and piano, and a great composer. Tenor banjo was actually the last instrument he took up! I took several lessons from him and he inspired my playing. We were also friends (I sold him his current banjo), and my wife and I had a wonderful Christmas afternoon visit with him and his lovely wife, Chloe, just two short weeks ago, so his sudden passing was a real shocker. He will be sadly missed very, very much by all who knew him. RIP Koady.
    I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. The Island is a small world. I'm sure that many Islanders are grieving.

16. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

The Island is indeed a small world. and the music community here was stunned by the news. We've only lived here a few months, having come from the Perth, ON, area, so our paths may have crossed at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by BBarton View Post
    The Island is indeed a small world. and the music community here was stunned by the news. We've only lived here a few months, having come from the Perth, ON, area, so our paths may have crossed at some point.
    Or we may cross paths on the Island, where my mother was born and raised, and where --until covid -- I spent most summers of my life (Augustine Cove, rural Albany, Wilmot Valley). I often took in the Rollo Bay Fiddle Festival, run by the Chaisson family. I also regularly attend fiddle events in the Abrams Village area.
    Last edited by Ranald; Jan-09-2022 at 12:39pm.

You guys don’t—er, didn’t— know each other?

Weird.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

20. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    You guys don’t—er, didn’t— know each other?

Weird.
    In truth, we likely do. Ever go to the "Vanier Stomp," BBarton, or to Kevin Dooley's Celtic sessions?

We've probably met too, Bill, as we move in the same circles. Ernie and Diane F, who know you, were over for dinner and an exchange of Cape Breton tunes a few weeks ago. (Now, don't get me started on my Cape Breton family and friends -- my dad was a Cape Bretoner.)

RIP Koady. Big loss in every way! Condolences to his family, band mates and friends.

Nope, never went to the Vanier stomp! I used to go the the monthly Swan on the Rideau sessions religiously for several years until covid messed up everything! Occasionally went to O'Connell's, but never liked the long drive home afterwards! But I do know Kevin Dooley! Also been to Rollo Bay Festival a few times, and will do so more now that we're on the island. I expect the family will want to keep the traditional alive.

24. The following members say thank you to BBarton for this post:

Ranald 

The East Pointers have been regular tourers in the UK where I have seen them perform three times. Koady was the dynamic anchor of the band with a brilliant technique and great stage presence. He will be sorely missed.